New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 12, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #7,261 of 9,406
Oct 12, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #7,262 of 9,406
Oct 13, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #7,264 of 9,406
Jason: I noticed that several of the newer Android apps available from apkpure.com are now the newer xapk compressed format, such as Apple Music. Would you ask the developer team when they might be able to support this format or, alternatively, I researched that we can rename the file .zip and extract the contents which results in one of the files as an apx to install? Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #7,266 of 9,406
Someone with sp1000 amp to tell something how its synergy with sp1000? What about low sensitive iems with them?

Oct 14, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #7,267 of 9,406
Someone with sp1000 amp to tell something how its synergy with sp1000? What about low sensitive iems with them?
SP1000 + Amp is my current no-holds-barred portable reference stack. Not quite sure how to speak to "synergy" since I haven't really tried any other amp pairings. IMO, an amp should be audibly transparent, and this one is.

The value of the amp module is that it brings the best of the SP1000 to harder-to-drive headphones. For example, ZMF Auteurs / Eikons sound more fully expressed (as they do from a desktop stack) than without the amp. In general, the presentation with the amp doesn't strike me as very different from the base player--just slightly cleaner with better control when paired with more demanding headphones. Audible differences are more discernible with demanding full-sized cans than easy-to-drive headhones or IEMs. I did a quick compare with Focal Stellias, and the amp module was slightly better, but the regular balanced out was not really lacking in any way.

The only downside is that the combo becomes a hell of a brick; the thought of jogging with an SP1000+amp is hilarious. After I got the amp module for my SP1000 I picked up an SP1000M Gold for pure portability. The M has taken over as my everyday portable player, with the 1000 filling in as a second source for listening with friends or as the "heavy hitter" that comes out to drive my less portable-friendly headphones.

As for sensitive IEMs, I am running Campfire Solaris and Andro Golds, both of which have rather low impedance. I just tried the Golds with NIN "01 Ghosts I" to check for hiss on a few setups:

My desktop reference (Topping DX7s -> THX AAA 789, balanced out), SP1000 balanced out and SP1000M Gold balanced out all have very minor hiss. The M Gold is probably the cleanest by a smidge, but none of these have enough hiss to detract from the music in any way (I had to focus on the hiss to notice it). The SP1000 Amp has somewhat more hiss--definitely more noticeable, but still not enough to wreck listening enjoyment. Not as bad as hearing the occasional pop while listening to vinyl on half-million dollar stacks at RMAF. :)

The nice thing about the amp module is you can enable/disable it via settings as you wish and use either set of outputs for listening. So it really just adds more options for driving a wider range of headphones. Based on this little experiment, I feel the Andro Golds are better driven directly from the SP1000 and not the amp module. However, the amp module is still a good investment for making the SP1000 more versatile, provided you'll use it that way.

Oct 14, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #7,268 of 9,406
SP1000 + Amp is my current no-holds-barred portable reference stack. Not quite sure how to speak to "synergy" since I haven't really tried any other amp pairings. IMO, an amp should be audibly transparent, and this one is.

The value of the amp module is that it brings the best of the SP1000 to harder-to-drive headphones. For example, ZMF Auteurs / Eikons sound more fully expressed (as they do from a desktop stack) than without the amp. In general, the presentation with the amp doesn't strike me as very different from the base player--just slightly cleaner with better control when paired with more demanding headphones. Audible differences are more discernible with demanding full-sized cans than easy-to-drive headhones or IEMs. I did a quick compare with Focal Stellias, and the amp module was slightly better, but the regular balanced out was not really lacking in any way.

The only downside is that the combo becomes a hell of a brick; the thought of jogging with an SP1000+amp is hilarious. After I got the amp module for my SP1000 I picked up an SP1000M Gold for pure portability. The M has taken over as my everyday portable player, with the 1000 filling in as a second source for listening with friends or as the "heavy hitter" that comes out to drive my less portable-friendly headphones.

As for sensitive IEMs, I am running Campfire Solaris and Andro Golds, both of which have rather low impedance. I just tried the Golds with NIN "01 Ghosts I" to check for hiss on a few setups:

My desktop reference (Topping DX7s -> THX AAA 789, balanced out), SP1000 balanced out and SP1000M Gold balanced out all have very minor hiss. The M Gold is probably the cleanest by a smidge, but none of these have enough hiss to detract from the music in any way (I had to focus on the hiss to notice it). The SP1000 Amp has somewhat more hiss--definitely more noticeable, but still not enough to wreck listening enjoyment. Not as bad as hearing the occasional pop while listening to vinyl on half-million dollar stacks at RMAF. :)

The nice thing about the amp module is you can enable/disable it via settings as you wish and use either set of outputs for listening. So it really just adds more options for driving a wider range of headphones. Based on this little experiment, I feel the Andro Golds are better driven directly from the SP1000 and not the amp module. However, the amp module is still a good investment for making the SP1000 more versatile, provided you'll use it that way.

Thanks, you just give me a nice picture about this combo. Next week I will be with (sp1000 ss + sp1000 amp). Didnt know that I can with the stack on just turn off the amp and just listen from sp1000 even with both together. Good to know. I will try this combo with the hekv2 and later with Verite closed. I have a solaris too and this iem give me headaches of how picky it can be. With Cayin n6ii, noise. With hiby r3 balanced out, noise. Damm. Curious to listen solaris with sp1000.

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #7,272 of 9,406
Is anyone having issues with Commander One Version 2 on Catalina (the new Mac OS)? I thought I saw one comment a while back. My transfers crap out about 1/3 of the way in. Restarting doesn't help. Re-downloaded AFT and it works perfectly with the same files.

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #7,273 of 9,406
Hey...

A friend has an SP1000M and I'm hopefully getting one too based on listening to his.

He doesn't use any streaming apps so I asked him to install Amazon Music so that I could give it a try.

No problems installing and logging in with my account.

We tried streaming and playing offline content but ran into issues.

We downloaded one Ultra HD album but it would not play. All that we got was the blue circle spinning trying to play it but nothing. So we tried streaming and it was the same. Nothing would play.

We force stopped the app and it immediately played offline content. It played streaming content but was slow to load the songs. Skipping between tracks often results in a lag too.

I have an Activo CT10 which is essentially an A&K device and Amazon Music works flawlessly on it.

But... the 1000M sounds better and I do want to get one.

I will be using it predominantly for Amazon Music offline content though but not if it's going to behave the way my friends unit does.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #7,274 of 9,406
Hey...

A friend has an SP1000M and I'm hopefully getting one too based on listening to his.

He doesn't use any streaming apps so I asked him to install Amazon Music so that I could give it a try.

No problems installing and logging in with my account.

We tried streaming and playing offline content but ran into issues.

We downloaded one Ultra HD album but it would not play. All that we got was the blue circle spinning trying to play it but nothing. So we tried streaming and it was the same. Nothing would play.

We force stopped the app and it immediately played offline content. It played streaming content but was slow to load the songs. Skipping between tracks often results in a lag too.

I have an Activo CT10 which is essentially an A&K device and Amazon Music works flawlessly on it.

But... the 1000M sounds better and I do want to get one.

I will be using it predominantly for Amazon Music offline content though but not if it's going to behave the way my friends unit does.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...
Amazon music doesn’t work on SP1000m and Sp1000. It’s a known issue and has been raised before on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back