New UE18pro's Problem
Sep 26, 2010 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Poksao

New Head-Fier
I have had ue super fi 5 pro's for years and love them. I just recently got a pair of ue18's and it seems like something is missing. They are a very comfortable fit but the sound just isn't as "fun" as my super fi 5's. I started re-ripping my music into FLAC and have noticed an improvement, but they still aren't what I had hoped. Is it possible I need a head phone amp? I thought they just make it louder, I don't need that. I want "fuller" music (whatever that means). 
The players have sufficient volume so I have been hesitant to think about amp's. Anyone have any advice?

My current setup is 
UE18Pro
SuperFi 5 pro
Cowon O2pmp
creative nomad vision:m

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 15
I am sorry no one is answering your question, because something sounds really wrong. I can't help at all, but I'll bump.

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 15
They should already sound 'fun' and 'musical', UE18 isn't subtle. do they fit correctly? (if you apply pressure to them while they're in does the sound change?)  I would suggest an RSA portable amp, or a DAC/AMP combo if you also plan to use it with a CPU.

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
I am sorry no one is answering your question, because something sounds really wrong. I can't help at all, but I'll bump.

Thanks.

Quote:
You might try running it through a home reciever if you have a decent one. It will at least amp it decently and that should help you understand a little better. 

I don't really have any decent home equipment, just a cheap stereo and a computer with on-board sound.

Quote:
They should already sound 'fun' and 'musical', UE18 isn't subtle. do they fit correctly? (if you apply pressure to them while they're in does the sound change?)  I would suggest an RSA portable amp, or a DAC/AMP combo if you also plan to use it with a CPU.

I think they fit correctly, I used the sensaphonics seal test and heard the high tone clearly and the low tone I half heard half felt and they sure do block out sound. Just tested and I don't hear a difference when I push on them. 
It could very well be that there is no problem, but I need to get used to a different sound then my super fi 5 pro's.

I have two questions that might clear this up.
1. Is there such thing as a "burn in" period with balanced armature iem's?
2. does an amp just make everything louder uniformly or is it possible some frequencies are not being pushed hard enough by my media players and an amp will take care of this.

I have read through the forums as best I could and can't seem to get a clear picture as to the answer to these questions. I know the balanced armatures tend to have low impedance in general but still see plenty of pics with amps.

Thanks for all your help.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 15
I don't know what you meant by 'not as fun as the super fi 5's' but the problem I found with the UE 18 Pros is that they don't have enough highs.

However, since they were designed for musicians to monitor themselves while performing on stage, it would be quite logically not to have too much highs as that could damage their hearing permanently if they were to monitor loud, which the 18 Pros are more than capable of, without distortions.

I don't know whether burning in would help but mine has been burnt in for over 150 hours and the highs are still lacking.

I personally don't think an amp would help much either as it would usually improve the bass more than the highs.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 15
I think I see what you mean about the highs. I think the 5's are also a bit louder as I tried doing a test to see how they sounded different by using a splitter with an 18 in one ear and a 5 in the other then switched and I could always hear the 5's more.

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #9 of 15
So, come to a conclusion yet?...do you wanna sell your UE18 to me with double of your SF5Pro price ^_^

Quote:
I have had ue super fi 5 pro's for years and love them. I just recently got a pair of ue18's and it seems like something is missing. They are a very comfortable fit but the sound just isn't as "fun" as my super fi 5's. I started re-ripping my music into FLAC and have noticed an improvement, but they still aren't what I had hoped. Is it possible I need a head phone amp? I thought they just make it louder, I don't need that. I want "fuller" music (whatever that means). 
The players have sufficient volume so I have been hesitant to think about amp's. Anyone have any advice?

My current setup is 
UE18Pro
SuperFi 5 pro
Cowon O2pmp
creative nomad vision:m

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
So, come to a conclusion yet?...do you wanna sell your UE18 to me with double of your SF5Pro price ^_^

Thanks for the offer, but I think I will hold on to them for now and play with equalizers until it sounds right. Anyway because of the custom fit I would also have to sell you my ears and I use those all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 15
Even though I said the 18 Pros are lacking in highs, they are still excellent IEMs, especially the bass extension, it's probably the best I've ever heard. If not for the lack in highs, they would have been perfect, I think you are right to hold on to them.
wink.gif

May 5, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 15
I just received my 18's yesterday and I'm coming from tripple fi 10s / SE 530s.  Your descriptions accurately describe my experience (they fit and are comfy, yet have a lack of "fun", need for fuller sound, etc.)  I have a Total Bithead on order, to pair with my Zune HD, hoping that it will address the issue. 

However, shouldn't these be significantly better than Tripple Fi 10 / SE530s right out-of-the-box?  Were you able to solve this issue?

I really hope to hear from you.

May 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Sounds a bit like a case of brain burn-in to me?

I can easily imagine that coming from the Triple Fi 10 can make something as balanced (from what I have read) as the UE18 sound... sterile.

May 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 15
Yeah, that could be the case.  Sterile is an accurate description, but I have noticed that I'm growing more accustomed to the sound.  It will be interesting to try the TrippleFi 10s after using these for a month or two.  Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back