New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Nov 25, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #4,516 of 9,406
Ordered mine from audio46, should come in a week. How is the sound? Can you talk about it a little?

Hi,

To be honest I'm not a real expert/technical, but do know if I like what I hear. Therefore I can only describe it in my own words. At this time I've not listened many hours (7-8) and searching for my preferred combination of earphones. Have a couple of them and not high-end (all to do with funds :wink: ) at all, like some of the other members are showing. Personally, I like the AngieII a lot. I've listened before a lot to a AK120 and a PCM-D100, so the SP1KM is a nice (rather big step imho) replacement. I did listened to other devices and still decided to go ahead with the SP1KM.

For me I was immediately very impressed, especially about the range, how full the spectrum is. I've the feeling that especially there is much more depth and it sounds more crisp but still very warm on the treble. Also I can hear the difference in quality of files much better, which more or less opens another world for me. :)
Besides the being impressed by the quality of sound I immediately noticed the power of this little technical wonder, which for me is just amazing.

All in all, I think you're in for a treat!!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #4,517 of 9,406
anyone know color indication meaning?

I remember to have read somewhere it had to do with the origin of the file. Blue being a MQA studio file file that has the approval from the artist/producer.

Hope this will set/puts you in the right direction.

[edit]
Just tried to find it again and it was in an article:
http://support.aurender.com/mqa.html

also found this quote on another forum and supposed to also be found on the MQA website: http://www.mqa.co.uk
"Green is very good - it is verified as the utmost available quality. Blue is the added benefit that one of the Artists/Producer/Copywriter holder has heard this version release and has approved it as what was intended at the time of recording."
[/edit]

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #4,518 of 9,406
Hi,

To be honest I'm not a real expert/technical, but do know if I like what I hear. Therefore I can only describe it in my own words. At this time I've not listened many hours (7-8) and searching for my preferred combination of earphones. Have a couple of them and not high-end (all to do with funds :wink: ) at all, like some of the other members are showing. Personally, I like the AngieII a lot. I've listened before a lot to a AK120 and a PCM-D100, so the SP1KM is a nice (rather big step imho) replacement. I did listened to other devices and still decided to go ahead with the SP1KM.

For me I was immediately very impressed, especially about the range, how full the spectrum is. I've the feeling that especially there is much more depth and it sounds more crisp but still very warm on the treble. Also I can hear the difference in quality of files much better, which more or less opens another world for me. :)
Besides the being impressed by the quality of sound I immediately noticed the power of this little technical wonder, which for me is just amazing.

All in all, I think you're in for a treat!!

which more or less opens another world for me...

I'll take it!

Nov 25, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #4,519 of 9,406
anyone know color indication meaning?
Beside the text "382khz/MQA" has a color dot.
Sometimes it is blue sometimes green
When playing back MQA files, you will see a green dot to indicate a MQA-encoded file or a blue dot to indicate the file is a MQA Studio file, which has been approved by the artist/producer in the studio or has been verified by the copyright owner.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 25, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #4,520 of 9,406
Definitely liking the combo of the SP1000 and Solaris. I think these are going to see more listening time than my JH Roxannes.
IMG_0750.jpg

Nov 25, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #4,521 of 9,406
Definitely liking the combo of the SP1000 and Solaris. I think these are going to see more listening time than my JH Roxannes.

Do tell! Do tell! How is the bass on these beauties? Can you talk about the sound a little?

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #4,522 of 9,406
Do tell! Do tell! How is the bass on these beauties? Can you talk about the sound a little?
I am still burning them in but here is some initial impressions.

The bass is great. There is a good level of impact and I find it to be punchy too. The mids are nice and even. The highs started off a bit bright but seem to be calming down with burn in. The imaging is very good and sound stage is pretty wide and has good depth.

I am coming from the jh roxanne and the biggest improvement is in the treble. It is much more open and airy. Listening to Michael Hedges I can clearly hear the pick and his finger strokes on the guitar strings.

