New Vinyl Rig Recommendations
Jun 28, 2005 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
In the next year, I am going to be putting together a new main stereo rig from the ground up. I have most decided on the majority of the other components involved, but want some recommendations for a mid-priced vinyl setup. Price should not exceed roughly $900 including cartridge. The table/cartridge combos I have thought of so far are the -

Sota Comet+ Platinum
Rega P3 + Rega Elys
Music Hall MMF-5 + Grado Platinum

The overall setup will be as follows-

Turntable (???)
Rogue Audio 66 Magnum w/ phono
Rogue Audio 88
Magnepan MG12

Has anybody had experience with the tables mentioned above? Anybody compred the three? Have any other suggestions? Please do not suggest products considerably more expensive (VPI for example), because I really do not want to spend the money. Thanks.

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter braun
In the next year, I am going to be putting together a new main stereo rig from the ground up. I have most decided on the majority of the other components involved, but want some recommendations for a mid-priced vinyl setup. Price should not exceed roughly $900 including cartridge. The table/cartridge combos I have thought of so far are the -

Sota Comet+ Platinum
Rega P3 + Rega Elys

Turntable (???)
Rogue Audio 88
Magnepan MG12

Has anybody had experience with the tables mentioned above? Anybody compred the three? Have any other suggestions? Please do not suggest products considerably more expensive (VPI for example), because I really do not want to spend the money. Thanks.

If you don't mind white or yellow, I may know where to get a new P3 with a Rega Elys cart for $725 plus shipping (the colored P3's are $50 more than the black). I had the P3 with a Clearaudio Aurum Beta S (a little more high end than the Elys) and it was a nice setup. It fell victim to upgraditis.

I currently have an mmf-5 with the stock cart and I love it. It will eventually fall victim to upgraditis.

I have not compared the 2 tables directly but if it were not a great deal on the mmf, I would have bought the white P3 mentioned above. I don't believe you could go wrong with either tt.

I can't comment on the Rogue pre and amp (although I am interested in them myself).

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 7
I demo'd the dedicated Rogue phono stage for a while, and it was better than entry level, but it was $900 by itself.

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 7
I've compared the Rega vs the Sota (Comet) and the Sota was a clear winner. Depth, musicality, imaging, etc. Just more listenable and organic. Besides, "everyone" has a Rega. Pshah.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Vinyl Asylum is another place to post this question- lots of good (and bad) responses to be had.

Good luck and enjoy. Make sure you get all the instruments (Shure guage, record brush, cart cleaner, spirit level, clamp (for the Sota), protracter, etc.). Todd is a great person to talk with/purchase from.

Go for the Sota/Grado combo- it's amazing. Really, I'm not partial. Well, okay, I am.

-Scrap

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter braun

Sota Comet+ Platinum
Rega P3 + Rega Elys

Turntable (???)
Rogue Audio 88
Magnepan MG12

Well, I think I'm the guy you need to talk to as I've owned almost all that gear.
You do realize the Music hall comes with a nice cartridge, the Goldring 1012GX? What you do is buy the stylus for the Goldring 1042 (the bodies are the same) and install that for an instant cartridge upgrade! Costs about $150. you can keep the 1012 stylus for a spare or really questionable records.

The Maggies are always a great choice, I had the 1.6, but the MG12 is not too far behind. As long as you have room to position them correctly, they are great.

Now for the Rogue gear:
I found the 66 pre-amp to be sort of muddy and rolled off sounding, I didn't like it. it lacked clarity. I sold it and got the 99 Magnum pre-amp which is vastly better in every single way.

The 88 Magnum amp is great also, much more powerful than you would imagine and it throws a great big soundstage.

I have moved up to much more expensive gear, but I still recommend all of these very highly.
Todd R

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I demo'd the dedicated Rogue phono stage for a while, and it was better than entry level, but it was $900 by itself.

The Rogue Stealth costs less than $800 new. They sell every now and then for $600 on AudioGoN.

NGF

Jun 28, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks everybody. I will probaly stretch for the Rogue 99 when the time comes. Has anyone else had any Sota versus Rega experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back