New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
post-15705456
Post #526 of 561

Pictograms

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
no, on the two channel, with the 12au7 original it's the same, when I turn it on the noise is loud after 15-20 sec it decreases
I know someone who bought the HA-6A it has the same noise.
Okay, so not the tube. Your in Europe right? So then 50hz could be mains noise.

post-15705459
Post #527 of 561

Pictograms

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
post-15706191
Post #528 of 561

IPMano

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
yes i m in europe, and i think it's a 50hz, the power tubes are heated alternately?

Thank you for the link

post-15710295
Post #529 of 561
Reaction score
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
post-15726757
Post #530 of 561

BMGRO

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for this detailed thread and all your impressions and tube rolling experiments with the HA-1A. After having read through it, I decided to get myself one of these beauties as well to pair with my RME DAC2.

Before springing for the Gold Lion tubes, I also have the options of picking Tesla tubes as alternatives for relatively same price ranges. What would you say are your overall favorites so far? Should I burn in my stock tubes first and listen on them or directly replace the 12AU7s/ECC82s with better tubes?

One other thing I am wondering about is if anyone has used this with IEMs on the lowest impedance switch? I do realize this is not designed to be paired with IEMs but with full size cans, I'm still curious if someone has tried it? Reason for me asking is because there are some IEMs that are not as sensitive and could potentially be used.

Cheers

post-15726817
Post #531 of 561

Pictograms

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for this detailed thread and all your impressions and tube rolling experiments with the HA-1A. After having read through it, I decided to get myself one of these beauties as well to pair with my RME DAC2.

Before springing for the Gold Lion tubes, I also have the options of picking Tesla tubes as alternatives for relatively same price ranges. What would you say are your overall favorites so far? Should I burn in my stock tubes first and listen on them or directly replace the 12AU7s/ECC82s with better tubes?

One other thing I am wondering about is if anyone has used this with IEMs on the lowest impedance switch? I do realize this is not designed to be paired with IEMs but with full size cans, I'm still curious if someone has tried it? Reason for me asking is because there are some IEMs that are not as sensitive and could potentially be used.

Cheers
I’ve used IEM quite a bit on the amp, and I really liked them. Even though the UM Maestro is very sensitive it worked fantastic although you had to be carful with how much you turned the volume...
I actually liked them more than the Campfire Cascades (which is a full headphone) with the HA 1A MKII.
But I had some other IEMs that picked up to much noise... so give it a shot and see what you think, just watch the Volume

post-15727085
Post #532 of 561

BMGRO

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I’ve used IEM quite a bit on the amp, and I really liked them. Even though the UM Maestro is very sensitive it worked fantastic although you had to be carful with how much you turned the volume...
I actually liked them more than the Campfire Cascades (which is a full headphone) with the HA 1A MKII.
But I had some other IEMs that picked up to much noise... so give it a shot and see what you think, just watch the Volume
I currently own a Campfire Solaris, Thieaudio Voyager 14 and Tin T4s. Out of the bunch, I must admit that I am scared of trying the Solaris out. Way too sensitive but I believe the Voyager and the T4s will be able to withstand it. But, as you said, be veeeery careful with the volume knob...:ksc75smile:

I'm also curious how Beyers sound on it. I was thinking of getting a second gen T1 600ohm...

post-15727118
Post #533 of 561

Pictograms

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I currently own a Campfire Solaris, Thieaudio Voyager 14 and Tin T4s. Out of the bunch, I must admit that I am scared of trying the Solaris out. Way too sensitive but I believe the Voyager and the T4s will be able to withstand it. But, as you said, be veeeery careful with the volume knob...:ksc75smile:

I'm also curious how Beyers sound on it. I was thinking of getting a second gen T1 600ohm...
I recommended using a source for the amp that has a volume control, set it very low and then when you have your IEM plugged into the HA1 you are able to decide if there is to much background noise, you will then be able to increase the volume to on the amp and the Dac until it is listenable.
If you don’t have a source you can decrease the volume with you may not be able to get past the tiny zone of channel imbalance the HA1 has.

