New trend of headphone amps on HF?
Oct 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #16 of 38
Could you show me some portable tube amps except the TTVJ millet?
tongue.gif
I don't think when mentioning about "tube amp", there's anyone thinks about portable stuffs.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #17 of 38
for me tubes belong in 2 things

1. vintage radios
2. on the creation/production side of music (instrument amps, effects, etc...)

solid state is where it's at for listening

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #18 of 38
From where I sit, the industry trend for amps seems to be the inclusion of DAC circuitry, including USB connectivity, both for home & portable.

Tube amps seem to get a lot of press & postings, no doubt due to their chameleon-like nature, as well as the classic "image" associated with such gear. But I doubt they actually represent the majority of the market.

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #19 of 38
I have noticed the same thing.
Its probably lots of reason for this, including these:
* Reasonable priced chinese amplifiers.
* A change of mind among Head-Fi'ers. Some switching to tubes, write positive reviews, and others follow.

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #20 of 38
I'm buying my first home amp (little dot I+) and I decided on that instead of a SS because of the price (and it glows
tongue.gif
)

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #21 of 38
I got into the hobby a year ago and I never received one recommendation for a SS amp. I went to my first meet on Saturday and heard a Millet Max and it was my first SS headphone amp experience. While I did like the sound of the Millet, I love the warmth of tubes.

From reading this thread, if I had joined a few years earlier, I might have totally SS bias. That being said, my friends and family are totally enamored with my humble little Darkvoice 336i. Wait until they see the MPX3!

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #22 of 38
Many of the ss amps available are voiced to sound like tubes anyway.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 38
I own two SS portable amps (a tube portable? That'd be interesting!) and was going with a SS desktop as I thought tubes were too much like like hard work. Just wanted plug (in) and go.

Then a DV332 came up at a price point that was too good to refuse and I jumped at it. If the 332 hadn't come along I probably would have bought the new Graham Slee.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* Reasonable priced chinese amplifiers.

That may be a main reason.
We cannot deny that Chinese (or Asia in general) audio stuffs are more and more popular on HF. The only forum I don't notice Chinese stuffs is fullsize headphone. Meanwhile the portable headphone was once full of reviews of yuin products. The same situation with LD,Darkvoice,Zero in full size headamp and iBasso in portable amp. Even the delicated source forum has many infos about Chinese DACs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm buying my first home amp (little dot I+) and I decided on that instead of a SS because of the price (and it glows
tongue.gif
)

You need a pink glow tube
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only forum I don't notice Chinese stuffs is fullsize headphone.

The only (afaik) fullsize chinese made headphone thread have moved to the High-End Audio Forum.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/h...phones-287277/

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #26 of 38
lil'knight does that exist!?

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #28 of 38
that is awesome! if anybody knows where I can find pink tubes for a LD I+ please PM me!

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #30 of 38
Heard a high-end tube amp, and I was instantly hooked.

Solid State has its place, but right now, tube have blown me away so well that I must have a tube amp.

Not to mension its a great conversation stater.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back