New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 27, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #6,841 of 9,406
The 380 has a different sound sig from the 240 and the SP1000. Some folks loved it, others not so much. Read the 380 threads. Personally, I think the SP1000 is the ultimate - have had mine for two years and absolutely no desire to replace it.

Jul 28, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #6,843 of 9,406
Hey guys,

I have a question. I am in love with my SP1000. I’m using it with balanced armature IEMs on the go and have nothing bad to report. I wonder, however, if any of you has experienced an improvement in SQ when adding a high end amplifier such as the WA8 into the mix when using these low impedance IEMs. Does it make a difference at all?

I mean, the SP1000 is more than aptly capable of driving these IEM. Is a benefit to be expected when using an amp with these?

Jul 28, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #6,845 of 9,406
Hey guys,

I have a question. I am in love with my SP1000. I’m using it with balanced armature IEMs on the go and have nothing bad to report. I wonder, however, if any of you has experienced an improvement in SQ when adding a high end amplifier such as the WA8 into the mix when using these low impedance IEMs. Does it make a difference at all?

I mean, the SP1000 is more than aptly capable of driving these IEM. Is a benefit to be expected when using an amp with these?
Yes, sound signature changes. It depends on your iems and the amp. Overall, I prefer to amp the SP1K with a high quality amp like the WA11 based on my headphones/iems.

Jul 28, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #6,847 of 9,406
The amp stage of the SPK is plenty powerful. Enough to easily drive iems. Why would you want to add another pound to what you are carrying around by adding an amp? I could see it for a desktop system with full-sized headphones, but iems?

Jul 28, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #6,848 of 9,406
The amp stage of the SPK is plenty powerful. Enough to easily drive iems. Why would you want to add another pound to what you are carrying around by adding an amp? I could see it for a desktop system with full-sized headphones, but iems?
Lol...you make a lot of sense. But my Sony IEMs do seem to sound better with my SP1k, externally amped. Could just be my ears...

Jul 28, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #6,849 of 9,406
I someone is looking for a different sound signature with the sp1000 the ALO CV5 is a great option. I use my sp1000 pretty much exclusively with iems now. Save for some couch time with the clears or lcd x. I am listening to speakers more now and when that is not an option it is usually the ab1266 with my desktop setup. I am interested I'd anyone has tried the sp1000amp with the ab1266?:thinking:

Jul 28, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #6,850 of 9,406
Lol...you make a lot of sense. But my Sony IEMs do seem to sound better with my SP1k, externally amped. Could just be my ears...

You're not wrong. If the IEMs are strictly BA, sp1000 can do it easily. The dynamic and hybrids are the ones that are difficult to drive.

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #6,851 of 9,406
I will pass this on. Firmware update next week will add official support for IDAGIO classical music streaming service.

Great news! Here's another vote for Primephonic, as it offers gapless and high res audio, which Idagio lacks.

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #6,852 of 9,406
@JasonNYC i have a concern with the playlist management in the DAP.
The same song can be add several times in the same playlist file. I'm really inconfortable with that possibility. before, that was not possible.
few years ago, I was told that many customers complained and request for that. But I was not aware of that survey.
Could you please pass that to the software service, so that they bring back the function as it was at the beginning ? if someone want to add the same same song many times, he can create another playlist and add it there.
but it is really inconfortable to me, and yesterday, I was about to smash my combo (SP1000ss + AMP SP1000ss) on the floor ...
thanks you

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #6,853 of 9,406
@JasonNYC i have a concern with the playlist management in the DAP.
The same song can be add several times in the same playlist file. I'm really inconfortable with that possibility. before, that was not possible.
few years ago, I was told that many customers complained and request for that. But I was not aware of that survey.
Could you please pass that to the software service, so that they bring back the function as it was at the beginning ? if someone want to add the same same song many times, he can create another playlist and add it there.
but it is really inconfortable to me, and yesterday, I was about to smash my combo (SP1000ss + AMP SP1000ss) on the floor ...
thanks you

Just when you think you understand the demographic that buys a beautifully crafted high-end audio player, you see post that reminds you it's a broad church.

To recap...

Something worked a certain way.
Some people asked can it be different
No-one asked me
Change it back to how it was before
Or I will smash my things up

Brilliant.

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #6,855 of 9,406
T
Just when you think you understand the demographic that buys a beautifully crafted high-end audio player, you see post that reminds you it's a broad church.

To recap...

Something worked a certain way.
Some people asked can it be different
No-one asked me
Change it back to how it was before
Or I will smash my things up

Brilliant.
Just said I was about to... Not I will...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back