New user of ER-4P and some thoughts
Mar 19, 2002 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

freeflight

Head-Fier
I just picked up my ER-4P from FedEx. BTW, it comes with six identical white tips.

The insertion of ER-4P is easy by following Spad's tips. (Thanks, Spad). The cords basically point downward from the ears. Man, the micro-phonic effect is substantial, but tolerable to me. I think I can wear this thing for at least two hours.

The ER-4P sounds good (but not great) to me. I have some bass (with Beethoven's symphony No. 5), which is not as substantial as the case of V6 or HD-600. The volume on Panasonic SL-CT570 is around 2 to 3, much lower than the case of V6. I will try ER-4P with Porta Corda later.

I am confused if I get a good seal. For example, I can hear myself typing the keyboard with music on. (I read somewhere that you might not hear the typing with a good seal). On the other hand, the music sounds good and the ER-4P completely removes the venting noise of the AC.

Any thoughts on improving the seal?

Mar 19, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 18
Getting a good seal with fresh white tips can be tricky... you can hear the keyboard, yes, but somewhat faintly. Try the foamies, you get a good seal almost all the time... and compare the sound qualities.

The Etys are amazing earphones, though if you were looking for bass, it may not be what you were looking for...

Mar 19, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Getting a good seal with fresh white tips can be tricky... you can hear the keyboard, yes, but somewhat faintly. Try the foamies, you get a good seal almost all the time... and compare the sound qualities.

Thanks for the tip, I will try that later.

Quote:

Originally posted by chych
The Etys are amazing earphones, though if you were looking for bass, it may not be what you were looking for...

Bass heavy heaphone is not my cup of tea. I am looking for headphones as neutral as possible. I mentioned bass because people say that you can not hear bass with a bad seal.

I probably just need some experiments and break in with the ER-4P.

Mar 19, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 18
Am I supposed to install the shirt clip around the green barrel of the cord?

It seems that it is pretty hard to do that without breaking the clip. I also found looping the cord over the ear or neck reduce the micro-phonic effect a lot.
biggrin.gif

After some experiments, the Etys sounds amazing to me with good recordings . The ER-4P is so good that I would get a second pair if I had the money.

Mar 19, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by freeflight
Am I supposed to install the shirt clip around the green barrel of the cord?

It seems that it is pretty hard to do that without breaking the clip. I also found looping the cord over the ear or neck reduce the micro-phonic effect a lot.
biggrin.gif

After some experiments, the Etys sounds amazing to me with good recordings . The ER-4P is so good that I would get a second pair if I had the money.

Yep, just press the clip onto the green resistor pod. It feels like it may break, but it won't.

If the microphonics is driving you nuts, it can be completely eliminated by replacing the cable with Fixup's $40 model.

You'll love the Ety's forever if you can bear them now. They are worth practically any effort required to adapt to them.

Mar 19, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 18
I would much rather have that grey pod. Screw this, I'm painting my resistor pod to match my car......... wait a minute, I don't even have a car anymore.

Mar 19, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #10 of 18
4T????!!!

MY 4P has the green pod.

Mar 19, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #11 of 18
Might be a case of age, the 4Ps I bought about 3-4 years ago had a green pod that was longer than the current day's pods (longer than the one in chych's pic), and also came with a beige cloth carrying case rather than the black vinyl one they use nowdays. Maybe Etymotic stuck in a new color for the pods to make them more easy on the eye.

Mar 19, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 18
I found that I do not have as much insulation as I read before. I can still hear people talking with music on, though faintly, which means that I do not know what they are talking about.

The seal is tight and music sounds nice. Is this a problem of the seal or the normal case for everbody?

Mar 19, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by freeflight
I found that I do not have as much insulation as I read before. I can still hear people talking with music on, though faintly, which means that I do not know what they are talking about.

The seal is tight and music sounds nice. Is this a problem of the seal or the normal case for everbody?

With the foamies, I can hear some external noises VERY slightly. With the silicon tips and music playing at what I consider normal listening volume, not overly loud, I can hear nothing....nada, zip, zilch, bubkus. My wife has yelled for me to get the phone and she finally has to come over and tap me on the shoulder....scares the hell out of me. Check your seal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 18
joelongwood's right, as usual. If you can still hear average talking at all w/ the music playing, your seal needs some work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back