New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Feb 18, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #5,326 of 9,406
Does anyone use their A&K as a source into a conventional stereo system (i.e. not just headphones)? I've tried my 240ss and it just doesn't sound anywhere as good as a dedicated DAC. I'm curious if the later models are better in that respect.

Hello,

It was my intention to run my SP1000m gold via usb to my Sony tazh 1es desktop DAC/headphone amp however the DAP is better than expected through my Sony Z1R's that I don't bother.

I do run an output from the 3.5mm to my icon audio HP8 mkii valve amp with NOS valves and it sounds superb.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #5,327 of 9,406
1) from my SP1k, I output using a male 3.5mm cable (not balanced) to a male rca output and connect to my integrated tube amp

2) I have an integrated tube amp and there is a setting on the SP1k that allows me to adjust voltage output from 0.7, 1.0, and 2.0 volts (I think it's just a volume adjuster if you ask me).

Essentially, the line out feature (both unbalanced (3.5mm) and balanced (2.5mm)) sound good out of the SP1k. I use it to output to both my integrated tube amp and headphone amp.

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

I very much appreciate your reply!

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #5,329 of 9,406
I very much appreciate your reply!
The DAC implementation/sound out of the SP1k sounds very good for me and, in my opinion, competes with desktop-class DACs.

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #5,330 of 9,406
Demo of Commander One? Change ports and make sure you have the AK cable, restart the computer and the AK, it should see it. Turn on the AK all the way before plugging it in to the computer (and it won't work if the AK is off). When you pull down the dropdown on the left it should show as in my screenshot (or whatever you have connected or on wifi). If it still won't show, it may be that for some reason the freebie is preventing connection. It's a great program, worth the $.

commander.jpg

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #5,335 of 9,406
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #5,338 of 9,406
Just installed. Works perfectly. I had an issue with aft : it was disconnecting my Bluetooth each time I connect my spk
Resolved with commander one
Thanks.
Just make sure that you exit the program before you pull the USB plug out of the SPK. And always work from within the desktop it gives you. Don't minimize it and then drag stuff to it from your actual desktop, bad things can happen.

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #5,340 of 9,406
When i get round to it, i want to back up all my music to my computer. I have a Mac and Windows 10, but which is more friendly to the SP1000 ? I have both commander one and AFT on the Mac (must be freebies version) but i've never used them yet. With Windows would it simply be drag and drop or do you need added software for this also ? I'm sure i remember when i tried to transfer files/folders too many at a time some files or albums were disappearing into thin air on the SP1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back