New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Nov 4, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #7,411 of 9,406
Does any know if I can install additional language support for the sp1000m? I need the traditional Chinese support to search my songs. Thanks!

Nov 4, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #7,412 of 9,406
Does any know if I can install additional language support for the sp1000m? I need the traditional Chinese support to search my songs. Thanks!

For traditional Chinese language support your SP1000M must be running on the CN firmware. The CM firmware doesn't support traditional Chinese language or input. To check, go to settings > system information. On that screen it should show the firmware version and whether it is the CN or CM edition of it. You should contact @JasonNYC if you happen to be running the "wrong" firmware edition. He can help with that.

For a full list of the country, language and keyboards options available with each firmware see below:

CM firmware:

Country : Europe, USA, Japan, Russia, etc. expect for CN version
Language : English, Korean, Japanese, Russian, German, French
Keyboard: English, Korean, Japanese, Russian

CN firmware:

Language: English, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional
Keyboard: English, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional

Off topic: I find it rather odd that the CM firmware doesn't support QWERTZ and AZERTY keyboard layouts for German and French input respectively, since it does support those languages. People from those countries must therefore use a keyboard layout they are not used to.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #7,413 of 9,406

You can ask a firmware imagine for China then manually flash it to sp1k

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #7,414 of 9,406
Hi headfiers, May I ask how good or bad SP1000 as source component in your experience compare to standalone DAC? I am using with HDVA600 and it sounds great but curious if I should up grade to better standalone DAC at budget of 1,000 to 1,2000 usd what would you recommend? I like using AK connect but if I go for DAC I will use roon and microrendu.

I compare lindemann 24/192 and SP1000 as source component sound better to my ears.

Thank you for your advise.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #7,415 of 9,406
Hi headfiers, May I ask how good or bad SP1000 as source component in your experience compare to standalone DAC? I am using with HDVA600 and it sounds great but curious if I should up grade to better standalone DAC at budget of 1,000 to 1,2000 usd what would you recommend? I like using AK connect but if I go for DAC I will use roon and microrendu.

I compare lindemann 24/192 and SP1000 as source component sound better to my ears.

Thank you for your advise.
I have the RME ADI2 DAC, which is one of the best standalone desktop sources I’ve tried in that price range. Still prefer the 1000M myself

Nov 4, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #7,416 of 9,406
thank you all. I will PM Jason, cheers
For traditional Chinese language support your SP1000M must be running on the CN firmware. The CM firmware doesn't support traditional Chinese language or input. To check, go to settings > system information. On that screen it should show the firmware version and whether it is the CN or CM edition of it. You should contact @JasonNYC if you happen to be running the "wrong" firmware edition. He can help with that.

For a full list of the country, language and keyboards options available with each firmware see below:

CM firmware:

Country : Europe, USA, Japan, Russia, etc. expect for CN version
Language : English, Korean, Japanese, Russian, German, French
Keyboard: English, Korean, Japanese, Russian

CN firmware:

Language: English, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional
Keyboard: English, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional

Off topic: I find it rather odd that the CM firmware doesn't support QWERTZ and AZERTY keyboard layouts for German and French input respectively, since it does support those languages. People from those countries must therefore use a keyboard layout they are not used to.

You can ask a firmware imagine for China then manually flash it to sp1k

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #7,417 of 9,406
I have the RME ADI2 DAC, which is one of the best standalone desktop sources I’ve tried in that price range. Still prefer the 1000M myself

Thank you for your answer RME ADI2 DAC is interesting choice. How much better RME ADI2 campare to your SP1000M. It is AK DAC chip I guess sound charecter would be similar to SP1000M right?

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #7,418 of 9,406
Thank you for your answer RME ADI2 DAC is interesting choice. How much better RME ADI2 campare to your SP1000M. It is AK DAC chip I guess sound charecter would be similar to SP1000M right?
The RME is a bit more neutral, while the 1000M is somewhat brighter and has better clarity. I like bright IEMs and sound so yeah, that’s why I prefer the AL :)

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #7,419 of 9,406
The RME is a bit more neutral, while the 1000M is somewhat brighter and has better clarity. I like bright IEMs and sound so yeah, that’s why I prefer the AL :)

Thanks so much this is helpful. I will then keep SP1000 I like their sound and I like AK connect use as steamer, very clean set up I hope SP1000 will be roon ready soon.

My only issue is AK connect interrupted by override Spark App in upnp set up. I wish AK would finish new firmware with roon ready that will be all in one dap of the dream.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #7,420 of 9,406
Thanks so much this is helpful. I will then keep SP1000 I like their sound and I like AK connect use as steamer, very clean set up I hope SP1000 will be roon ready soon.

My only issue is AK connect interrupted by override Spark App in upnp set up. I wish AK would finish new firmware with roon ready that will be all in one dap of the dream.
I'm also looking for a good desktop DAC, something to maybe replace the RME ADI 2 DAC, but I'm yet to find something I really like

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #7,423 of 9,406
@JasonNYC do SE100 and SP1000 share the same processor+RAM? I could swear the SP1000 intried in the shop felt a little snappier.
I’ve actually had a consistently weird experience with that

I got the SP1000M, and at first it was really slow. Took about a month of consistent use for its UI to become actually quick and pleasant to use. Same with my AK SR15

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #7,424 of 9,406
What was the result of this? I got an SP1000M today with 2 dead pixels and I see many others having the same problem. I have a replacement device on the way, can I expect the same problem?!
This is a rare occurrence. I have been notified of only one other case, not many. I see you have a replacement on the way.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 5, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #7,425 of 9,406
I'm also looking for a good desktop DAC, something to maybe replace the RME ADI 2 DAC, but I'm yet to find something I really like

I just found out Audirvana plus found SP1000 UPnP. I wonder why Roon could not find SP1000 UPnP but Audirvana found it anw it sounds great playback using Audirvana. If I can use with Roon it will be great so I don't switch between apps back and forth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back