New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Feb 21, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #5,357 of 9,406
Sounds like I need to check out Empire Ears Phantom. Any recommended source in the U.S.?

Their website is www.empireears.com and they are based in Norcross, Georgia, just outside of Atlanta. I met some of the team this past weekend at CanJam NYC, and they provided a great experience in trying out their gear.

Empire Ears has many models to choose from, both all balanced armatures IEMs like the Phantom, and hybrids like the Legend X. If you have time and the opportunity, I highly recommend auditioning them since we all have slightly varying hearing preferences. If you're close to NYC, Audio 46 is an awesome store and they have Empire Ears IEMs, among many others. Or if you can make it to a CanJam - that's an incredible opportunity since you can also try other manufacturers. For the amount of money TOTL IEMs cost, it's well worth it - even if it take a few months to do so.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #5,358 of 9,406
Sounds like I need to check out Empire Ears Phantom. Any recommended source in the U.S.?
I've owned EE Zeus and 64 Audio U12s and while they sound good, I cannot recommend $1,500+ iems anymore considering you have really really good iems for around $1,000 that competes successfully with the $2k iems. Examples include RHA CL-2 ($900) which sounds superior to my old Zeus IEM (especially in the bass) and Beyerdynamic Xelentos at $829.

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #5,360 of 9,406
I agree on having at least two IEMs and possibly having 2 favorite Daps as you tend to get bored listening on same device too long. By switching back and forth I can appreciate the unique sonic characteristics of each device.

I second this. Just picked up the A18t to go with my Legend X as it offers quite a different sound. Very happy with my choice.

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #5,361 of 9,406
I agree on having at least two IEMs and possibly having 2 favorite Daps as you tend to get bored listening on same device too long. By switching back and forth I can appreciate the unique sonic characteristics of each device.
I like that justification. Not so sure if my wife will buy that though...

:)

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #5,362 of 9,406
My Empire Ear Phantoms are phenomenal. I think I found my endgame set up for now: SP1000Cu, Effect Audio Janus D, and EE Phantoms. I can't really imagine it getting better, except for maybe dedicated listening sessions with much larger, much more expensive gear (and I think that would still have diminishing returns).

For reference, I think this set up is much more enjoyable than my Woo Audio WA8 + Focal Utopias.

Mine is similar - except I'm using the Leonidas (v1) cable instead of Janus D! Truly my end game set up.. for now... thinking about that Leonidas II or Janus D...

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #5,363 of 9,406

Having different IEMs for different types of music or listening choices is the way to go. Sometimes I want to hear the fun behind the music or I'm listening to a movie soundtrack and want to feel the bass, so I'll pick one IEM. Other times I want to listen to classical strings and want to hear every string, so I'll chose another IEM that better fits that style.

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #5,364 of 9,406
My Empire Ear Phantoms are phenomenal. I think I found my endgame set up for now: SP1000Cu, Effect Audio Janus D, and EE Phantoms. I can't really imagine it getting better, except for maybe dedicated listening sessions with much larger, much more expensive gear (and I think that would still have diminishing returns).

For reference, I think this set up is much more enjoyable than my Woo Audio WA8 + Focal Utopias.

Janus d and phantom is really something special!

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #5,365 of 9,406
What earphones are you guys finding compliment your 1000 or 1000m? Mine are getting old (Shure SE530).

My 2, I use the CA Atlas, which pairs magnificently with my sp1km... the combination of the Atlas power and musicality with the 1km's precision and clarity are a wonderful match...

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #5,368 of 9,406
My 2, I use the CA Atlas, which pairs magnificently with my sp1km... the combination of the Atlas power and musicality with the 1km's precision and clarity are a wonderful match...

Reading reviews on that one now - seems it's a good for electronic music or perhaps rock. I'd like something very natural sounding - I listen to a lot of classical music.

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #5,369 of 9,406
Is there any way to transfer music files wirelessly to the sp1000m from another device.... like my phone? I'm thinking there's not. But it would be cool if there was... since I'm at work and there's new releases out today that I'd sure like to get over to my sp1km to listen to!
Search GG akconnect

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #5,370 of 9,406
Reading reviews on that one now - seems it's a good for electronic music or perhaps rock. I'd like something very natural sounding - I listen to a lot of classical music.

The Atlas is natural, with power... :wink:
If it's only for classical, then I think some people would agree that maybe something along the hybrid or multiple driver would be more appropriate.
Classical sounds great on the Atlas, but it's like seeing a really hot curvy girl dancing ballet, really well... almost, but maybe there's better...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back