New vs old HD650?
Nov 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Headphoneus Supremus
I was not aware that there is a new and old version of the HD650 and that they sound different. Can anybody tell me what the physical and sonic differences between the two are? And around what date was the new HD650 circulated?

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was not aware that there is a new and old version of the HD650 and that they sound different. Can anybody tell me what the physical and sonic differences between the two are? And around what date was the new HD650 circulated?

Gradofan2 has written alot about this. He explained it to me this way:

"The new version has a white/silver metalic material extending out from the center of the grill towards the outer edges. [The old ones] have the black silk material.

The white felt material at the center, covering the driver butt is not the material I'm referrring to - its on all of them, new and old."

Re: sonic differences- search around here, I think there's a lot written about that.

Ira

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 35
heres a new one...
1000580xo5.jpg

heres the old one...

Sennheiser_HD650.jpg

heres my new hd600... same thing... silver material inside
DSCI5098.jpg

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heres a new one...

[IMAGE DELETED]

heres the old one...

[IMAGE DELETED]

heres my new hd600... same thing... silver material inside

[IMAGE DELETED]

Can't get much more graphic than that!
icon10.gif

Re: Searching-- many have had better luck using the Google search feature. Also, if you're a contributor, can use boolean searches. But I have to admit, I have a hard time getting searches right.

Here's a post within a thread discussing old vs new 600/650's, included within are links to several other threads...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4893809-post17.html

Good luck

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

So if I got it right, the new one has a silver lining, the old one has a black lining?

Aye. Also courtesy of Gradofan2 (I had an extended PM exchange w/him re: this issue), the following sources only sell the new 650's:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...o.x=15&Go.y=11

Sennheiser HD650 Stereo Headphone in Corded Headphones at JR.com

Per Gradofan2: "Have them each email you their "special price." It will likely be around $320. They both sell only the new version. And... they sound phenomenal!"

Obviously the "new" 650's are available from many other sources, just make sure they're the new ones if that's what you decide upon.

Ira

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 35
Here's the thread that started the storm...

I personally think it's bull..

I' own the "new" one, so I shouldn't be biased, but there's way too much assumptions made..
It's like concluding that because the shirt I purchased a year ago looks and feels different than the one that's on sale now,
the wizard of oz appears every night and zaps it with his magical shirt wand, making it smaller, duller, and softer little by little.
When in actuality, the shirt is duller, softer, and smaller, because I use it.
Even if by some chance they ARE different, some of the posts and attitudes by a few of the believers still really disgust me.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

So if I got it right, the new one has a silver lining, the old one has a black lining?

The new one has a silver lining; ergo, it is a cloud, and will sound more veiled than the old one.

o

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I' own the "new" one, so I shouldn't be biased, but there's way too much assumptions made..
It's like concluding that because the shirt I purchased a year ago looks and feels different than the one that's on sale now,
the wizard of oz appears every night and zaps it with his magical shirt wand, making it smaller, duller, and softer little by little.
Even if by some chance they ARE different, some of the posts and attitudes by a few of the believers still really disgust me.

I hear completetly opposite comments about new vs old one. Like the new one is less veiled sound brighter or the opposite.
I wonder if its not simply because they compare new hd 650 vs used hd 650 that are burned with used and softer pads and a bit more loose headband.

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back