New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Feb 22, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #5,372 of 9,406
Has anyone bought anything with affirm? A&K USA offers that payment option and it’s not bad at all. I’d spend an extra $50 on interest over 6 months which I’m totally fine with considering I don’t have to fully pay off the DAP right this second. I’m losing my mind using my iPhone as my player.

Feb 22, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #5,373 of 9,406
Has anyone bought anything with affirm? A&K USA offers that payment option and it’s not bad at all. I’d spend an extra $50 on interest over 6 months which I’m totally fine with considering I don’t have to fully pay off the DAP right this second. I’m losing my mind using my iPhone as my player.

Paypal credit offers 6month interest free.

Feb 22, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #5,375 of 9,406
Got my SP1000m blue in today. Plugged my headphones, hit the play button, and enjoy the few seconds that I had with it until I heard a pop noise and now the headphone out does work (balanced and single ended). I've since sent it back to the dealer to have them take a look at it. Has anyone here had that happen to them?

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #5,377 of 9,406
Got my SP1000m blue in today. Plugged my headphones, hit the play button, and enjoy the few seconds that I had with it until I heard a pop noise and now the headphone out does work (balanced and single ended). I've since sent it back to the dealer to have them take a look at it. Has anyone here had that happen to them?
That sucks.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #5,378 of 9,406
I've owned EE Zeus and 64 Audio U12s and while they sound good, I cannot recommend $1,500+ iems anymore considering you have really really good iems for around $1,000 that competes successfully with the $2k iems. Examples include RHA CL-2 ($900) which sounds superior to my old Zeus IEM (especially in the bass) and Beyerdynamic Xelentos at $829.
Agree, I go back and forth between AndroSS and Xelento, and it's nice to be able to switch up the sound signature. I'm thinking of getting the CL2's and creating an IEM triad.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #5,379 of 9,406
Hope you did not use "2.5 to x.x" adapter for you headphone/iem

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #5,381 of 9,406
Sounds like something shorted something out. Plugged it in and in seconds, pop. Could have been an issue with the device, but sounds more like a plug and port issue.

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #5,382 of 9,406
Sounds like something shorted something out. Plugged it in and in seconds, pop. Could have been an issue with the device, but sounds more like a plug and port issue.

Hope you did not use "2.5 to x.x" adapter for you headphone/iem

Possibly. I did a factory reset and updated to the latest firmware and it didn't solve the issue. I was using it with my EE Phantoms. Thankfully they are OKAY. I thought it was my headphones, but tried with my Andros single-end after the pop noise and still no sound. I have no clue what had happened. Hopefully, this is a one in a million case, but it shouldn't happen given the price of the player. Definitely sucks to have it delivered and having to send it back in the same day.

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #5,383 of 9,406
Sounds like a short, based on your comment. That could occur with the wrong plug in the wrong port. If not that, then likely a manufacturing defect not caught by QC at the factory. Things happen.

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #5,384 of 9,406
Possibly. I did a factory reset and updated to the latest firmware and it didn't solve the issue. I was using it with my EE Phantoms. Thankfully they are OKAY. I thought it was my headphones, but tried with my Andros single-end after the pop noise and still no sound. I have no clue what had happened. Hopefully, this is a one in a million case, but it shouldn't happen given the price of the player. Definitely sucks to have it delivered and having to send it back in the same day.
SE cable connected to balanced output may cause a short.
What i understand from combing through various threads, going from a 4 pole balanced to a SE headphone via an adapter creates a ground loop which can short out components which is unfortunate but makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back