I really like T90s on this amp but never have tried the T1s

Edit* the IFI IEMatch is also really worth looking into if you want to use the amp for sensitive stuff, even though it’s a headphone prefer the Cascades with The IEMatch, just that much more room to play with the volume.

Last edited:
post-15727185
Post #534 of 561

BMGRO

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I recommended using a source for the amp that has a volume control, set it very low and then when you have your IEM plugged into the HA1 you are able to decide if there is to much background noise, you will then be able to increase the volume to on the amp and the Dac until it is listenable.
If you don’t have a source you can decrease the volume with you may not be able to get past the tiny zone of channel imbalance the HA1 has.

I really like T90s on this amp but never have tried the T1s

Edit* the IFI IEMatch is also really worth looking into if you want to use the amp for sensitive stuff, even though it’s a headphone prefer the Cascades with The IEMatch, just that much more room to play with the volume.
I just got the ADI2 FS a few days ago and am playing around with it and hoping that the low noise floor from it will suffice for the amp and also serve as preamp volume control for the Cayin. I have to say that I have completely overlooked the IEmatch and will definitely give it some consideration. I would probably start with my over ears when the MK2 arrives so that I can get my bearings with the volume control and impedance settings. Currently have T50RP MK2 Argons, Sendy Aiva, K7XX and HE-4XX so I think I'd like to see how those handle. After that I'll probably try the IEMs too. Good thing the IEmatch is not that expensive so I might just go ahead and get one anyway. But, I guess all that will happen by the end of next week, at the earliest, because of shipping problems due to COVID... I ended up purchasing it from Denmark since they had the lowest price for brand new 2020 batch with free shipping for EU countries. They were supposed to get the batch today... UPS told them it would get there on Friday. Fingers crossed... :)

post-15729095
Post #535 of 561

IPMano

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received my EL84 Psvane tubes, the difference is immediate, the bass is much more powerful and especially more parasitic noise, crackles, whistles than I had with one of the original tubes, the new ones are less sensitive to shock, the originals as soon as we touched the amp we heard noise in the headphones, now it's really nickel, a pity that Cayin does not make a little effort on the EL84 it would be a plus for the amp.

post-15729837
Post #536 of 561

BMGRO

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received my EL84 Psvane tubes, the difference is immediate, the bass is much more powerful and especially more parasitic noise, crackles, whistles than I had with one of the original tubes, the new ones are less sensitive to shock, the originals as soon as we touched the amp we heard noise in the headphones, now it's really nickel, a pity that Cayin does not make a little effort on the EL84 it would be a plus for the amp.
Could you please advise which EL84 tubes you rolled on it? Also, I'm assuming you also replaced the signal 12AU7/ECC82 tubes? Which ones did you end up with? The Golden Lions or something else?

post-15729857
Post #537 of 561

IPMano

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
yes I also changed the 12AU7 when I received the amp, these are Pvsane 12AU7 and the EL84 Mark II Pvsane

post-15729912
Post #538 of 561

billyleungkt

Head-Fier
Reaction score
yes I also changed the 12AU7 when I received the amp, these are Pvsane 12AU7 and the EL84 Mark II Pvsane
Cool. Glad to hear you have good experience with both 12AU7 and EL84 changed. I've changed 12AU7 to gold lion and wondering I should change EL84 to gold lion (like Andy Kong setup). EL84 tubes are cheaper than 12AU7 I wonder why haa? EL84 being bigger in size.

post-15730069
Post #539 of 561

IPMano

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
electro harmonix EL84 tubes are not very expensive the change by Gold Lion or Pvsane is very good, you will not regret it

post-15731465
Post #540 of 561

iFi audio

Sponsor: iFi Audio
Reaction score
Website
ifi-audio.com
Thanks. Increased headroom and lower background noise are what iEMatch was deigned for.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ info@ifi-audio.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)