New vs "old" version Senn Cardas cables
Jul 14, 2002 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AC1

500+ Head-Fier
Just finished off the LA WOH tour, and discovered that their versions of the Cardas Senn cable was different than the one I received last week, the cables look and even sound quite different (I brought my own 600/cardas to the show).... I asked Todd about the one they had and he said they were "pre-production"... The cables they had were labeled as the 4x24 (I believe) cable with direction arrows on them, the ones I received does not have any label on the cable. The two also look different the 4x24 is thinner than mine and has a darker blue color to the jacket...
Well as far as how they sound, I can say they have quite a bit different characteristics. The 4x24 has a lot more emphasis on the treble as well as being more laid back with instruments spread farther back but not as dynamic. The cable I have sounds a lot fuller in the mid range area and everything sounds more in your face and bigger but with less soundstage depth, people who thought there was too much mid range bloom in the 600s might not like the cable I have. But I do prefer the fuller more dynamic presentation since instruments can sound a bit smallish and thin on the 4x24. With the systems there, the treble was also a bit harsh since it was so prominent on the 4x24.
I was afraid this might happen where a cable manufaturer changes the cable used and now has different "versions" of the cable, assuming they did ship out cables like the ones at the headroom tour?

(I just checked some of the pictures Darkangel had of his Cardas cable and it looks like they do have printing on them, so I guess people did get the version cable at the Headroom tour)

Jul 14, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Mine have the printing on them 4x24. I don't find them harsh. I bought them from Headroom when they were first released.

Jul 14, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 8
I also noticed the cosmetic differences between some of the cables in my last order from Cardas.
I asked Cardas about it and this is what Brian had to say:

"The cable without printing is the most current version. The only difference is in the jacket material. Internally they are the same. The 20 ft. cable you have was cut from the first spool a few months ago and it just took that long to get it to you."

I listened to both types and didn't hear any difference (But they sound really good).

Jul 14, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Yep, my Cardas does say "4 x 24" up near the R/L cable split for headphone. The directional arrows must be for cable assembly since cable can only be connected one direction.

Cardas Cable

Perhaps Cradas read these threads and are trying to "un-smurf"
the cable by changing blue color..........in which case I now own a highly collectable Cardas "smurf" cable
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 14, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Mine have the printing on them 4x24. I don't find them harsh. I bought them from Headroom when they were first released.

I found it harsh at the show, since personally I found the sound at the show to be rather harsh overall... I'm sure it could sound good with the right setup...

As for the sound, it was really obvious of the difference between the cables. I wonder if it is the headphones then??? Or it could be Headroom just has different cables than any of us??? Hm, I should have tried it by just swithing the cables on the same 600s. To me, the sound people have described might be more inline of the Cardas I heard at the show (especially the flattened mids etc) as opposed to how mine sounds.

Jul 16, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 8
aren't you listening to these cables on totally different systems? yours versus the one at the show?

Jul 16, 2002 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 8
As controversial as this is, perhaps burn-in is another factor that's missing from the equation as well?

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
aren't you listening to these cables on totally different systems? yours versus the one at the show?

No, I brought my own Cardas cord and 600s to the show and compared them side by side... All of Headrooms 600 w/cardas had the same sonic signature (that includes the blockhead with cardas cable). Mine sounded totally different.

As far as burn in, that is a possiblity and I have thought about it...Is their stuff not broken in? Or is my week and a half now, Cardas cable not broken in (mine had about 120 hours of play time on it)...Dunno, or maybe it could be the differnce in 600s, though I have not of any of the 600s being different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back