New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #466 of 970
Can anyone tell me what's the brand of the 12AU7 used by the HA1A?

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #468 of 970
yeah the stock tube, because someone is selling me their old 12AU7 and was wondering whether its a good tube in the first place or not.
Its to change the stock tube that came with my BravoAudio Ocean, which is starting to die off from use.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #469 of 970
yeah the stock tube, because someone is selling me their old 12AU7 and was wondering whether its a good tube in the first place or not.
Its to change the stock tube that came with my BravoAudio Ocean, which is starting to die off from use.
The 12AU7 that came with my HA-1A MKII are Cayin branded. There isn't any other branding I can find on the tube. I had to change these out because they were not my favorite.

***Update***

I happen to have an old pair of Shu Guang 12AU7s sitting around and these look identical to the Cayin branded tubes. So it's pretty safe to say these are OEMed Shu Guangs.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #470 of 970
Many Thanks :smile:

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #471 of 970
He wants to sell me a new unit as he states it has less risk of damage during shipping. A DOA would really upset me if it couldn't be made right straight away.
As far as down the road goes, crap happens. As long as they work with me, we can figure always something out.

I sent Andy Kong a PM a few days ago.

I am dying to pull the trigger with somebody!:smile:

Andrew just got back to me and confirmed that even a DOA would be non refundable and I would have to pay shipping back for an exchange since my sale is International.
He actually recommended that I try to find a Canadian dealer. I told him I had, but that didn't work out.

So, I will stop reading the thread here and keep looking. I did get a hold of JoeDoe and he does gush about Mapletree.

And I hope my PM reply didn't cause any delay in your decision.

If the HA-1AMk2 didn't works out with for you because of the sales arrangement, that would be most unfortunate. The HA-1AMk2 is very compact but weighted 9.5kg, it feel very dense, 10kg tube amplifier is consider moderate by Cayin standard, the HA-6A is around 20kg, the HA-300 is around 30kg.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 26, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #472 of 970
The chances of the HA-1A being DOA is slim to none. I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a bad one. I have purchased quite a few of Cyain's kit including the original HA-1A and now the HA-1A MKII. Both were shipped directly from Cayin in China, so much worse handling than domestic shipping from the US, and I haven't had one issue. The box and the packing that they come in is solid.

I have to be honest, we had some problems with the early production batch of HA-1Amk2, the package was not strong enough to protect the amplifier over international shipping, maybe because the porters didn't expect the HA1AmK2 boxes are so heavy when they look pretty compact. We have reinforced the bottom frame and add an extra box for international shipping, and the no problem never come back again.

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #473 of 970
The 12AU7 that came with my HA-1A MKII are Cayin branded. There isn't any other branding I can find on the tube. I had to change these out because they were not my favorite.

***Update***

I happen to have an old pair of Shu Guang 12AU7s sitting around and these look identical to the Cayin branded tubes. So it's pretty safe to say these are OEMed Shu Guangs.

Yes, I can confirmed that the stock tubes are Shuguang 12AU7.

Mar 26, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #474 of 970
And I hope my PM reply didn't cause any delay in your decision.

If the HA-1AMk2 didn't works out with for you because of the sales arrangement, that would be most unfortunate. The HA-1AMk2 is very compact but weighted 9.5kg, it feel very dense, 10kg tube amplifier is consider moderate by Cayin standard, the HA-6A is around 20kg, the HA-300 is around 30kg.

No sir. It was more of a dealer thing. The American guy with the great sale got very nervous when I started grilling about DOA's and in the end told me to buy in Canada. When I looked among Canadian dealers, most didn't stock it or were charging a pretty high price. Nobody remotely close to the price of the American units on sale. I ended up going with a smaller "boutique" company and love what I ended up with in the end! Not nearly as pretty as yours but Amazing sound.:L3000:

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #475 of 970
No sir. It was more of a dealer thing. The American guy with the great sale got very nervous when I started grilling about DOA's and in the end told me to buy in Canada. When I looked among Canadian dealers, most didn't stock it or were charging a pretty high price. Nobody remotely close to the price of the American units on sale. I ended up going with a smaller "boutique" company and love what I ended up with in the end! Not nearly as pretty as yours but Amazing sound.:L3000:

Glad you find a solution even when you are not buying with Cayin, the most important part is to enjoy your music and looking for better audio playback quality continuously.

As long as you stay on this course, you are still remain as my potential customers. :o2smile:

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #476 of 970
Glad you find a solution even when you are not buying with Cayin, the most important part is to enjoy your music and looking for better audio playback quality continuously.

As long as you stay on this course, you are still remain as my potential customers. :o2smile:

No doubt about that! Your amps are beautiful and I may well end up with one at some point.

Shane D

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #477 of 970
I just purchased this amp brand new. Listened to it for about 30 minutes and it turned itself off... Tried to turn it on again and it lit up for half a second but wouldn’t stay on. Now it doesn’t do anything when I press the power button... does anyone have any insight? Could it be the fuse? Thanks in advance.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #478 of 970
I just purchased this amp brand new. Listened to it for about 30 minutes and it turned itself off... Tried to turn it on again and it lit up for half a second but wouldn’t stay on. Now it doesn’t do anything when I press the power button... does anyone have any insight? Could it be the fuse? Thanks in advance.
Yes check the fuse and change it out even if it look ok.

You could have defective tubes too, or a bad connection of a tube because it wiggled loose in shipping. Turn off and unplug your amp, then pull all the tubes and reseat then. Also while your under the hood check to make sure none of the tubes are burned out.

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #479 of 970
Yes check the fuse and change it out even if it look ok.

You could have defective tubes too, or a bad connection of a tube because it wiggled loose in shipping. Turn off and unplug your amp, then pull all the tubes and reseat then. Also while your under the hood check to make sure none of the tubes are burned out.

Sorry I forgot to mention that before the amp turned itself off, there was some crackling noise in the background which got louder and louder.

I’m a noob. How do I replace the fuse? Also how do I check if the tubes are burned out without turning on the amp? Or is that the next step? Thanks.

I’ve tried searching online as well as going through the manual.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #480 of 970
Did you smell burning electronics?

To check the fuse... there is a little door under the AC plug on the HA-1A. Unplug the amp, then open the door and check to see if the fuse is blown.

The way you check the tubes is gently remove them out of their slots. Look to see if any of the filaments are burnt or there is black on the inside of the glass. The reason we want to turn off the amp to check these is you can cause a electrical fire if one of the tubes are bad. Also you can damage the amp. It's not likely you will start a fire but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back