NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Mar 5, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #3,616 of 4,971
Yeah, I see your point, thanks.

I'm trying to minimize the impact of whatever opamps are on the soundcard. Bypassing the soundcard is really the only effective approach, but for the moment since I'm driving K601 I had expected that the Vali could be emphasized as much as possible in the audio chain.

I have a prototype USB DAC from a good friend and audio designer, but haven't put my hands on a pair of RCA cables yet tonight.

The Modi sounds like good bet, regardless. How much of this Schiit will I end up buying, though?

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #3,617 of 4,971
Ok, i see. I suggest running spotify at 100% (no problem there, 100% is the "base" volume, and anything less is just attenuation, NOT less amplification like it would be on analog). Then set your windows volume accordingly so the Vali is running in its sweet spot, which is a nice wide range, say from 10% to 80% output.

After you get your DAC, then run all digital volume in the computer at 100%, so the DAC gets all the bits it needs.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3,618 of 4,971
Btw, if all you lack right now is RCA cables, you probably have some around somewhere. Canniblize a pair from your tv, or run out to an all night drugstore, they'll have a cheap set that will do just fine for now!!

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #3,619 of 4,971
Ok, i see. I suggest running spotify at 100% (no problem there, 100% is the "base" volume, and anything less is just attenuation, NOT less amplification like it would be on analog). Then set your windows volume accordingly so the Vali is running in its sweet spot, which is a nice wide range, say from 10% to 80% output.

After you get your DAC, then run all digital volume in the computer at 100%, so the DAC gets all the bits it needs.

You.ve got my attention. So would the equivalent on a Macbook be to set iTunes at 100% and my Amarra player also at 100% with only the volume pot on the Vali to manipulate ?

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #3,620 of 4,971
You.ve got my attention. So would the equivalent on a Macbook be to set iTunes at 100% and my Amarra player also at 100% with only the volume pot on the Vali to manipulate ?
Yes :wink:

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,621 of 4,971
Is the Vali the same size as the Modi? Are they the same size as the Loki?. I was just thinking about the possibility of a triple stack with DSD playback. Pretty awesome for less than $500.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #3,622 of 4,971
I'm thinking about getting the Vali for my Sennheiser HD650, which I read should be an OK match. However, my other pair of favourite headphones are the Ultrasone Pro 900, anyone here who has tested the Pro 900 with Vali? The Pro 900 has an 40 ohm Impedance, I think this should be ok?  I'm going to be using the Vali my Matrix Quattro Dac (which is being swapped out with a Bitfrost sometime soon). 

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #3,623 of 4,971
  Is the Vali the same size as the Modi? Are they the same size as the Loki?. I was just thinking about the possibility of a triple stack with DSD playback. Pretty awesome for less than $500.

Yes, same size.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #3,624 of 4,971
I DID dig some up - some silver Flatline Blue Heaven cables from a previous life in audio. Got it all working with USB DAC into Vali. Spotify is at 100%, Windows volume no longer adjustable, and now the Vali volume tends to be no more than 20% with the K601. Gain and power to boot!

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #3,626 of 4,971
I know I am not hearing the HE-6 to its "full potential," but I think it sounds pretty solid out of the Vali.  Vocals not too bright, good space, and still very good bass when listening to my woofer test stuff.  This is not in comparison to any other amp, but rather to my HD800.  More like does the HE-6 still sound like a TOTL competitor to the HD800 on my humble system.  

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #3,628 of 4,971
So the answer is "yes" so far? Do u like the HE6 better overall, or in some aspects of the sound?

The answer is "yes" that I believe its character as a TOTL headphone shows up on the Vali.  I am definitely not saying that the Vali is enough to get the best from the HE-6, just that I am pleasantly surprised by how good it sounds.  I still prefer just about everything about the HD800 over the HE-6, especially the air and soundstage.  Sometimes I would like more bass rumble, but I listen to quite a bit of classical and as good as other headphones are, I haven't found one yet that I prefer to the HD800.  

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #3,629 of 4,971
  I'm thinking about getting the Vali for my Sennheiser HD650, which I read should be an OK match. However, my other pair of favourite headphones are the Ultrasone Pro 900, anyone here who has tested the Pro 900 with Vali? The Pro 900 has an 40 ohm Impedance, I think this should be ok?  I'm going to be using the Vali my Matrix Quattro Dac (which is being swapped out with a Bitfrost sometime soon). 

If the ultrasone is similar in sensitivity to the M80's my experience is that the m80 and Vali does not mingle well... The noise level is just too loud on my unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back