New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 3, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #4,936 of 9,406
Yeah the charger will affect it based on my experience... I had a 5V charger that had more output than the recommended and it got hot while charging ... i panicked, and I switched it to a 2V and it fixed it for me...

does this device have QC built in? If not how long does it take to charge using a 2V charger? I have one on the way, so I am curious if, I cant use my portable battery charger.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #4,938 of 9,406
Hi Jason. I am using a charger exactly as per the recommended specs. I had one SP1000m die on me after a few days. Literally just switched off and wouldn't restart. Thinking it had maybe just run out of juice, I charged it and it very soon got so hot that I could barely touch it. I took it back to the store where I purchased it and they replaced it but, on first charge, my new unit is getting very hot (not as hot as the previous one but still fairly hot). I'm beginning to wonder if the store received a bad batch or is it normal behaviour to get very hot while charging?

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #4,939 of 9,406
I've also just noticed that, after charging to 100% last night and immediately switching it off, I have now switched the Sp1000m back on and it has drained to 85%.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #4,940 of 9,406
Hi Jason. I am using a charger exactly as per the recommended specs. I ...
Charger spec is one factor but do you think about a counterfeit charger?
I exactly faced that case. Side by side compare I saw some difference visually.
Fake charger couldnt charge my spk any time but it can charge my phone, fast charge

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #4,941 of 9,406
It's an official Samsung charger so definitely not a counterfeit charger.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #4,942 of 9,406
It's an official Samsung charger so definitely not a counterfeit charger.

Can you identify? Btw is your ss charger is original one in the package came with yr phone? Screenshot_20190104-184628_Gallery.jpg

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #4,943 of 9,406
Here's the charger. Bought from a Samsung store in the UK. Definitely not a counterfeit.
Samsung Charger.jpg

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #4,945 of 9,406
Two quick question for folks here:
  1. I read somewhere in this thread (cannot find the post now) that SQ was reduced (in the poster's opinion) when using an external source for the SP1000 vs. music on the device. Can anyone comment on this? I can't imagine why that would be, unless the USB implementation wasn't great.
  2. I plan on using the SP1000 mostly on my desktop in USB DAC mode, and occasionally going portable. Will having it plugged in constantly affect the battery?
Thanks!

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #4,946 of 9,406
Two quick question for folks here:
  1. I read somewhere in this thread (cannot find the post now) that SQ was reduced (in the poster's opinion) when using an external source for the SP1000 vs. music on the device. Can anyone comment on this? I can't imagine why that would be, unless the USB implementation wasn't great.
  2. I plan on using the SP1000 mostly on my desktop in USB DAC mode, and occasionally going portable. Will having it plugged in constantly affect the battery?
Thanks!

Answer for Q1, IMO spk has sweeter melody when feeding by laptop running Jriver to Spk via usb cable.
Idk if you wanted to ask this.
Or you ask the case play a track located on usb that plugged to spk?

Q2. No. Charger plugin constantly is ok no harmfull ( I read somewhere in this thread)

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #4,947 of 9,406
Answer for Q1, IMO spk has sweeter melody when feeding by laptop running Jriver to Spk via usb cable.
Idk if you wanted to ask this.
Or you ask the case play a track located on usb that plugged to spk?

Q2. No. Charger plugin constantly is ok no harmfull ( I read somewhere in this thread)

Thanks, that is good to hear on both fronts. Yes, I meant to ask about SQ when running SPK as an external DAC via USB. During the day I listen to music using Roon (with Tidal) on my Mac, so this would actually be my primary use case.

Though, is "sweeter" a good thing in your opinion? :) Mainly, if running the SPK in DAC mode is an improvement on my Woo Audio WA8 (which uses an ESS 9018K2M DAC chip), I'll be happy.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #4,948 of 9,406
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #4,949 of 9,406
Thanks, that is good to hear on both fronts. Yes, I meant to ask about SQ when running SPK as an external DAC via USB. During the day I listen to music using Roon (with Tidal) on my Mac, so this would actually be my primary use case.

Though, is "sweeter" a good thing in your opinion? :) Mainly, if running the SPK in DAC mode is an improvement on my Woo Audio WA8 (which uses an ESS 9018K2M DAC chip), I'll be happy.
I dont have wa8 so can not comment on it.
But dac running mode of spk is more musicality than dap running alone.
Dac mode has fuller sound, smoother but no compromise detail level.
It is quite the same when I use spk->desktop amp ->full size hi impedance cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back