New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 22, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #5,116 of 9,406
5.1.4 is perfectly alright. I know that offline content will remain when installing the new version over the old one. But as my favorites disappeared I needed to delete the new version again to switch back to 5.1.4. This killed my offline content.
Qobuz released version 5.1.5 last night. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but will try it out later today.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 22, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #5,117 of 9,406
Hi. Sorry for the silly question but what is the use of the hole on the top of the back of the sp1000?
It is a screw hole to secure add-on modules. For example, the AK300 series players had an add-on headphone amp that the player docked into and then was secured by a thumbscrew on the back of the amp to the player. If you look at the bottom of the SP1000, you will see 5 contact points, those are balanced out for connections to an add-on module.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 22, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #5,118 of 9,406
It is a screw hole to secure add-on modules. For example, the AK300 series players had an add-on headphone amp that the player docked into and then was secured by a thumbscrew on the back of the amp to the player. If you look at the bottom of the SP1000, you will see 5 contact points, those are balanced out for connections to an add-on module.
Thanks for this detailed answer.

Jan 22, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #5,119 of 9,406
@JasonNYC Did you get an answer back on the Roon timeline?

Jan 22, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #5,121 of 9,406
We still are waiting for feedback from the Roon team of the firmware we send over right before the holidays for testing. It takes them 4 - 6 weeks to test.

Thanks @JasonNYC . Anticipation is the best part of realization. Roon 1.6 just released with a great Radio option and Qobuz for all you to the south of the Great White North.

Jan 23, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #5,122 of 9,406
The Qobuz Android app is definitely still a work in progress. I spoke to the Qobuz USA team when I was at CES. They are pushing updates out quickly to get bugs fixed. They have mentioned in a few of the version release notes that installing the new version could erase all of your previous content and settings.

I don’t know what these guys are doing. They release a new firmware that does not show the favorites anymore and after 3 days still no emergency update. Why do they not test the firmware before release?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #5,125 of 9,406
I wonder if anyone can help advise. I currently have a Fiio X5 III and I've got sick of the bugs and very laggy interface. I was looking to upgrade from a sound perspective anyway but I definitely don't want something as buggy as the Fiio.

I'm happy to splash the cash on something like the SP1000m (the SP1000 looks too big for me). I don't particularly want to be upgrading again anytime soon hence thinking I'll get the SP1000M and hopefully I'll keep it for a while. I've not seen a whole lot of comparisons with the SR15 or the SE100 (though this is big like the SP1000) or many other models in general really. People compare it with the SP1000 but as I said that's too big and probably too much money as well!
I have a pair of SE846 so can someone convince me that it's worth buying the extra for the SP1000M? Note I'd be happy to upgrade the IEMs in the future if required.

Thanks.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #5,127 of 9,406
I wonder if anyone can help advise. I currently have a Fiio X5 III and I've got sick of the bugs and very laggy interface. I was looking to upgrade from a sound perspective anyway but I definitely don't want something as buggy as the Fiio.

I'm happy to splash the cash on something like the SP1000m (the SP1000 looks too big for me). I don't particularly want to be upgrading again anytime soon hence thinking I'll get the SP1000M and hopefully I'll keep it for a while. I've not seen a whole lot of comparisons with the SR15 or the SE100 (though this is big like the SP1000) or many other models in general really. People compare it with the SP1000 but as I said that's too big and probably too much money as well!
I have a pair of SE846 so can someone convince me that it's worth buying the extra for the SP1000M? Note I'd be happy to upgrade the IEMs in the future if required.

Thanks.
SP1000 is quite a bit better sound-wise and so much less buggy than the X5. I can't speak to the m version, but the big boy is superb. The 846 is pretty dated and it never was really up there in terms of sound. There are plenty of IEMs that will give you better sound. Empire Ears go well with AK, but there are lots of others as well.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #5,128 of 9,406

Thanks.
I recently took the plunge and bought a SE100 after comparing it to the 1000m in a longer listening session.

I would advice you to do the same and find out which kind of sound you prefer and/or whether the differences are worth the extra money for you. I was totally open and willing to buy the better sounding one. Have been quite surprised in the end, that I liked the SE100 Sabre sound even better than that of the 1000m (with the stuff and the IEM) I listened to. Who knows what you will hear? Since I also liked the form factor of the SE100 better than the 1000m (same weight but much larger and easier to use (type on) screen) I was happily saving some money for other gear.

Don't know the 846 but the actual IEMs are that good, that it might be a wise move to upgrade both, source and monitors...

Meanwhile I added a Kanas Pro to the DM6 I had used for the auditioning and I could not be happier atm...

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #5,129 of 9,406
Jan 24, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #5,130 of 9,406

Thanks.

X5iii is a hissing nightmare, can't imagine how you enjoying it with SE846 :wink: Going to SPKM will not only be an upgrade in user interface, but also in sound quality. Don't rush with IEM upgrade yet. Replace one variable at a time in that pair up equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back