New TT on the way!!!
Mar 11, 2006 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jumping jupiters

100+ Head-Fier
I finally cracked...going to be parting ways with the beloved Planar 3. But I should have a Mitchell Gyro SE by end of next week!

Unfortunately I will have to wait to update from my Goldring 1012, but it will have to do for the short term...and then there is the question of phono stage! Any cartridge recommendations to match this table would be appreciated...something in the $300-$600 range...I'd like to try a high output MC.

Really struggled over getting a P7 or a VPI Scout but fell headlong for the Gyro!

I'll post after I get it in...

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 11
Dynavector 20X-H would be the obvious choice in your price range.Why not spend more money on a good phono stage and get a Denon 103R which is a low output moving coil cartridge.Most feel it is better than the Dynavector and costs less.Cartridges are throw away items after 1000 hours and can be retipped,on the other hand a very expensive phono stage will last you forever.Most audiophiles who have to work for a living are better off with the Denon.

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 11
Cool. Michell decks are lovely. The Sumiko Bluepoint Special would be another option but I would tend to agree with ssportclay here.
Even though common wisdom would have you spend more on the cart the Goldring is a cracking cart and upgrading to a new 1024 stylus with a phono stage like the Tricord Dino would be the way to go.
The difference between the Goldring and a cheaper MC is not going to be as massive an upgrade through a regaular phonostage if at all. Get a good phonostage and save up for a cart like the basic Ortofon Kontrapunkt or if thats too dry go for a retip of a classic MC like a Supex.

Mar 12, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 11
thanks guys for the advise...currently i am using the phono stage in my integrated MF A5...probably similar to the xlp-s that is popular these days...could you guys suggest a phono stage under $1k...probably used since I can't imagine it being necissary to buy one new.

what type of improvements can i expect to gain with a phono stage?

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 11
The A5 is a very good amp. I think it lacks an MC stage right? So your options would then be to search out a better MM than the Goldring. It was the 1042 stylus upgrade I was thinking of.

The only MM better than this is the Shure V15VxMR which has recently been discontinued but is still out there in limited quantities. I have a V15VMR which was the last version and it is an amazing cartridge, by far the best moving magnet I have ever heard so a very worthwhile upgrade if you can still find one. It's between 3-500USD depending on where you buy as dealers are now charging more due to increased rarity. They still seem available widely in Germany for some reason. Shure carries at least 5 year stock of stylii and stylii are still available for my version from the 80's so I wouldn't let that trouble you.

What you will get from moving coil is more subtlety and detail although you will need to go to an Ortophon Kontrapunkt or perhaps the Lyra Argo to hear a worthwhile upgrade over the superb Shure, I think.

From a cheaper high output moving coil like the Sumiko it's a different flavour rather than a performance jump over the existing Goldring.

Personally I was never very impressed by the XLP. I thought it sounded muddy but a lot of people liked it so what is at issue is probably in simplistic terms whether you like your vinyl to sound exiting in the Linn/Naim mode or you value tonal deapth as in the valve/tube style of presentation, which is again contingent on your musical tastes.

In the former camp there is the Naim stageline with a range of powersupplies giving an upgrade path. Then the Tricord Dino I mentioned is somewhere in the middle. On the other side there is the Graham Slee Era Gold and then Tim De Paravicini's EAR phonostage. Of course it goes without saying you will really need to listen to a few of these...

In the end matching the cart and phonostage with the rest of your system is about finding synergistic matches to existing kit.

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the good advise memepool...i have been thinking down the lines you are speaking. i see two options really...one: i might just upgrade the goldring one day regardless to have a backup as well as a different flavor on the shelf...it could always be sold. two: i have actually been thinking of the Ortophon Kontrapunkt or a Dynavector (20x5 i think)...always open to others such as your Shure. The MF A5 manual states that it is a MM phono stage, but can take high output MC's as well...when I go to buy the output will be a major factor in model purchased.

In terms of phono stage I have been researching and have come across what others have done...personally i have been thinking about the Gramm Slee...it seams to be a good starting place. however I think this will be further down the road due to just getting the table.

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Congrats on your purchase! I love my Gyro as you well know from our pm correspondence. I think this is a real winner of a table and one that has lasted the test of time. I think the Gyro is 20+ years old? Not too bad for something that is still cutting edge. There is just something about British turn tables that does it for me. To me they really understand the notion of getting the music out there. They also build to last
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 11
That is one awesome looking TT. Congrats! I recently got my first TT (VPI Scout) a few weeks back, yet during my TT research I didn’t find much info on the JA Michell TTs. Gosh your Gyro is so cool. What else does Gyro mean since I always thought it was just a Greek sandwich?

By the way, I decided to purchase a Dynavector 20XH cartridge and Graham Slee Era Gold V phono stage and am quite pleased with both. I highly recommend them as serious contenders if you are still looking for those two components.

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 11
Wow, still one of the best looking TTs after all these years. I considered this myself a few years back, but I'm too clumsy to mess with the suspension.
I'll bet that people will still be raving about the Michell's 50 years from now!

I don't think it would be a bad plan to start with a high output MC and the A5's phono stage. A fancy phono stage can come after the cartridge.

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 11
The guy I bought the TT off of is on the opposite coast and he dragged his feet a few days...UPS tracking says it will be here Tuesday!

Just a little update: Zanth has been a real help with recommended phono stage and cartridge. Funds are going to be limited for a few months so I will hold off and continue research on phono stages. Right now I am leaning towards EAR, Gramm and ASR. In terms of cartridges I am going to sit tight until a cherry lands on Audiogon...leaning towards a high output MC: Grado Reference Sonata, Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood (actually a MM), Somiko Blackbird or Benz Micro 2H. From everything I have read so far the Blackbird is really appealing.

Pending a June bonus we will wait to see what type of phono stage I should go for! Who knows I may get crazy...

Lastly, the fiance is already chiming in on my hobby...she has made it known that I will not be able to listen to the speaker rig whenever I want. So, I am thinking about keeping the Rega P3 that the Michell is replacing and doing a remote headphone only setup...in this case I will use an Audiolab 8000a integrated I have laying around for its phono stage...keeping the Goldring with this setup as well...I love being told what to do!!!

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 11
Well I attempted to upload some pictures but I haven't quite figured out my camera...and I was more interested in listening to the new TT! Perhaps tomorrow when it earlier than midnight.

After several headaches including a business meeting held at my house (at least there were good tunes in the background) I finally got the table setup. Actually the most upsetting issue was that the ball bearing was missing from the table...a quick trip to work and a can of Mobile One later I was down to leveling...due to a component stand that is tilted at a 45 I got right up to the leveling limits of the table and almost had to rethink the entire setup location. If you get the picture it was not 1, 2, 3.

But what a reward!!!

Comparing it to the Rega P3 I am coming off of the first thing to hit me was how quite the background became. And then several things came in spades...tighter deeper bass, overall detail and greater soundstaging. My room has opened up several feet and the space between instruments and notes is impressive. For the first time I feel that I am hearing the limits of my cartridge and phono stage...I think the table may deserve better...dang nabit!

The only other feeling I can't get over is that I swear this thing is going to launch into outer space any moment now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back