New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 23, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #1,892 of 9,406
Hi everyone, I am planning on pulling the trigger on the SP1000 but beforehand I would like to have some feedback on using it as source for open-back heaphones through the balanced output. I was thinking about the Focal Clear. Do you think it can be driven correctly?

Thanks
Not sure about Focal phones but it’s a bit stretched to drive a pair of 250 ohm headphones.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,893 of 9,406
Not sure about Focal phones but it’s a bit stretched to drive a pair of 250 ohm headphones.
Umm... Maybe I'm misreading but Focal Clear is 55 Ohm / 104 dB SPL...

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #1,895 of 9,406
I tried the utopia with my WM1Z and I didn’t have any problem, the dap can drive them without any issue.
I didn’t try with the sp1000, but based on its specifications it shouldn’t be a problem.
Yes, SP1000 drives Utopia without any problem. Balanced connection is better, though.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #1,896 of 9,406
SE846 has been my daily commute / casual listening IEM for some time now or when I am doing grocery shopping or walking around in a mall. It never fails me as it is sturdy, and sounds pretty decent especially in the high-mids and the bass, even just with my mobile phones (iPhone 8+ and Samsung Galaxy Note 8) or the 10.5" iPad Pro (by the way, the new iPad Pros are some of the best sounding gadgets I have heard in years, probably even better than iPhone 4). I do have Layla, K10, UE18 Pro and Tia Fourte but it just happens that SE846 remains the IEM that I listen to mostly because of the convenience.

So this weekend I sat down and plugged it into the SP1000Cu. Wow. Just wow. I haven't done this until now because of my philosophy of "only the best deserves the best". I thought that although the SE846 is very good, it would not be able to demonstrate how good sounding the SP1000Cu is. Boy I was wrong. The SP1000Cu seems to be able to transcend every IEM to the next level. It may not have the soundstage or crazy separation and imaging like my Tia Fourte has, but the SE846 is definitely a star when it is connected to the SP1000Cu. Everything that sounded off when I listen to it through my mobile phones suddenly became crazily clear, smooth yet coherent. I suddenly realise that SE846, apart from Shure's electrostatic counterpart KSE1500, is still their flagship IEM - and quite rightly so. With the SP1000Cu, the SE846 can fully open its voice to its full potential - a feat finally made possible years after its debut.

When I bought the SE846 on release I thought then it was streets ahead of anything else at the time . Couple years later it may not be the best out there but it remains a fine fine iem. One of the items I have not sold when upgraditis takes hold.
Listening to Tom Waits dsd lp rip of Mule Variations on SP1000. Sounds mighty fine.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #1,898 of 9,406
I've purchased pouches from eBay and Amazon and Etsy and none of them really do it for the SP1000. I've currently got an order in for another of the VanNuys cases, the leather one, but it doesn't really protect the top of the device unless you count the velcro strap as protection.

The only case I've found that covers the entire device is rather big, and costs about $24.00. It does work well, it's just... big.

Thanks, bud! :)

I think my best bet now is to head to E-Earphone when I return to Tokyo in November. I'm hoping to snag some good Van Nuys cases then. The Dignis Alcantara was my preferred choice for some time, but I changed my mind after seeing the case in person - the suede material looks very susceptible to oil stains, dust accumulation, and the like.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,899 of 9,406
SE846 has been my daily commute / casual listening IEM for some time now or when I am doing grocery shopping or walking around in a mall. It never fails me as it is sturdy, and sounds pretty decent especially in the high-mids and the bass, even just with my mobile phones (iPhone 8+ and Samsung Galaxy Note 8) or the 10.5" iPad Pro (by the way, the new iPad Pros are some of the best sounding gadgets I have heard in years, probably even better than iPhone 4). I do have Layla, K10, UE18 Pro and Tia Fourte but it just happens that SE846 remains the IEM that I listen to mostly because of the convenience.

So this weekend I sat down and plugged it into the SP1000Cu. Wow. Just wow. I haven't done this until now because of my philosophy of "only the best deserves the best". I thought that although the SE846 is very good, it would not be able to demonstrate how good sounding the SP1000Cu is. Boy I was wrong. The SP1000Cu seems to be able to transcend every IEM to the next level. It may not have the soundstage or crazy separation and imaging like my Tia Fourte has, but the SE846 is definitely a star when it is connected to the SP1000Cu. Everything that sounded off when I listen to it through my mobile phones suddenly became crazily clear, smooth yet coherent. I suddenly realise that SE846, apart from Shure's electrostatic counterpart KSE1500, is still their flagship IEM - and quite rightly so. With the SP1000Cu, the SE846 can fully open its voice to its full potential - a feat finally made possible years after its debut.
SP1000Cu + Linum G2 SuperBaX + SE846 is my current travel combo.

Yes, the upper end is lacking, yes there are better IEMs everywhere around .. and I'm slowly searching for an upgrade.. but still, I agree with Louis, the pairing is mightily good.
And you don not have in your ears some super expensive IEMs while walking, flying, traveling around..

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #1,900 of 9,406
I think, Andromeda would be somewhat upgrade to SE846, at least in treble department.
I am wondering, which IEM will be upgrade to Andromeda paired with SP1000 without spending as much as SP1000 cost.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #1,902 of 9,406
Same question for me.
They are pairing very well especially with a balanced cable.

I can recommend the ones I own. Unique Melody Maestro (Mason) V2. Really great IEMs, well balanced, superb soundstage and details. Or Jomo Audio Samba. Both 1600-1700$.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #1,903 of 9,406
I think, Andromeda would be somewhat upgrade to SE846, at least in treble department.
I am wondering, which IEM will be upgrade to Andromeda paired with SP1000 without spending as much as SP1000 cost.
I’m currently contemplating about the U18 Tzar, and I’m very tempted to order them..
Although this defies your “not spending as much as SP1000 cost”.. I think the SP deserves such an IEM :)

Thnx for the Andromeda suggestion, will try to audition them if I can!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #1,904 of 9,406
Wait for Black Friday sale on Tzar. I am sure they going to have some discount.

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,905 of 9,406
I recommend Hifiman RE2000. I got one about a week ago. I love my HE1000v2 with Hugo 2. I have been seeking for an IEM similar to the HE1000v2 sound signature. Now I got one. It goes very well with SP1000Cu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back