New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 2, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #7,981 of 9,406
As I said before, I've never had an issue, with a 120 or a 240 or now with an SP1000 up until now. That's 4-5 years of no issues. Pretty good track record in my book.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #7,984 of 9,406
Issues can happen from time to time, but it should not become common. Nothing in life will ever be perfect, but as long as A&K is head and shoulders above the rest in almost every area, then it's fine for me and we've had our money's worth.

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #7,985 of 9,406
Issues can happen from time to time, but it should not become common. Nothing in life will ever be perfect, but as long as A&K is head and shoulders above the rest in almost every area, then it's fine for me and we've had our money's worth.
A software update should not make my sd card completely worthless regarding downloading music with music services like Amazon and Tidal. That is simply terrible testing.

I will give AK the benefit of the doubt however on this one with everything thats going on in the world.

Apr 3, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #7,988 of 9,406
So don’t forget the role of the authorisation of the downloaded contend by Tidal it self. I had an issue by which Tidal put 100 gb off-line content un-authorized cause of a bad wifi connection in a holiday home. Had to authorize the hole content after I got home. After complaining at the Tidal helpdesks, really put my teeth in the issue, they compensated my by refunding a month contribution fee.
This was a few years ago on an android phone, but I learned my session the hard way.
First rule:
Put your Tidal in off-line mode at home, before you leave on an holiday and keep it off-line if you want to be sure to have access to all your music the whole period you are away from home or a steady broad band wifi connection.
Second rule:
Put your off-line content folder on the internal memory of your player.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #7,989 of 9,406
Just got a new SP1000M. So far been really enjoying it. One thing I'm noticing is that when I turn the device on sometimes it takes a while for all of the files to index. So initially, some of my albums will be missing.

Is there a preferred folder structure that would help improve performance? Currently, I have a folder for each album. In some other devices I've used in the past, it was more efficient to have a folder for each artist, and then the albums within that folder.

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #7,990 of 9,406
A folder for each artist works well. Individual album folders are placed within it. But single artist album folders work fine as well.

You might be having a tagging issue. If tags are incomplete, or confusing, or missing, the device has to work a lot harder to scan them. Get a tagging editor and check a cross section. Look especially at the albums that take a long time to scan.

Apr 4, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #7,993 of 9,406
..As to streaming, the SP1000 was originally not really meant for that. Market pressure brought more of it to the device (which did not please me), but they are trying to adapt firmware to make it all work. AND adapt firmware to work with a bunch of other company's products as well, which is never a good idea. There are now lots of DAPs built to stream. The SP1000 was not one of them.
that's why I have never installed any update since I bought mine in summer 2017. I bought what I bought and still pleased with it. Those who want other things just buy other things.

Apr 4, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #7,994 of 9,406
Some of the additions have been nice (album view, for one) but I hear you. The thing plays music files like nobody's business. And the UI is excellent. The whole streaming thing is beyond me. Especially as there are now DAPs made for streaming.

Apr 4, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #7,995 of 9,406
Some of the additions have been nice (album view, for one) but I hear you. The thing plays music files like nobody's business. And the UI is excellent. The whole streaming thing is beyond me. Especially as there are now DAPs made for streaming.
I dont stream much but I do download lots of tidal music . I happen to be in areas where WiFi connections are limited and travel frequently but not much now obviously . So being able to download Tidal is huge for me . Right now I have about 800 gb’s of music , including Tidal on my sp1000m , By the way , streaming on the Ak sp1000m sounds better than any dap I’ve heard from Hiby, Sony , Fiio ,etc built for streaming .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back