New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Sep 19, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #8,521 of 9,406
Hey everyone and @JasonNYC

September 2020 and still no Roon support as promised by late 2018. I know COVID has shelved that project but it was way already overdue when the pandemic hit.

Can someone explain why this was not released until november 2019? Is there a specific reason? Was the Roon support promised before finding out if it was doable?

Will the efforts resume? Have they resumed yet?Can we expect a new deadline?
@JasonNYC, I want to piggyback off the lack of development for Roon as well. This was a promised feature. What is the status after two years?

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #8,524 of 9,406
I saw this on the Chord 2go thread

Interesting explanation from Danny Dulai, the Roon COO, in response to a question from a Roon forum member as to how long the process for Roon certification takes once they receive the equipment from the manufacturer.

"We’ve had devices take a week or two, and we’ve had devices take years. We’ve also had devices come in and totally fail and never finish because it couldn’t be certified.

It’s not a rubber stamp – there is real work to be done to make this work well. What I can say is that NO ONE has ever gotten things perfect on the first iteration.

Overall, it depends on how responsive a manufacturer is, how well they read and understand the requirements, and how honest they are (or are willing to be) about what they are doing to the audio in the device.

Getting us a device with working firmware is a good first step, but it’s just that: the first step. I wouldn’t invest in anything in the hope that it becomes certified in any time frame. If any manufacturer promises certification in the near future, they are promising things they shouldn’t be promising."

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #8,526 of 9,406
Just use Roon on your smartphone and use the SP1000 as a external phone DAC.

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #8,527 of 9,406
Astell & Kern promised Roon support, I didn't go in buying the SP1000 because it supported it. But I was influenced to buy Roon lifetime membership because they said it was going to be a feature of these devices. .

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #8,528 of 9,406
Yawn. You want a device that supports Roon, go do your due diligence and buy one that already supports it.

AK also should do due dilligence and do not promise something they don’t know they can deliver.

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #8,529 of 9,406
Yawn. You want a device that supports Roon, go do your due diligence and buy one that already supports it.

Is there such a thing as a "Roon Ready" portable DAP?

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #8,530 of 9,406
"We’ve had devices take a week or two, and we’ve had devices take years. We’ve also had devices come in and totally fail and never finish because it couldn’t be certified.

Seems to be out of AK's hands, doesn't it? Time to move on if you really need/want Roon. There are other devices that support it, and as have we all, take advantage of the For Sale thread and buy or sell what you need to get what you want.

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #8,531 of 9,406

Seems to be out of AK's hands, doesn't it? Time to move on if you really need/want Roon. There are other devices that support it, and as have we all, take advantage of the For Sale thread and buy or sell what you need to get what you want.

I'm not aware of any "Roon Ready" or "Roon certified" portable DAPs. I would think most DAP makers would bend over backwards to get this certification. Perhaps the problem is Roon, not the device makers... I also purchased Roon (annual) after buying an AK device with advertised Roon support upcoming. I will not be renewing unless this gets resolved.

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #8,533 of 9,406
Sep 25, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #8,534 of 9,406
https://roonlabs.com/partner-chord

Not distinctly a DAP but you could plug it into something else and get Roon that way, I suppose.

Hugo is a multi-award-winning mobile DAC and headphone amplifier of unrivaled quality. Put simply, it is the world's most advanced headphone amp/DAC, offering five digital inputs including A2DP aptX Bluetooth, plus advanced 384kHz PCM and DSD 128 playback for today's high-resolution music files.

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #8,535 of 9,406
I have both the Mojo/Poly and the Hugo2/2Go (in addition to an SPKM). The Poly is fully certified whereas the 2Go has not been fully certified as yet, but dev is still continuing.

The Poly is an absolute dream to use with Roon!! imo, the Mojo is on a rough par with the SPKM in terms of SQ. [Begin objections and rants in 3, 2, 1...]:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back