New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 26, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #4,306 of 9,406
What is the difference between ak Connect and ak connect HD?

Why there is no Tidal on HD öne?

The tidal Control real sucks is there ant other way to control sp1000?

Sounds very good connected to my stereo with a cheap cable.... i am sure will be very good with a nicer one....

With mqa and roon this device will be a streamer

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #4,309 of 9,406
Iriver is offering a very stressful warranty policy for us customers. I bought a sp1000 music player 5 months ago in mainland China since only the device been purchased in China has the language choice of simplified Chinese. So I didn't buy it in North America. But now, It has some issues in its battery that stop the charging progress all the time. I send an email to the Iriver customer service in North America. They said "AKCS US team is required to process the unit as an Out-of-Warranty service based on the purchase information that’s given. " This kind of warranty service is so disappointing.

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #4,310 of 9,406
Iriver is offering a very stressful warranty policy for us customers. I bought a sp1000 music player 5 months ago in mainland China since only the device been purchased in China has the language choice of simplified Chinese. So I didn't buy it in North America. But now, It has some issues in its battery that stop the charging progress all the time. I send an email to the Iriver customer service in North America. They said "AKCS US team is required to process the unit as an Out-of-Warranty service based on the purchase information that’s given. " This kind of warranty service is so disappointing.

As much as I empathise on whats happening to you, there are some reality checks here :

1) When you buy things overseas, you know you are taking on some risks when it comes to post sales situation.

2) Most if not all vendors, they dont have unified or streamline post sales services like APPLE : meaning regardless where you bought your device, you cant just send it in to the local service center and expect them to service you as if you are a local customer. This due to costing, tax and accounting issues. Eg how do you account for a device that is sold in china where the profit is "localised".

3) I personally have purchased things from overseas and I either send it back to the dealer who sold me the device and wait or I talk to the manufacturer and deal with them direct. Either ways, I have to incur more costs (shippings etc) and (waiting) time.

There are always some exceptions but those are far and few. There's nothing to be disappointing once you understand how things work and manage your expectations.

PS : I am very sure that you probably got your SPK at a much cheaper price in china as compared to buying them in US.....so there you go :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #4,311 of 9,406
As much as I empathise on whats happening to you, there are some reality checks here :

1) When you buy things overseas, you know you are taking on some risks when it comes to post sales situation.

2) Most if not all vendors, they dont have unified or streamline post sales services like APPLE : meaning regardless where you bought your device, you cant just send it in to the local service center and expect them to service you as if you are a local customer. This due to costing, tax and accounting issues. Eg how do you account for a device that is sold in china where the profit is "localised".

3) I personally have purchased things from overseas and I either send it back to the dealer who sold me the device and wait or I talk to the manufacturer and deal with them direct. Either ways, I have to incur more costs (shippings etc) and (waiting) time.

There are always some exceptions but those are far and few. There's nothing to be disappointing once you understand how things work and manage your expectations.

PS : I am very sure that you probably got your SPK at a much cheaper price in china as compared to buying them in US.....so there you go :)

At least I wouldn't recommend others to purchase Iriver product anymore. And, please tell me where can I find the dealer who is selling a much cheaper price than US. And all Apple devices have Chinese build-in, my friend. Just mentioning if you don't know.

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #4,312 of 9,406
This is standard policy from any Consumer Electronics manufacturer. Warranty only applies to products purchased in that country, from an authorized dealer and by the original purchaser and warranties are not transferable. Our warranty policy has been discussed in these threads and is also the same policy as Sony, Onkyo/Pioneer, Samsung, LG and other CE manufacturers.

As our customer support team discussed with you, you can reach out to the Chinese dealer you purchased the unit from for an in-warranty repair, or we can process an out-of-warranty repair here in the US. We give the out of warranty option unlike most manufacturers who will not even process an out of warranty repair for something purchased out of country.

Also, discussed many times in these threads, if you purchased a player here in the US and wanted the Chinese language choice, we would change the language options for you free of charge.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #4,313 of 9,406
From past posts, I am getting conflicting info. Please help... Can you specify Tidal to download off-line songs to external memory (SSD) on SP1000? Can you please provide instructions? Thanks in advance.
@SP1000_WOW I responded to your PM also.