I find the signature much closer to my lcd x than the roxanne was. I was looking into the Tia fourte, empire legend x, or the u18t. I am really glad that I went with the solaris. It is more balanced than the fourte to me and it is $2,000 less. Campfire seems to be a voice of reason in the current market in regards to pricing. I love the roxanne but I don't think they should be priced as high as they are.

I will post more once they are full burnt in and I have more time with them.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #4,523 of 9,406
Wow, this looks fabulous and I love that you are using the same cables as I do. I'm seriously considering this for my setup with my HD800's
Jumping in: Excuse my ignorance, but why would you want both balanced and unbalanced out of sp1000 coming into amp?

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #4,524 of 9,406
Jumping in: Excuse my ignorance, but why would you want both balanced and unbalanced out of sp1000 coming into amp?
If I am correct, that was a about cable linking sp1k to amp by bal.mode.
Yes need both 3.5 and 2.5 jack where 3.5 will be grounded role.
However only 2.5 does it job well w/o 3.5

Nov 26, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #4,525 of 9,406
If I am correct, that was a about cable linking sp1k to amp by bal.mode.
Yes need both 3.5 and 2.5 jack where 3.5 will be grounded role.
However only 2.5 does it job well w/o 3.5

You are correct :wink:

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #4,526 of 9,406
3.5mm is for grounding and yes it makes a difference.
20181013_040453.jpg

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #4,528 of 9,406
3.5mm is for grounding and yes it makes a difference.
Really?
Did you play with volume=0 on sp1k while your headamp volume set to max ?
It will not make any noise you can hear right?
So, let do a compare or if you tried already, what did you hear?
It is theory and the role of balance conmection

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #4,529 of 9,406
Makes a difference how? It doesn't work at all without the unbalanced ground? Why isn't the ground reference from the balanced connection sufficient?
Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 8.46.41 PM.png

This schematic diagram is for connecting sp1000 and mass kobo 424(source: masskobo website). As you can see the 2.5mm TRRS lacks a ground. 3.5mmTRS acts as ground. On the other side, there is 4.4mm TRRRS Pentaconn plug.
The improvement in sound quality is quite easily noticeable.
1. Background becomes pitch black, this allows the subtle sounds to be more easily audible & you will be surprised to know that how much of music gets drowned when the noise floor is not taken care of.
2. Soundstage depth & width, imaging & layering improves.
3. The transient response & tonality is improves
4. The bass notes gets more extension & definition.
5. The mids have more body, emotional & overall resolution improves especially when multiple vocalists are involved. Its easier to differentiate them with precise imaging.
4. The overall output (power) increases which is really helpful in driving LCD i4. ( I have realised lately that sp1k balanced out is not sufficient for lcdi4).

Other connections as follows:
Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 9.02.14 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 9.02.05 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 9.01.58 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 9.01.51 PM.png

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #4,530 of 9,406

This schematic diagram is for connecting sp1000 and mass kobo 424(source: masskobo website). As you can see the 2.5mm TRRS lacks a ground. 3.5mmTRS acts as ground. On the other side, there is 4.4mm TRRRS Pentaconn plug.
The improvement in sound quality is quite easily noticeable.
1. Background becomes pitch black, this allows the subtle sounds to be more easily audible & you will be surprised to know that how much of music gets drowned when the noise floor is not taken care of.
2. Soundstage depth & width, imaging & layering improves.
3. The transient response & tonality is improves
4. The bass notes gets more extension & definition.
5. The mids have more body, emotional & overall resolution improves especially when multiple vocalists are involved. Its easier to differentiate them with precise imaging.
4. The overall output (power) increases which is really helpful in driving LCD i4. ( I have realised lately that sp1k balanced out is not sufficient for lcdi4).

Other connections as follows:

That's detail dwg. Thanks.
But I focus on real effective can archive.
I found ground is nothing need if drives are battery operating mode.
Set dap vol =0 and amp vol =max(to gain any noise of transmition to max level) to confirm is best way.
Also touch to metal body during test (to gain more noise cause by groundless problem)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back