New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Aug 16, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #8,461 of 9,406
1597574894069.png

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #8,463 of 9,406
It depends on how much you value extra sound quality over cost and portability I suppose. I ended up selling my sp1000m and got the sp1000m gold plated copper edition for the extra extensions in the low ends. Very musical to my ears
Yea, it's a tough choice between the two. I think I want something purely for sound quality and maybe I'll get a dragonfly cobalt to pair with my phone for the portability!

Interestingly, I'm curious to see how the new AK200 compares to the sp1000m. Someone on another forum group said it actually compar to to the sp2000??

Anyone else had a chance to demo?

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #8,464 of 9,406
It looks like it wouldn't of worked the SP1000 cable anyway according to the manual........

How to Use USB Audio
Connect the SP1000 to a portable amp and DAC using USB Audio Out.
How to Connect a Portable USB DAC
1. Connect product’s USB Type C terminal and portable USB DAC with a dedicated cable.
2. Press [ ] in the notification bar.
3. Once [ ] is activated, you can enjoy music stored on the
device through the connected portable USB DAC.
The USB Type-C cable provided with the product is to be used for data transfer or to charge the product only.
The type of dedicated cable needed to connect to the portable DAC varies; please refer to USB DAC manufacturer instructions for correct cable type.

A USB DAC cable is not included with the device and must be purchased separately.
Depending on the OTG cable used, the connection may be unstable.
How to Change USB Audio DSD Output Type
You can change the type of DSD data that is outputted through the USB audio out.
1. Select a DSD output type in [Menu - Settings - USB audio].
PCM : DSD audio is converted into PCM before being outputted through the USB audio out.
DoP : DSD audio is converted into DoP before being outputted through the USB audio out.

The portable USB DAC must be able to receive digital input via micro USB OTG.
Audio output may vary widely depending on the digital input specs of the portable USB DAC used. This is not a defect in the device output and not a reason for exchange or refund.

When using DoP as a DSD output type, no sound may be outputted except noise depending on the portable USB DAC.

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #8,465 of 9,406
Yea, it's a tough choice between the two. I think I want something purely for sound quality and maybe I'll get a dragonfly cobalt to pair with my phone for the portability!

Interestingly, I'm curious to see how the new AK200 compares to the sp1000m. Someone on another forum group said it actually compar to to the sp2000??

Anyone else had a chance to demo?

I have the SP1000Cu, the SP2000Cu and the SE200. Well, the SE200 has 2 different DACs, one of which is the AKM TOTL DAC which the SP2000 uses. However, whilst I do enjoy the SE200 because of the 2 different DACs to try, it would be a bit of a stretch to suggest that it is at the same level as the SP2000 or SP1000...

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #8,466 of 9,406
Well i've got the lead OTG and connected it to the SP1000 and the external USB symbol has activated but there is no audio going to headphone amp. On the display on the headphone shows USB input - No signal. I bought a lead for my AK240, that doesn't work either. Can anyone direct me to a lead for the SP1000 to a headphone amp with USB input that does work ?

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #8,467 of 9,406
Well i've got the lead OTG and connected it to the SP1000 and the external USB symbol has activated but there is no audio going to headphone amp. On the display on the headphone shows USB input - No signal. I bought a lead for my AK240, that doesn't work either. Can anyone direct me to a lead for the SP1000 to a headphone amp with USB input that does work ?
Pretty sure ak240 doesn’t support USB out. Have you tested your focal and make sure it works on PC first?

Aug 17, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #8,468 of 9,406
I believe I had to use a Toslink out of my 240SS into my receiver to get it to work. Pretty sure Jason told me how to do it. That's more than three years ago, so I'm fuzzy on it.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #8,469 of 9,406
Pretty sure ak240 doesn’t support USB out. Have you tested your focal and make sure it works on PC first?
When you
When you say the USB symbol is activated what do you mean? Lit up? If so then you have to press it. The words “USB Audio” will appear underneath the logo when the AK recognises the DAC. The DAC has to be switched on and set to receive a USB signal.
In settings, USB mode has to be set to MTP - though I expect it already is.

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #8,471 of 9,406
When you

When you say the USB symbol is activated what do you mean? Lit up? If so then you have to press it. The words “USB Audio” will appear underneath the logo when the AK recognises the DAC. The DAC has to be switched on and set to receive a USB signal.
In settings, USB mode has to be set to MTP - though I expect it already is.
Yes, when the USB symbol is activated it does light up and if i press it the player shuts down and restarts. On the Arche manual on connecting to a mac pc it does say set to... Source Default. Format: 384000Hz 2ch-24bit Integer.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #8,472 of 9,406
Aug 19, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #8,473 of 9,406
Yes, when the USB symbol is activated it does light up and if i press it the player shuts down and restarts. On the Arche manual on connecting to a mac pc it does say set to... Source Default. Format: 384000Hz 2ch-24bit Integer.
I am confused by the reference to connecting to a Mac. I thought you were trying to connect to a headphone amp.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #8,474 of 9,406
I am confused by the reference to connecting to a Mac. I thought you were trying to connect to a headphone amp.
What i'm trying to say is when i connect the headphone amp via USB to the mac it works, but when i try to connect the SP1000 to the headphone amp it does not work. Proving that the USB on the amp is fine and accepting a signal, but no audio from the SP1000 (using what i thought was the correct OTG lead) is getting to the amp (the amp display says no signal).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back