New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 31, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #6,886 of 9,406
@JasonNYC need your help passing infors to software development team.
Google chrome should be in the app list.

It will bring Youtube(web UI) to every user.
Not bad idea to play youtube on sp1k.
Screen size, cpu and other HW, battery.... all are enough.

I am using like that.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #6,887 of 9,406
My vote for the volume limiter as well @JasonNYC!

Almost blew my ears a couple of times, in the same way: open the list, accidentally touch volume knob, you think you scroll the list and instead you blow your eardrums...

Jul 31, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #6,888 of 9,406
Hmm, I'm currently trialing IDAGIO, I started my trial from my Galaxy S10+ phone some days ago. The ongoing trial is working on the desktop version as well. But the SP1000 installation, logged into the same account, doesn't seem to recognize the ongoing trial. Is it because of the trial? I can't subscribe, I have to wait for the trial period to expire.
"Login with Google" option obviously doesn't work, because of expected Google Play Services, "Login with email" option works, but no trial recognized.

Anyone with an ongoing paid subscription can give it a check and confirm it does recognize it when used in the SP1000?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #6,889 of 9,406
@JasonNYC
It will bring Youtube(web UI) to every user.
Not bad idea to play youtube on sp1k.
I am using like that.
I'm scratching my head on this one...you use a $3,500 DAP to stream low res files? Am I missing something?

Jul 31, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #6,890 of 9,406
I'm scratching my head on this one...you use a $3,500 DAP to stream low res files? Am I missing something?
Up to you.

Youtube, Tidal streaming does not lead to a conclusion about sound quality.
Ex. I found "master" tracks on tidal sound not better than normal "hifi" track. Not all but it's existing.
I also find music videos on youtube have sq not less than the one on Spotify.
Are you thinking youtube video has mp3 sound?

Jul 31, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #6,891 of 9,406
Up to you.

Youtube, Tidal streaming does not lead to a conclusion about sound quality.
Ex. I found "master" tracks on tidal sound not better than normal "hifi" track. Not all but it's existing.
I also find music videos on youtube have sq not less than the one on Spotify.
Are you thinking youtube video has mp3 sound?
I dont watch music videos on my SP1k but I do find new music via Tidal HiFi and Roon (which is great btw so looking forward to AK adding it).

I guess to each his/her own as long as you enjoy the music!

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #6,892 of 9,406
Yeah, uhm not feeling google or YouTube. I would never put either one on my SP1000, ever.

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #6,894 of 9,406
I don’t understand AK’s direction with lossy streaming such as Apple etc. lsn’t that what an iphone is for? Chord’s attitude to MQA and embracing Roon with their Poly/Mojo is looking better all the time.

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #6,895 of 9,406
I have found excellent quality music that’s been recorded and mastered well on all formats inc from ITunes and YouTube. Equally I have heard poor recordings on hi-res too. For me the format does give a guarantee on quality of sound.

I'll second that... more than once I've heard very well recorded music (and other stuff!) in Youtube that really intrigued me and wished I could hear in better conditions... an SPK would definitely be it!

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #6,896 of 9,406
I just updated to 1.20 and I don't see any differences/changes:

1) Browsing by Artist where there are multiple albums, it shows each track instead of just the albums

2) there are no new services

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #6,897 of 9,406
I just updated to 1.20 and I don't see any differences/changes:

1) Browsing by Artist where there are multiple albums, it shows each track instead of just the albums

2) there are no new services

Updated to 1.20 on my SPKM this morning with the same results. Am I missing a step??

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #6,898 of 9,406
Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 31, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #6,900 of 9,406
New Firmware coming soon!

New firmware is releasing tomorrow that will optimize your AK player to support 1TB microSD cards. Plus, new Open APP Streaming Services have been added! Turn on your WiFi to check for availability.
See below for details by model.
New Firmware by Model

SP1000, SP1000M & SE100
- New Open APP Services added: 7Digital, Apple Music, Audiobooks from Audible, BBC iPlayer Radio, Foobar2000, IDAGIO, Last.FM, Nugs.net, Onkyo Music, Player FM and Yandex Music.
- 1TB microSD card support
- Other operational stability improvements

That is awesome! I've asked this before, but not sure if it has been implemented yet, but will using its as a USB DAC allow its MQA unfolding capabilities to be fully realized?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back