New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Dec 26, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,536 of 9,406
yes i like it, i guess the reason is that it is more powerful. Layla II with SP1000 is just heaven. i can assure you that Layla II is the best IEM.. been 2 years since its release ? or more? just perfect!!!! (You got to have a decent recording otherwise of course Layla fail)
I'm also enjoying SP1000Cu+Layla2 combo. My bass setting is 2 o'clock. I need a bit exaggerated bass as I'm using this during my long commute from NJ to NYC.

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #2,537 of 9,406
I'm also enjoying SP1000Cu+Layla2 combo. My bass setting is 2 o'clock. I need a bit exaggerated bass as I'm using this during my long commute from NJ to NYC.
Hi Giraku, I would like to know your comparison between SP1000Cu + Layla II vs Hugo2 + Lalay II.
Now I have Hugo2 but I'm looking for a better portable solution for my business trips.
Thank you!

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #2,538 of 9,406
Though I am enjoying my SP1000 I do find for some reason it struggles to pick up a WiFi signal.

Yet my AK380 was fine in same circumstances.
I know SP1000 is supposed to have omni directional aerial but doesn't work well with my router unless I stand next to it.

Dec 28, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #2,539 of 9,406
Though I am enjoying my SP1000 I do find for some reason it struggles to pick up a WiFi signal.

Yet my AK380 was fine in same circumstances.
I know SP1000 is supposed to have omni directional aerial but doesn't work well with my router unless I stand next to it.

Make sure you have the latest firmware. I had wifi connectivity issues early on, but in the past 3-4 months it's fine so I think one of the firmware updates must have improved wifi performance. In my case it wasn't signal strength issue, but some type of initial connection problem.

Dec 28, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,541 of 9,406
Hi Giraku, I would like to know your comparison between SP1000Cu + Layla II vs Hugo2 + Lalay II.
Now I have Hugo2 but I'm looking for a better portable solution for my business trips.
Thank you!

Just my 2 cents on business travel. Assuming you want to listen on flights, I have pretty much given up on "end game" for planes. The reason is that there is far too much external noise (even in first class) to create an adequate listening environment where something like a Hugo 2 or SP1000 is audibly different. I've even tried using my Noble Katanas with my Sony noise cancelling headphones slipped over the Katanas to further isolate noise. The math is probably something like -50 dB noise reduction, but still, not ideal listening environment to notice the nuances of high end gear. Now if you have extended time in your hotel room, then it may be worth it. In my case I am more eager to get a good nights rest at the end of each business day.

What is 100% noticeable is how much or little gear I need to pack in my carry on bag along with chargers, cables, etc. At the moment, I am pretty satisfied using my Sony MDR-1000X MKII with AAC codec from my iPhone for business travel. I use my SP1000 more around the house and as a compact high end system for my office.

Dec 28, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #2,542 of 9,406
Just tried the sp1000 ss a few days ago, it's crazy
Best ever, it is so special, there's nothing else can compare with it

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am very picky with the source dap and even with wim1z I wasn't satisfied at all but
sp1000 I'd say this is the best. I like what I am hearing through this, so rich and elegant. glad AK could engineer this device.

Dec 28, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,544 of 9,406
I smile every time I listen to it. Worth every penny. I don't know how much difference there is between the SS and the CU, but, for me, I'm finally where I want to be with a source DAP.
+ non oxydation Issus contraints : we really made the best choice with the SS !!!!

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,545 of 9,406
The SQ of my SP1000 (Cu) is top! :)

The only unavoidable downside I have experienced is its weight and size for using it in bed (when listening in bed, especially with headphones,
the back of my head must lie on the bed, so I am laying on my back, so I need to hold a DAP above my breast, which is not so ideal when it is heavy),
however the weight is unavoidable given its superb integrated amp and the size is unavoidable given its superb touchscreen.
I have found a solution which I am very happy to use, an ideal combination for the SP 1000:
the small and light AK RM01 remote (connected over bluetooth), so nice to tune the volume with that big wheel :), or move forth and back tracks.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,546 of 9,406
+ non oxydation Issus contraints : we really made the best choice with the SS !!!!
As hearing by my ears Ss version is good at everything but fullness. It sounds not as full as AK120ii does. So still confuse how about Cu, which I read in this room that will sound fuller and a bit less shining comparing to ss. Not yet have a chance to listen Cu

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,547 of 9,406
The SS or CU version is a question of taste i came from a 1Z that is organic and thick sound that i like very much if i bought the SS version i will be in shock....the Cu version is much better for my taste, it has the organic taste of the 1Z( with 1.2 firmware never heard the 2.0) but more detailed sound...i love it

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,548 of 9,406
The SS or CU version is a question of taste i came from a 1Z that is organic and thick sound that i like very much if i bought the SS version i will be in shock....the Cu version is much better for my taste, it has the organic taste of the 1Z( with 1.2 firmware never heard the 2.0) but more detailed sound...i love it

I use ss version on Shure kse1500 (electrostat) it makes me aware with very high detail level and speed, transparent so that I feel some blurry of some hiend speaker sets. But, fullness is something ss doesnt make me happy.
I like a sound same from Ak120ii BUT at a level of sp1000 ss version.
I tell to myself ss wont be discoloring as Cu :D
I do belive Cu has much better mid range than ss (from comments here in this thread)

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,549 of 9,406
I use ss version on Shure kse1500 (electrostat) it makes me aware with very high detail level and speed, transparent so that I feel some blurry of some hiend speaker sets. But, fullness is something ss doesnt make me happy.
I like a sound same from Ak120ii BUT at a level of sp1000 ss version.
I tell to myself ss wont be discoloring as Cu :D
I do belive Cu has much better mid range than ss (from comments here in this thread)

What cable are you using for connecting the KSE1500 to the SP1000?

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2,550 of 9,406
Thank you!
Well, I'm very happy with both combos. I would say Hugo 2 is more neutral while SP1000Cu adds a splash of warmth sounding a bit more organic. But the difference is small, and it is totally up to your taste.
Now as for portability, obviously SP1000Cu wins. But if you are thinking about listening in your hotel room, I would take both so that you can enjoy both combos (SP1000Cu becomes a music transport when using Hugo 2).
During my daily commute (1.5 hours from NJ to NYC), I mostly use SP1000Cu with either Layla 2 or Andromeda. Sometimes, I use X7mk2/AM5 + RE2000, which is also a great combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back