Yes, you can save offline Tidal content to either internal memory or external (microSD Card) when using the Tidal app installed via APK. The setting can be found under my collection. The top right there is a gear icon, click on it to access settings. Under content, Download Destination (7th choice in the list). If you have a microSD card inserted, there will be a choice of internal or external memory.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #4,314 of 9,406
This is standard policy from any Consumer Electronics manufacturer. Warranty only applies to products purchased in that country, from an authorized dealer and by the original purchaser and warranties are not transferable. Our warranty policy has been discussed in these threads and is also the same policy as Sony, Onkyo/Pioneer, Samsung, LG and other CE manufacturers.

As our customer support team discussed with you, you can reach out to the Chinese dealer you purchased the unit from for an in-warranty repair, or we can process an out-of-warranty repair here in the US. We give the out of warranty option unlike most manufacturers who will not even process an out of warranty repair for something purchased out of country.

Also, discussed many times in these threads, if you purchased a player here in the US and wanted the Chinese language choice, we would change the language options for you free of charge.

Excuse me, but that's just a terrible-ass solution. When I buy a DAP for $3,000, I expect my service to be better than your average electronics company. None of the other brands (with the exception of the WM1Z) sells a portable electronics device as expensive as those from A&K. A better comparison would be something like Leica lenses (many of which are in the same price range as a SP1000), and Leica will cover shipping costs to Germany if you are still under their global warranty. Sony will allow for cross region repairs at discretion as well, and I've successfully done so for both their DAPs and Vaio's.

People travel. I'm in China at least twice a year and spend months in SEA and Europe on business trips. And this is probably true for a lot of people who own high-end portable DAPs. Are you telling me that I have to stick to one country to buy AK products because of some weird policy restriction that makes my warranty void for anything but the physical country I got it from?

Now I've been a A&K user for a while (AK300, AK320 + amp, SP1000) and this policy worries me about buying from A&K in the future. My SP1000 is from a US dealer, and if mine breaks on a long trip in Beijing or Hong Kong, am I just going to be out of luck and without a DAP for weeks, if I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars in shipping costs? That's pretty unfortunate.

If you want to punish importers that's fine, but not allowing discretion over policy for people who actually travel and live in more than one country (I know Tianxiao and he's a college student in the US) is a bad idea. If the likes of Leica, Zeiss and Hasselblad can offer repair exceptions, so can (and should) A&K.

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #4,315 of 9,406
From past posts, I am getting conflicting info. Please help... Can you specify Tidal to download off-line songs to external memory (SSD) on SP1000? Can you please provide instructions? Thanks in advance.

@SP1000_WOW I responded to your PM. It is working for me. Directions to setup are in the pm.

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #4,316 of 9,406
Warranties are what they are. You buy an item in a foreign country, no matter the price, that is where the warranty is. I used Nikon cameras and lenses when I was a shooter. All warranties on very expensive cameras and lenses were limited to the country of purchase. Back in the day people would buy from the PX in Japan and bring stuff here to America to sell it. Out of warranty. Gray market items most often are not covered. To complain about a JRiver product being expensive and it should be warrantied everywhere is just (pardon me) being naive. If you are traveling and your device breaks, yes, the warranty is where you bought it and that's is where you have to go to get it fixed (for free). Being unhappy about that is appropriate, but complaining about it and saying you are done with the manufacturer because of it is just childish. As stated above, most if not all DAP manufacturers are standardized in this manner. Most big-ticket items are the same in this regard. If you read the warranty info when you buy the item, it will clearly state where and how the item will be warrantied.

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #4,317 of 9,406
reality check again for those who buy things and feels they deserved a special treatment

C60F47D1-6BBA-454F-A48E-A910073B11F1.jpeg

:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #4,318 of 9,406
My phones (a Samsung) cost me $1000 and my TV (a LG) cost $3400.
Will I claim LG that why they sells products at f**king high price but does not cover an as good as Samsung's warranty policy?
So childish.
Price and warranty is a deal which is clear given before you buy any items on the world, since hundreds years ago.
P.S Who know how is Boeing warranty for their 787 ? :D

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #4,319 of 9,406
Also automotive manufacturers have the same policy, even Ferrari guarantee the warranty in the same country of purchase. If you buy a Ferrari in US the warranty won’t be valid if you bring the car to Canada.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #4,320 of 9,406
Also automotive manufacturers have the same policy, even Ferrari guarantee the warranty in the same country of purchase. If you buy a Ferrari in US the warranty won’t be valid if you bring the car to Canada.

That's it! I'm crossing Ferrari off my shopping list, this is ridiculous :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back