NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Oct 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #241 of 4,971
  I tried the O2 Objective because of all the hype and was totally disappointed.  I mean it was technically good for the price.  But it was so dry and unmusical to me. 
So I'm cautious at this point.  But it's hard not to get sucked in.  I respect Purrin and his ears but I also know his taste differ than mine.  So have to take that into consideration too. 

Also take into consideration that I too was highly unimpressed with the O2. And I don't think the O2 is good for the price either. Maybe $49. The O2 is currently used as a measurement amplifier, which is what it should be used for, not for listening.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #244 of 4,971
Any comparison to lyr since it beats all amps under 1,000 it should kill lyr

The Lyr is a great deal, there's nothing much other there at that price point, I much prefer the Lyr to many amps twice its price, and you get the advantage of being able to roll tubes. The Lyr will power some really hard to drive orthos and give them some oomph. But in absolute terms, I've never been a big fan of the Lyr. That's all I'll say and you can figure out the rest.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #245 of 4,971

Also take into consideration that I too was highly unimpressed with the O2. And I don't think the O2 is good for the price either. Maybe $49. The O2 is currently used as a measurement amplifier, which is what it should be used for, not for listening.

LOL.  Now you really got me interested! 

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #246 of 4,971
Not sure if I'll bite on it, I mean, for the price it should be an easy buy, but seeing that I usually rotate my headphones a lot when I go to work, I can't see the Vali as a viable option. Checking my usual gear:

Ultrasone Signature DJ --> Impedance: 32 Ohm
Perfect Sound Dido 901 --> Impedance: 16 ohms
Mad Dogs --> 50-something Ohms?!?
Alpha Dogs --> same as above!?
Yamaha HPH-MT220 --> Impedance: 37 Ohm
Sennheiser Momentum (on-ear) --> 18 Ohm
AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru Edition --> 32 Ohm (if I'm not mistaken)

So, the Mad Dogs (which I'll probably sell soon) and Alpha Dogs will probably do better with the Vali, but seeing that it pumps out 650mW at 32Ohm which is like half of what the Magni pumps out (while having an output impedance of less than 0.1...) well... not sure.

So will wait for more impressions and more headphones being tested (with similar impedances) or Purrin (or anyone with a proto, or maybe even Jason if he's reading this), if you can test with similar 'spec'ed' headphones, it will be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,.

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #248 of 4,971
I have a LCD-2, JH13 and Grado Magnum.  I know the LCD-2 is fine but it seems the JH13 and Grado Magnum is a no go with the Vali.
But honestly, I don't mind a little hiss or even a little Impedance mismatch.  Honestly, if the impedance mismatch is going to roll off the treble on the JH13 and Grado Magnum, that could be a good thing.  

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #251 of 4,971
My goodness, the Schiit hype train is picking up steam.

Folks are going to be mighty unhappy when they realize the best amp under $1000 isn't actually the one that's $119.

An in your opinion the best one is what, lmao?

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #252 of 4,971
Quote:

Friend listened to it for a night with HD800. Others also tried HD558. HD558/598/600/650/800 should be alright.

Yup. Pretty good sound from that little amp when using both HD558s and KSC-75s.

Folks are going to be mighty unhappy when they realize the best amp under $1000 isn't actually the one that's $119.

Which cans did you tried with the Vali?

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #253 of 4,971

So you've heard the Vali already?  No?  Maybe you should reserve judgement until you hear one. 

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but until you've heard one, you're doing nothing but assuming.  And you know what you do when you Ass U Me, right?

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #254 of 4,971

No?  Maybe you should reserve judgement until you hear one.

beerchug.gif
  I wish more people would do that .

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #255 of 4,971
So: Vali, Magni, or other similar priced amp for the HE-500? Best synergy/pairing, recommendations please if anyone has heard these combos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back