New Vinyl & Warping?
Feb 28, 2006 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Organizer for Can Jam '09
About two weeks ago I purchased my first turntable a VPI Scout and I’ve been amassing my vinyl collection. So this evening I purchased some more LPs, John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme and Miles Davis’ Sorcerer. Yet both of these LPs are slightly warped, even though they are both brand new re-releases. A Love Supreme on a scale of one to ten, ten being worst is about a 2 and Sorcerer is about a 1.

Should I attempt to return them to Amoeba Music and run the risk that, even if, they have another copy, it could be the same, worst or even out of stock? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 3
Records can get a slight warp if the person running the stamper cools them at the wrong rate. Very slight warps are to be expected and will probably even press out when you put the record in your stacks vertically. I wouldn't worry about it unless the tonearm is going up and down a significant amount... more than a quarter inch.

See ya
Steve

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 3
Steve thanks for your input. I'll check the arm next time I spin these LPs, which should be within the next day or so. I think Sorcerer should pass your quarter inch test, but A Love Supreme might be on the borderline. I've ready put them in my vertical LP stack and my fingers are crossed that these minor warps get pressed out or minimized to a great extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back