New user, looking for an iGrado alternative.
Dec 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

doginabag

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.  I have been doing a lot of reading around on headphones on the web lately and this forum always comes up in every search result, so about time I signed up and consulted the experts!  

Christmas is quickly catching up with me and my better half is pestering me for ideas.  The only thing I can think of that I am lacking is a half decent set of headphones.  

The trouble is, I don't like buying audio based on faceless recommendations if I can help it.  But the age of the internet has killed the traditional shops and there is literally nowhere I can find to demo some products.

There is a store relatively close to me that stock Grado headphones.  I listened to the iGrados and love the sound.  Yes I know they may not be the ultimate in SQ, but for their price point I can't fault them.

There are two issues that are holding me back though.  One is I think I might prefer the traditional over the head style, and the second is I am being put off by them being open back.  I know this generally means a better sound, but if I am wearing these at work, on the bus etc, I'm not sure I want to be sharing my music with the world.  

The first, it seems like the SR60 would be the obvious choice, if what I have read is correct, they are only a few more dollars than the iGrados.  But over here they are more than double the price!

And regarding the open back issue, then I guess that means I need to just look else where anyway.  

Just looking online, the other headphones that are at my price point are the Sennheiser HD449.  Not sure what else is out there, especially without being able to hear anything!  

I know style is not the thing to look for.  But ignoring that a minute, in my eyes these are sexy!http://www.johnlewis.com/231638323/Product.aspx

What would your suggestions be?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back