New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 30, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #7,759 of 9,406
Everyone can set his own price but $1900 is a bit high especially with the arrival of newer daps like M15.I would go up to $1700 or so if you you are not in a hurry to sell it like this week .Good luck!
Gotcha thank you!

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #7,760 of 9,406
Jason should we all abandon hope for Roon??

AK’s current silence on that matter worries me. I kinda need to find another suitable solution for my needs if that’s not happening

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #7,761 of 9,406
I just ordered an MQA copy of Donald Fagen's The Nightfly and while waiting for it to arrive I realized that my files of Let It Bleed 50th were also encoded in MQA. I found the free app that applies MQA tags to FLAC files, ran the files through it, loaded them on my SP1000, and I get a cute little MQA icon and a colored button to the left of the track name. The SP1000 is unfolding the files correctly. I'm not sure about the sound, I need to compare and contrast the straight FLAC files as well as the files from the hi-res version. But just thought I'd post and mention that the SP1000 does unfold the files once you add the tags.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #7,763 of 9,406
Feb 4, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #7,765 of 9,406
So... in playing around with MQA files, mine only open to 96. In reading earlier pages and AK's site, it seems they should open up much farther. I'm trying to just listen to them via iem's, not stream them via USB into another device. But everything I'm reading implies the SP1000 will fully unfold them. Anyone got any info on this? Jason?

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #7,766 of 9,406
Hi there.
I’m a relative newbie and am thinking of buying an Ultima M that is out of warranty.
Can anyone vouch for the lifespan / reliability of high end A&K players?

mid they do need repair after warranty isgone, does this tend to be expensive? (As in, Apple products expensive?)

I’m looking to mitigate risk...
Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #7,767 of 9,406
So... in playing around with MQA files, mine only open to 96. In reading earlier pages and AK's site, it seems they should open up much farther. I'm trying to just listen to them via iem's, not stream them via USB into another device. But everything I'm reading implies the SP1000 will fully unfold them. Anyone got any info on this? Jason?
Olddude where are you purchasing MQA music from, I would like to check this out and report back. I own hundreds of Hires files I have purchased from the obvious places. But MQA folded tracks, where? thanks in advance.

Feb 5, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #7,768 of 9,406
Olddude where are you purchasing MQA music from, I would like to check this out and report back. I own hundreds of Hires files I have purchased from the obvious places. But MQA folded tracks, where? thanks in advance.
You can get them at ProStudioMasters . I have purchased a few there. The SP1000 will properly decode them and display the blue or green dot and the sample rate. @JasonNYC had said a primer on MQA handling in the SP1000 was coming but I have never seen it. If you use the SP1000 to play MQA it will totally decode them properly. If you send it out the usb to a another dac then only the first unfold is done.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #7,769 of 9,406
Well, in reading about MQA, the first unfold is to 88 or 96, through a core processor, and then a renderer unfolds the rest of the way. But the two files I've tried with the SP just go to 96. Hence my question. When my Nightfly arrive and I rip it, I'm hopeful it will go past the 96 mark.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #7,770 of 9,406
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back