New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Sep 16, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #3,826 of 9,406
... might be time to buy another sp1000 again.
Did you have one before and looking to buy again? I like the smaller size of the new SP1000m but it doesn't have the connectivity for the amp - at least that's what I read...

Sep 16, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #3,827 of 9,406
Magic pairing: My A&K SP1000 drive the 64Audio U12T beautifully ! Now I almost listen to this combo more often than to my SP1000+ Shure KSE1500 !

IMG_5059.jpg

even more confortable with those hybrid ear-tips

IMG_5063.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #3,828 of 9,406
What will be the optimum method for decoding MQA material (Tidal speak = Masters) when using an AK SP1000M and the new software? Will it be done entirely in software or will the firmware modify the hardware to do it? Does anyone know?

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #3,829 of 9,406
Made the transition from Apple Music to Spotify in preparation for the upcoming FW update (love Spotify btw). I also thought my SP1000 was going to arrive whilst I was in England but it will arrive tomorrow! I leave the country Tuesday so I'll get to enjoy the DAP on my flight there :) I have about 50% of my library on my SD card so I'll be able to test it out nicely. Really looking forward to it.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #3,830 of 9,406
Made the transition from Apple Music to Spotify in preparation for the upcoming FW update (love Spotify btw). I also thought my SP1000 was going to arrive whilst I was in England but it will arrive tomorrow! I leave the country Tuesday so I'll get to enjoy the DAP on my flight there :) I have about 50% of my library on my SD card so I'll be able to test it out nicely. Really looking forward to it.
how come you choose Spotify over TIDAL?

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #3,831 of 9,406
how come you choose Spotify over TIDAL?

It's all about catalog and music preference Phil. If you are EDM-head, Spotify is the way to go :wink:

off-topic, you need to update your MoT from AS to AC, to match avatar and signature :D

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #3,833 of 9,406
Did you have one before and looking to buy again? I like the smaller size of the new SP1000m but it doesn't have the connectivity for the amp - at least that's what I read...

I had the cu, as liked that one better. not sure if the material for sp1000m will change things. however sp1000m does not have amp connection if they do release an amp

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #3,834 of 9,406
Got my SP1000 today. Absolutely loving the vocals and treble on it!

Probably a stupid question but here goes: Can I use my iPhone as a source and output it to my SP1000? The majority of my music is on Spotify and since the FW update isn't out yet I was wondering if I could use my iPhone to play the music but use the SP1000 to listen to it with?

Do I just need the Apple CCK (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...b55c968eb15d1620f9f0a736bbd3807f2fad896c34ed4) then the USB C cable provided with the SP1000?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,835 of 9,406
Got my SP1000 today. Absolutely loving the vocals and treble on it!

Probably a stupid question but here goes: Can I use my iPhone as a source and output it to my SP1000? The majority of my music is on Spotify and since the FW update isn't out yet I was wondering if I could use my iPhone to play the music but use the SP1000 to listen to it with?

Do I just need the Apple CCK (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...b55c968eb15d1620f9f0a736bbd3807f2fad896c34ed4) then the USB C cable provided with the SP1000?

So I tried this and I can’t get it to work. Trying to use my iPhone as the source and then listen through my SP1000. Is this not possible? I have the lightning to USB plugged in my iPhone then USB plugged into my SP1000.

When I plug it in it says “the attached accessory uses too much power.”

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #3,836 of 9,406
So I tried this and I can’t get it to work. Trying to use my iPhone as the source and then listen through my SP1000. Is this not possible? I have the lightning to USB plugged in my iPhone then USB plugged into my SP1000.

When I plug it in it says “the attached accessory uses too much power.”

Any recommendations? Thanks.
You can use your iPhone as a source for the SP1000 by using the AK Connect app that is available in the Apple App store. You must be on the same Wi-Fi network to use it. You will only be able to play back audio tracks that are stored on the iPhone, you will not be able to play back streaming services through AK Connect.

I do know there are a few people that have been able to connect their iPhone to our players and use our players as a USB DAC. Did you try switching the SP1000 to USB DAC mode when connected to the iPhone?

I am an Android person. I will ask a few people in the office who use iPhones and see if they are able to do what you are looking to do.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #3,837 of 9,406
You can use your iPhone as a source for the SP1000 by using the AK Connect app that is available in the Apple App store. You must be on the same Wi-Fi network to use it. You will only be able to play back audio tracks that are stored on the iPhone, you will not be able to play back streaming services through AK Connect.

I do know there are a few people that have been able to connect their iPhone to our players and use our players as a USB DAC. Did you try switching the SP1000 to USB DAC mode when connected to the iPhone?

I am an Android person. I will ask a few people in the office who use iPhones and see if they are able to do what you are looking to do.

Oh okay well unfortunately all my music would have to be played through Spotify from my iPhone so I don’t think AK Connect would work for me.

Please let me know if you hear anything else on how to get this to work, my flight is this evening and it’s 10 hours long! Lol. I was under the impression I could just use the SP1000 as a USB DAC from my iPhone and play my Spotify offline from my iPhone.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #3,838 of 9,406
@JasonNYC never mind, I got it to work! Just plugged in the cord the same way and had the USB option open on my SP1000, repeatedly tapped USB DAC mode as I plugged it in and that seemed to do the trick and bypass the too much power message on my iphone, lol.

Just to clarify if I wasn’t spamming the USB DAC mode on the SP1000 then my iPhone was giving me the too much power error which made it fail to connect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back