New Xears IEMs with flat cable
Aug 4, 2011 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Majin

500+ Head-Fier
I fell in love with the TD-III cause of their warm and full sound, they might not do well with constant mid bass sound but heck they only cost €38 incl. shipping

New Xears IEM with flat cable to prevent cables from tangling up (like Beats by Dr. Dre IEM). They should be availble within 2 - 3 weeks.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 22
They look incredibly cool, however not 100% sure about the flat cable. The Beats by Dr. Dre has an uncanny reputation for breaking due to their flat cable design. I honestly don't see the benefits of a flat cable design. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 22
If they are flexible enough it shouldnt break that easily and the flat cable prevents the wire from tangling, altough the flexible wire from Brainwavz is my favorite. And i like the looks from the flat cable.

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
They look incredibly cool, however not 100% sure about the flat cable. .......................... I honestly don't see the benefits of a flat cable design. 

They tangle much less, and do not make as much noise when you are moving around. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 22
Seems Thomas at Xears has got his stock now, ordered one (called the XGF500PRO) along with an XE200PRO for €60 delivered!

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 22
It'd be great if someone could post their impressions of these new xears when they get them. The XGF500PRO is the only xears earphone above €100, are these their flagship now? 

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 22
Apparently the €30 code applies for them still.

I'm no audiophile though so I'm not going to be able to give much of a review on them unfortunately. Hopefully they arrive next week.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 22
Well I received mine today, here are a few notes I made - my ears are still very untrained and my musical knowledge is poor so this isn't going to be an accurate review. Think of it as a noob review.

I listened to a few songs: Wedding Dress by TaeYang, Star by Youmee, Tik Tok by Ke$ha, Omen by The Prodigy and Melt 3M Mix by Gazelle.

Here were my observations when compared with the XE200PRO and from what I remember of the TD-III (v1) (They broke hence I got the new headphones):

XE200PRO:
The vocals were quite dominant in most of the songs I listened to, especially in Wedding Dress and the highs were certainly prominant too, you could hear a lot of detail in the mids and highs and the sound was very clear and warm at the same time. These headphones sounded very nice for ballads but it probably had the lowest bass out of all the headphones. The cable is a sort of cloth weave cord type and it's a Y-cord headphone. Isolation is not as good as the TD-III but with the foam tips it was good enough, however I felt the seal was not as good as the TD-III and therefore the sound quality could be even better but it's already better than the TD-III in my opinion as the TD-III was just tiny bit muddy with it's bass and it was not as detailed as the XE200PRO, I can't remember which one is warmer or more coloured though.

XGF500PRO:
I was a bit disappointed when I first heard them as I immediately knew I preferred the sound of the XE200PRO, however, that's not a bad thing as I did not pay much for them. It's bass is quite punchy yet detailed, although it doesn't have as much bass as the TD-III, it has more bass than the XE200PRO. I feel the highs are less prominent than the XE200PRO and it sounds less warm, and perhaps "thinner", punchier, than the XE200PRO. The mids didn't seem as tight but it was also detailed and clean, but not as much as the XE200PRO but moreso than the TD-III. I feel the sound of these is a little like a mix of the TD-III with the XE200PRO but they're also unique at the same time. I noticed these seem to require more power to drive though and the flat cable is quite soft so I'm not sure on the quality of it, I don't think it'll break easily though. It does carry more microphonics than the XE200PRO but I noticed you could wear these over ear to lessen the microphonics.

I've decided to keep the XE200PRO but I'm sure the XGF500PRO will appeal to people. The RRP is definitely overrated though, I reckon these should either sit on the same price as the XE200PRO or a tad bit higher than the TD-III.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
Thanks ulti, great review in comparing the three.....

I'm in the same boat..I have the TDIII and expecting the 200 & 500 sometime this week.  Are they both Y-cord and do they come with the same tip selection as the TDIII?

Thanks

I'm sure my review isn't actually any good as I'm still a newbie but thanks for the heads up! I just hope what I've written is half accurate so that noone shoots me down for giving them the totally wrong info haha. I've got to admit that hearing was never one of my strengths though.

They are indeed both Y-cord and they both come with the triple flange, double flange, single flange as well as the foam tips. The XE200PRO are packaged in a antistatic bag with a 2 extra pairs of tips - single flange small and large sizes.

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #14 of 22
Thanks...It was good Ulti....You covered sound, fit, price performance comparability between them etc...Well done....
beerchug.gif

What did you plug them into and what source files, if I may ask?

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 22
Thanks for the comparison Ulti. I see that you commented on them the day you received them, so maybe it'll sound a little different after some burn in time 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back