New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 22, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #916 of 9,406
Those who have the SP1000 does it's screen have protection film on it, or did you put it by yourself ?
I know that few screen protection films are included in the box.
thanks

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #917 of 9,406
Based on what metric? This seems like quite a false / gratuitous / unsubstantiated / subjective statement.

It may be subjective to some extent, yes. Did you compare them side by side? I had the Hugo for some time. AK380 and SP1000 sound cleaner and more detailled over the whole frequency spectrum than both Mojo and Hugo 1, imho. There is an objectiv criteria too: the Mojo is obviously rolled off in the upper frequencies. This means, it is not neutral.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #918 of 9,406
IMG_6653.JPG
Those who have the SP1000 does it's screen have protection film on it, or did you put it by yourself ?
I know that few screen protection films are included in the box.
thanks

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #919 of 9,406
What do you guys compare? Mojo and Ultima are two different levels (also price levels:)). But quality goes alongside the price fortunately. Mojo at least for me sounds hardly better than a naked iPhone6... AK380SS and Ultima are desktop-DAC-killers. I have sold away some of my stuff because of AK380SS, using it as my main DAC, feeding into ASL Twin Head mk3 and STAX SR-009. AK makes some high end stuff. You hear more information in the sound, higher level imagining, better holography etc. You can't compare Mojo to this, maybe we could compare Hugo2 and Dave - that's what I'll be interested to test in the future.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #921 of 9,406
I was asking if, when you remove the first film covering the screen if there is another one protecting the screen, or did you put one those inside the box by yourself ? this film is not always easy to put on the screen
uhh there are no protective films on the SP1000 out of the box.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #922 of 9,406
What do you guys compare? Mojo and Ultima are two different levels (also price levels:)). But quality goes alongside the price fortunately. Mojo at least for me sounds hardly better than a naked iPhone6... AK380SS and Ultima are desktop-DAC-killers. I have sold away some of my stuff because of AK380SS, using it as my main DAC, feeding into ASL Twin Head mk3 and STAX SR-009. AK makes some high end stuff. You hear more information in the sound, higher level imagining, better holography etc. You can't compare Mojo to this, maybe we could compare Hugo2 and Dave - that's what I'll be interested to test in the future.

I like the Mojo but is way to smooth and warm, if that is the type os sound sig you like, then the mojo is for you. On the other hand if you like more resolution better detail retrieval, and more airy presentation with more high detail atop then you will love the SP1000 sound.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #923 of 9,406

So true, Piotr. I sold all my desktop stuff (Auralic Vega and Vio V281) after I got my AK380Cu.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #924 of 9,406
So true, Piotr. I sold all my desktop stuff (Auralic Vega and Vio V281) after I got my AK380Cu.

same here, with the SP1000 and the A&K balanced cable, I have got rid of AURALIC & HUGO dac.... and my audio rack became simpler :)

Auralic:HUGO + BHSE.JPG --> SP1000 + BHSE.JPG

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #926 of 9,406
What does "good" mean? To you? To someone else? Someone told you? You read it somewhere? Are you in the market for an X7ii or are you just posting that you believe there are better choices than the SP1000?

With TOTL devices, it often comes down to a relatively small difference in sound quality, but that small difference can be huge to the listener. It also comes down to UI, and my experience with Fiio's UI was not nearly as positive as my experience with two AK devices. And also other features and storage enter in to it as well.

Before I bought my first AK I didn't think there could be enough difference between them and lower-priced devices to make them worthwhile. I'm now on my second one and am seriously considering the SP1000. It all depends on what you the listener/consumer deem worthwhile.

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #927 of 9,406
I was told the new fiio x7ii is 80% as good as sp1000.
That 20% is a very big gap and much more difficulty upgrading to final.
Each 3% upgrade may cost by a scale.
While listeners paid for a RCA cable cost x10 to other one, but brings 3 or 5% SQ...
I bought a 10cm 3.5 to 3.5 cable from UK handmade and one from USA handmade too, but lastly I weld one for using, use 300 thread 7N Cu x 4 core compare to few thread per wire in handmade items. Different is just less than 3%( just enough feeling the changed) but I never use the two cable again

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #930 of 9,406
I tried this at a show in Beijing, but not my tracks, and the tracks where mostly crap, so could not form an impression on sound. There does not seem to be a dramatic jump in performance from my WM1Z but it seems less warm. The design and build are absolutely STUNNING. I could buy it just for that. The background is ultra silent, and the UI is great. My only issue is that it is quite wide and less convenient in your hand than WM1Z or LPG.
IMG_20170723_174542.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back