New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #1,906 of 9,406
Funny I really did not like the RE2000 when I had the opportunity to try them for 15 minutes. I found them to be kind of V-Shaped and the soundstage somewhat lacking for the asking price. But to each his own!

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #1,907 of 9,406
I’m currently contemplating about the U18 Tzar, and I’m very tempted to order them..
Although this defies your “not spending as much as SP1000 cost”.. I think the SP deserves such an IEM :)

Thnx for the Andromeda suggestion, will try to audition them if I can!

I would be very paranoid to carry $7k worth of gear around NYC. Talking about SP1000 and Tsar for example.

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,908 of 9,406
I'm still considering an EE Zeus XR (Uni). Hoping for a sale, as $2400 is pretty pricey. But if I do get them I'll let my Uni Angie 1 go, along with my two Moon cables. Someone will get a good deal, and it will offset the cost of the Zeus. Keeping the UERM though. :)

Oct 24, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #1,909 of 9,406
Funny I really did not like the RE2000 when I had the opportunity to try them for 15 minutes. I found them to be kind of V-Shaped and the soundstage somewhat lacking for the asking price. But to each his own!
Your impression may have been due to the ear tips you used. My initial impression was also a disappointing one. The tips attached to the earphones when first opened the box were the worst. I went through all the tips that came with the RE2000 and settled on a pair of Comply Foam tips. Triple flange one was also good but a bit too long for me.
To my ears, sound stage is one of the strong suits of RE2000.

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #1,910 of 9,406
I went from Angie II to the A18 Tzar and it was a major upgrade. I since sold off all my desktop gear. In my opinion the sp1000 and Tzar combo is the pinnacle of mobile audio and don’t regret it, now fully mobile I can listen anywhere. If you have the budget I highly recommend the combo.

7B6E5A7A-4D24-4757-8B55-00F630C59810.jpeg

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,912 of 9,406
Dionysus: "I went from Angie II to the A18 Tzar and it was a major upgrade. I since sold off all my desktop gear. In my opinion the sp1000 and Tzar combo is the pinnacle of mobile audio and don’t regret it, now fully mobile I can listen anywhere. If you have the budget I highly recommend the combo"

Well yeah, a $1K to $3K difference. I'd hope it was a major upgrade. :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #1,913 of 9,406
I would be very paranoid to carry $7k worth of gear around NYC. Talking about SP1000 and Tsar for example.
I would also be very paranoid, but fortunately/unfortunately I don't live in NYC. :)

I went from Angie II to the A18 Tzar and it was a major upgrade. I since sold off all my desktop gear. In my opinion the sp1000 and Tzar combo is the pinnacle of mobile audio and don’t regret it, now fully mobile I can listen anywhere. If you have the budget I highly recommend the combo.
I had a brief audition of the SP1000Cu + U18 Tzar and I also loved the combo. I never had a CIEM in my life but maybe I should consider the A18 ..

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #1,914 of 9,406
When my A18 arrives and complete the SP1000cu A18 combo, I can definitely see myself putting away my desktop setup for quite a while.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #1,915 of 9,406
Reporting back that the SanDisk Ultra 400GB microSDXC is working flawlessly for quite some time now.

IMG_2420.jpg IMG_2417.jpg

And it pairs very well with the Dignis Alcantara Red case.. :ksc75smile:

p.s.: I hate the thingy to remove and insert the card slot, lost it and found it back several times by now.. though it looks "AK beautiful".

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,916 of 9,406
I'm still considering an EE Zeus XR (Uni). Hoping for a sale, as $2400 is pretty pricey. But if I do get them I'll let my Uni Angie 1 go, along with my two Moon cables. Someone will get a good deal, and it will offset the cost of the Zeus. Keeping the UERM though. :)
I don't think you'll regret getting the Zeus XR. To my ears, it remains the best IEM on the market. I very much prefer the sound of the X variant, but with the XR, you're getting 2 distinct sounds in one package. Go for it, if you're considering an upgrade. :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,917 of 9,406
Thanks. Just concerned about possible hiss with the SP1000. I was going to try it at CanJam LA but Jack got stuck at the airport and never made it out. :)

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,918 of 9,406
After some years as a returning A&K customer (AK100 -> AK120 -> AK70 mrk I) I decided to join the club of SP1000 owners about a week ago. I have been enjoying this beautiful "little" music player ever since. I am using it together with the Shure SE846 IEM and guess what my next upgrade will be targeted at...:smile_phones: I do however need to recover from the cash drain after SP1000 purchase.

I am listening to a lot of different music covering classical orchestra, opera, jazz, rock, pop etc. and I do think that this combination of player and earphone offer a very nice sounding combination. IMHO the sound quality of this player together with my trusted SE846 is no less than amazing - though I am sure improvements can be made.

I am also new to this forum and have a quick question that you might be able to answer for me. In my album view the player displays som albums double even though the album only is stored in one location on the player. An example of this is David Bowies - Let's Dance album where it will show up as "Let's Dance" and then again as a seperate album named "Letâ€(tm)s Dance". Unfortunately I am unable to upload images to the forum properly because I am a new member and this is my first post.

Some time a "initialize media scan" will cure the problem and the album will show once in the album view. Then after I have switched the player on and off a number of times the double display of albums in album view is back and a "ini..." will then solve the problem again. The "double" display of albums in album view does only seem to happen when the album title includes special characters such as "let's" in the David Bowie album title or the speciel danish characters "åæø".

Any advice on what can be done to overcome this problem would be highly appreciated.

Br - Brian

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #1,919 of 9,406
Count me in as one who has sold off their complete desktop rig and sold my AK380CU for the SP1000 after listening to 64Audio U18.. waiting for my custom A18 to arrive. Honestly, the Shure SE846 sounds REALLY good and A18 sound AMAZING with the AK380cu. I’m done searching for a few years after this setup.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,920 of 9,406
After some years as a returning A&K customer (AK100 -> AK120 -> AK70 mrk I) I decided to join the club of SP1000 owners about a week ago. I have been enjoying this beautiful "little" music player ever since. I am using it together with the Shure SE846 IEM and guess what my next upgrade will be targeted at...:smile_phones: I do however need to recover from the cash drain after SP1000 purchase.

I am listening to a lot of different music covering classical orchestra, opera, jazz, rock, pop etc. and I do think that this combination of player and earphone offer a very nice sounding combination. IMHO the sound quality of this player together with my trusted SE846 is no less than amazing - though I am sure improvements can be made.

I am also new to this forum and have a quick question that you might be able to answer for me. In my album view the player displays som albums double even though the album only is stored in one location on the player. An example of this is David Bowies - Let's Dance album where it will show up as "Let's Dance" and then again as a seperate album named "Letâ€(tm)s Dance". Unfortunately I am unable to upload images to the forum properly because I am a new member and this is my first post.

Some time a "initialize media scan" will cure the problem and the album will show once in the album view. Then after I have switched the player on and off a number of times the double display of albums in album view is back and a "ini..." will then solve the problem again. The "double" display of albums in album view does only seem to happen when the album title includes special characters such as "let's" in the David Bowie album title or the speciel danish characters "åæø".

Any advice on what can be done to overcome this problem would be highly appreciated.

Br - Brian
Get an Audeze Lcd i4....perfect for classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back