New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Sep 8, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #3,736 of 9,406
Hi cj3209,

Well the SP1000 is already too big too fit in a normal trouser pocket, so while they are at it why not offer this possibility? I personaly have been waiting for this amp.

BTW, here is the solution I have found to carry the SP1000 at my belt: I use a super robust belt pouch (military grade, meant for ammos!) to carry my SP1000 with me, I can put other stuff in it like cables, I even store my SP1000 in a Peli 1040 and the Peli 1040 fits in the pouch with a lot of room remaining, here 2 pics:

(our dog is allowed in our bed in the morning)

Here amazon links :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MYANZG

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005MYANZG

Have a nice week end and enjoy your music,
bidn

Hi Bidn, your solution for carrying the spk looks very promising, guess I will be looking forward to getting one of those. But before that, there are several questions that I would like to ask before actually doing that.

When you put spk into that pelican case, how well does it fit? Is there space to wiggle, or everything is close and tight? If there is space for spk to wiggle in the case, will spk constantly bump into the case? I'm really concerned about this part since, as we all know, it is an spk, and I wish not to test its durability in this fashion.

Besides, if I am not mistaken, you will hang this pouch onto your belt. Would you say that this whole entire set is within the weight range that won't damage your belt? Since I don't have one of those military styles extremely durable heavy duty tactical belts, but only ordinary leather belts.

That all I'll have to ask, thank you and wish you'll have a nice day.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,737 of 9,406
So your dog carries the pouch around? :) Good boy!

VanNuys makes both fabric and leather cases that you can carry on your belt. And they accommodate the SP leather case as well. So two layers of protection. Superb cases, although a bit pricey.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VanNuys-Ve...830149&hash=item25f5c5c148:g:7QwAAOSwSw5a8NPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carrying-C...543001?hash=item3d5d31b219:g:e5gAAOSwHG9armJ7

Although the leather one is cheaper if you buy direct (a bit more complicated unless you live in Asia). I carry the player around with no issues. My 240SS fit in my shirt pocket, but the big boy? Nope.

These carrying cases do look fabulous, I would really like to have one of those if AK did not just announce the release of an spk amp in this winter.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #3,739 of 9,406
Hi Bidn, your solution for carrying the spk looks very promising, guess I will be looking forward to getting one of those. But before that, there are several questions that I would like to ask before actually doing that.

When you put spk into that pelican case, how well does it fit? Is there space to wiggle, or everything is close and tight? If there is space for spk to wiggle in the case, will spk constantly bump into the case? I'm really concerned about this part since, as we all know, it is an spk, and I wish not to test its durability in this fashion.

Besides, if I am not mistaken, you will hang this pouch onto your belt. Would you say that this whole entire set is within the weight range that won't damage your belt? Since I don't have one of those military styles extremely durable heavy duty tactical belts, but only ordinary leather belts.

That all I'll have to ask, thank you and wish you'll have a nice day.

Hi Obscene0324,

You are quite insightful, the SP1000 does not fit tightly in the Pelican 1040, so I use one of those transparent plastic bubble sheep to wrap the SP1000. There is not much clearance but the flexible plastic bubble sheet gets compressed without being damaged when I close the Pelican case. The SP1000 is so solid that I don't think that it would be damaged, (wiggling would rather destroy the inner foam of the Pelican case), but I don't like the idea that it would not fit tight.

I use a normal leather belt, never noticed an issue.

I actually use daily another such pouch where I put my big leather wallet, my Galaxy Note (currently version 9 with 512 GB base storage) and miscellaneous stuff I usually carry with me. So my stuff doesn't make holes in my pockets like in the past nor get lost. I have taken this habit many years ago in the nineties, at the time I was living downtown in a big European city plagued by criminality (thefts, etc.), I was living in a flat and my neighbours were a policeman and a "policewoman", and they explained to me that the safest way for carrying my valuable belonging was in a pouch at the belt. Then I tried many different kinds (leather pouches for purses, CD-player carrying pouches, etc.), but none would last long nor would protect well against water in case of heavy rain. Until I discovered through amazon these German-made military pouches.
So I will always have on my right side such a pouch (same size) with my personal belonging. This is my second one, the first one lasted I think more than 5 years until a small hole appeared at the bottom.
When I walk with my dog, I put on the left side a smaller similar pouch with treats, plastic poo-bags, etc.
When I want to take the SP1000 along, I use the pouch showed on the pics on my left side.

What is nice about this kind of pouches is that the straps through which the belt passes extend along all the length of the pouch. I find this very handy because sometimes I have to sit (e.g. in a car) in a tight manner, the pouch will no be in the way, as it can raise due to these elongated straps and just rest on the chair or whatever.

What is also nice about these pouches is that they are cheap and you are not stuck with a single purpose (like for a single very specific device) but can use them for whatever you may want.

