1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by lff, Oct 9, 2013.
First

Back
155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164
166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175
Next

Last
  1. thegunner100

The microphonics come from inside the tubes, so there's not much that can be done about it. Another user here tried putting rings onto the tube but that didn't help the microphonics at all.

2. mikemercer
    RELLY - 
    hmmmm

perhaps the socket???
    Choice of tube???
    I'm gonna write Jason and the gang and figure this out.

I haven't experienced any microphonics yet - but then again I haven't tapped on it.

3. nabwong
    The first thing I did when I got the vali was to open the amp and sure enough, the tubes were raised. Pushed them down and the micro phonic is down to a manageable 5 secs.

4. thegunner100

5. wje

thegunner100 did a good job of digging up the quotes from Jason.  I still have the "O" rings on my tubes.  When I initially documented the process, the tubes seemed to really quiet down from a microphonics standpoint when the RTV silicon was starting to cure.  Once it finished curing, there was very little improvement in the noted microphonics issue.  Basically, it's a "feature" with the Vali amp and nearly impossible to work around.  But, Schiit has apparently been selecting the tubes to minimize the effects to a degree.

Now, putting all the jibber-jabber aside, we all just need to appreciate what it really is.  A $119 amp that's capable of "showing up" the competition a few hundred bucks north of $119.  I've been swapping amps all around over the past few years.  The Vali is the real deal.  Enjoy the amp, put the rest of your cash aside for other upgrades or music.

To get the most out of the Vali:

1) Turn the amp on.

2) Plug in your headphones - preferably with a headphone extension to keep from moving the amp.

3) After about 30 seconds, place the headphones on your head.

4) If you need to apply volume adjustments, do it with the level adjustment in your player itself (e.g. Foobar).

Additional:

* Keep the amp on a solid surface so it doesn't jiggle or shake around.
    * Talk nice to it.  
    * Appreciate what you have and the bargain you've obtained for $119.00.
    * Enjoy your music!

6. NZheadcase
    +1

Great advice wje. 

7. mikemercer
    READ MY MIND!

Thus far, forgetting it's CRAZY-low price, this lil tube headphone amp has been loads of fun!
    But, $119????

I'm just psyched I'm hearing here what I heard at CanJam at RMAF 2013:
    (our CanJam report in Audio360.org - including comments on the Vali)

W/ my LCD-X and Mad Dogs (current version): Thus far (more cans to try of course) the sound is excitable and engaging, warm, but NOT in an overtly romantic or glossed-over kinda way. The sound has all the audiophile buzzwords I've been writing for years: Transparency, detail, authority, hell - taking a cue from @wje  - 

I'm just havin' FUN with this amp! and I'm using the lil HRT microStreamer as the DAC ahead of it (has a dedicated line-out) - because I didn't wanna throw one of my more expensive DACs at it yet.  This lil combo (altogether under 400 bucks) has me tappin my feet, lightin' up, and discovering tunes I haven't listened to in awhile.!!

HATS off @Jason Stoddard and crew!!

My review should be just as glowing as my first impressions in the report if this keeps up!!
    DSC00857.jpg

8. Mshenay
    YUP

great amp. Glad I got one :D 

mikemercer likes this.
  9. mikemercer
    H__ YEAH!!

Me too!

and I told Jason I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I asked for an industry accommodation price for this one!!
    [​IMG]

10. swannie007

I have this combo and enjoy it very much. I enjoy it a little more than my Vali HD650 combo as I find it a little too laid back for my taste. I prefer a little more of an analytical sound so enjoy the Q701 more but you may find otherwise, it is a very personal thing.
    Enjoy the music.

11. mikemercer
    A very personal thing indeed!!
    Well said.

After all, we're all reacting to art (music) and the technology that reproduces that art form (which, is itself another form of art)!!

I need resolution, but I also look for something in a system that's difficult to encapsulate: Soul
    I want it to translate the emotive energy of the music. The power in musical expression - and that's not always perfect.

So it all comes down to taste.
    That's only one of the reasons this community is such a great place to share about all these things:
    We all bring different experiences, biases, tastes, and history to our listening experience.

Back to topic:
    The Vali is sounding fantastic over here. I got it isolated on a Bright Star base with a Walker Audio puck atop the chassis because I heard about the noise issues before...
    Honestly, I forget what they said it did (the Walker puck), but I just use it for mass loading - helping to still resonances from continuing past the chassis,
     - that's what sold VPI magic bricks for so long - LOL

and I've been loving my music through it:
    SH.jpg
    I've been particularly lovin this record - Shlohmo's Pretty Much Amazing EP.
    Dig his mellow, almost-trap like sound...

12. jaywillin
    jason had responded earlier somewhere, its the choice of tube
    they've changed the adhesive used in the dampening , earlier units were arriving with tubes lifted off the pads.
    i just pushed my tubes back down onto the pads, and i just set my volume, after about 30-60 seconds, no ringing
    no biggie !!

13. Mshenay
    Again the vali is a magical little tube :D, the transparency of Solid State the heart and soul of Vaccum Tubes! I need to write up my review still <.< 

14. mikemercer
    That's a helluva quote!!  [​IMG] - I might have to steal it for my review - but I'll give you a credit!!  :wink:
    Just kidding
    But, seriously, well put!!

AWESOME
    good to hear!
    I haven't had any issues

15. brennanx1

Hi guys, I'd like to add on to these. 

This amp is amazing, and I can't believe I only spent $120. Now at 20+ hours, the amp is still improving. I optimized my media player's preferences so they use the Modi's full power. I take back everything I said before. It must have been the amp still breaking in. The bass is much better now, and it's still only at 20 hours now. At full volume, there isn't any noticeable distortion anymore either. Again, I'm using DT880 Premium 600 ohm headphones, and using my computer as a source, I have no issues with driving them (and I listen to music kinda loud too). 

First

Back
155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164
166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175
Next

Last