Wishing you too a nice day,
bidn

Additions, explaining a few more things:

- sometimes I need to dress up for my work (suit, tie), on these days don't carry any pouch but dispatch my wallet, smartphone, etc. across various pockets

- I don't listen to the SP1000 while moving (using instead Bluetooth headphones or receiver, at home, during chores). I use the pouch + Peli 1040 when I take the SP1000 with me to work, and will unpack this there and put the SP1000 on my desk. If I need to leave for a longer time (lunch), etc.), I can take them again with me in the pouch instead of leaving behind the SP1000 and expensive IEMs unattended in my room at work.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #3,740 of 9,406
Hi Obscene0324,

You are quite insightful, the SP1000 does not fit tightly in the Pelican 1040, so I use one of those transparent plastic bubble sheep to wrap the SP1000. There is not much clearance but the flexible plastic bubble sheet gets compressed without being damaged when I close the Pelican case. The SP1000 is so solid that I don't think that it would be damaged, (wiggling would rather destroy the inner foam of the Pelican case), but I don't like the idea that it would not fit tight.

I use a normal leather belt, never noticed an issue.

I actually use daily another such pouch where I put my big leather wallet, my Galaxy Note (currently version 9 with 512 GB base storage) and miscellaneous stuff I usually carry with me. So my stuff doesn't make holes in my pockets like in the past nor get lost. I have taken this habit many years ago in the nineties, at the time I was living downtown in a big European city plagued by criminality (thefts, etc.), I was living in a flat and my neighbours were a policeman and a "policewoman", and they explained to me that the safest way for carrying my valuable belonging was in a pouch at the belt. Then I tried many different kinds (leather pouches for purses, CD-player carrying pouches, etc.), but none would last long nor would protect well against water in case of heavy rain. Until I discovered through amazon these German-made military pouches.
So I will always have on my right side such a pouch (same size) with my personal belonging. This is my second one, the first one lasted I think more than 5 years until a small hole appeared at the bottom.
When I walk with my dog, I put on the left side a smaller similar pouch with treats, plastic poo-bags, etc.
When I want to take the SP1000 along, I use the pouch showed on the pics on my left side.

What is nice about this kind of pouches is that the straps through which the belt passes extend along all the length of the pouch. I find this very handy because sometimes I have to sit (e.g. in a car) in a tight manner, the pouch will no be in the way, as it can raise due to these elongated straps and just rest on the chair or whatever.

What is also nice about these pouches is that they are cheap and you are not stuck with a single purpose (like for a single very specific device) but can use them for whatever you may want.

Wishing you too a nice day,
bidn

Additions, explaining a few more things:

- sometimes I need to dress up for my work (suit, tie), on these days don't carry any pouch but dispatch my wallet, smartphone, etc. across various pockets

- I don't listen to the SP1000 while moving (using instead Bluetooth headphones or receiver, at home, during chores). I use the pouch + Peli 1040 when I take the SP1000 with me to work, and will unpack this there and put the SP1000 on my desk. If I need to leave for a longer time (lunch), etc.), I can take them again with me in the pouch instead of leaving behind the SP1000 and expensive IEMs unattended in my room at work.

Bidn, thank you very much for the help! That definitely a lot that I could learn from! Think I'll follow your experience and have a try of those pouches :thumbsup:

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #3,743 of 9,406
If anyone is looking to sell their SP1000 send me a PM :) I’ll be joining the AK gang!
Don't mean to hijack this SP1000 thread but I'm curious why you want to trade the DX200Ti for the SP1000? My SP1000 is in the shop but from memory, the DX200Ti w/Amp 1Ti sounded on par with the SP1000.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #3,745 of 9,406
Better battery life mainly, also just curiosity of how the SP1000 sounds.
The UI is superior and smoother than the DX200Ti as well.

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #3,747 of 9,406
Better battery life mainly, also just curiosity of how the SP1000 sounds.

Now that AK has at least upgraded to supporting android APK, I'll be curious to know what your opinion is about that, compared to AMP1 Ti but also AMP8 :)

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #3,749 of 9,406
@JasonNYC
Any word on Roon support for SP 1000?
One of the reasons I purchased SP1000 was AK Connect feature. After the addition of streaming services and potential tidal offline(fingers crossed) feature only Roon support is left.
Many SP 1000 owners also have dedicated Desktop setup with Roon.
SP 1000 with its octacore processor should easily run Roon imo.
This will make AK devices an almost complete package.

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #3,750 of 9,406
@JasonNYC
Any word on Roon support for SP 1000?
One of the reasons I purchased SP1000 was AK Connect feature. After the addition of streaming services and potential tidal offline(fingers crossed) feature only Roon support is left.
Many SP 1000 owners also have dedicated Desktop setup with Roon.
SP 1000 with its octacore processor should easily run Roon imo.
This will make AK devices an almost complete package.
Do not have anything official on Roon support other than it has been requested a number of times by users and we are looking into supporting it in a future firmware update. No ETA on when that will happen, but it is definitely on our radar.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back