New to the Headphone world -- Need ones under $120
Jan 1, 2012 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

xtrashine

New Head-Fier
Alright. First post. Lets try not to embarrass myself 
tongue_smile.gif

So I'm currently in highschool. I usually ride the bus home. Therefore to pass time I listen to music. I'm sick and tired of the Ipod earbuds. They always fall out my ear and I have to shove them down my ear to get them to stay (which hurts!). Also, after doing research, I've discovered that their audio isn't as good as I once thought. That realization came after I began gaming with headsets. 

The headset I want has to be:

Good for hip hop/dubstep
Sort of stylish (sorry I cannot like the Koss PortaPros because of that look)
Portable
Somewhat durable. I don't plan on stuffing it on my bookbag but accidents happen you know.
Nicely isolated / Low sound leakage

So the headsets I've been looking at are the 

Koss DJ100
Creative Aurvana Live!
Sony MDR XB500
Klipsch Image ONE
Sennheiser HD201/202

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 18
KRK KNS 8400 have been getting good reviews.
I liked the sound of my CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), before i stepped on them.

I do not like the sound of the Sony XB500s.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 18
Hey I was in the same position as you about 1 month ago. By now, I am in audio heaven :D. I am also in high school by the way.  :wink:. I suggest the Brainwavz HM5 if you can find the... the Creative Aurvana Live is very good as well, along with the KRK KNS6400 or 8400. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 18
thanks for the suggestions + opinions!

the krk looks pretty good and i'll definitely consider it as well. i couldn't find the hm5 on amazon though. i did see the hm3. same thing?

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 18
I  know you said under $120, but if you are here in the U.S, moving up your budget slightly more can get you a forum favorite, the TF10's. Just a thought to consider. They are not headsets, but they are awesome.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions + opinions!

the krk looks pretty good and i'll definitely consider it as well. i couldn't find the hm5 on amazon though. i did see the hm3. same thing?

The HM3 is very different lol. BUT theres some wierd agreement between 2 companyies and the Fischer Audio FA-003  is the same thing as the HM5. The fa-003 is also quite hard to find though :/  This guys selling it on head fi though! http://www.head-fi.org/t/587503/fischer-audio-fa-003 heres another place to buy it, if you so chose ;D http://mp4nation.net/catalog/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones-p-663.html?zenid=cf8edf83c4abd553a55c555a8ebd610f

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 18
Right now it's really between the Sennheiser HD428, the CAL!, and maybe the used KRKs/HM5s

I'm really leaning on the CAL! based on the opinions though.

To be honest I think the CAL is the best of the bunch, but for the type of music you listen to, you will want lots of bass, which the HD428 brings. Plus it looks the coolest :p. If it were me though, I would pick the CAL because I don't listen to dub or hip hop.

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 18
Yeah I actually saw a thread on here comparing the two. (I was googling for more reviews of the CAL!) Apparently the HD428s have better bass definition. 

So my decision is made! Sennheiser HD428s it is. This works out better anyways. The local Best Buy has them in stock so I can pick them up tomorrow. Thanks

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 18
Yeah I actually saw a thread on here comparing the two. (I was googling for more reviews of the CAL!) Apparently the HD428s have better bass definition. 

So my decision is made! Sennheiser HD428s it is. This works out better anyways. The local Best Buy has them in stock so I can pick them up tomorrow. Thanks

Make sure to tell us how you like them!!! Burn them in first though, of course :wink:

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 18
Well what a fail. Just found out that the HD428s have a monstrous cord which makes portable use pretty difficult.

So now I'm looking at the CAL! again and the HD419. 

Two questions:

Would the Bass Boost EQ on my iPod put the CAL! into the same category as the Sennheisers?
Is the punchy bass of the HD419s good for hip hop/dubstep?

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 18
Just so you know, I have never heard either of them. But from reading reviews apparently the 419 really doesnt have much bass and the sound is quite muddy. The CAL is a much better option and from these reviews www.head-fi.org/products/creative-aurvana-live-headphones#reviews the isnt punchy, but very good and doesnt distort the rest of the sound.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #14 of 18
The CAL is interesting due to the biocellulose diaphagm. i haven't heard it yet. The Sony MDR-V6($65) is very durable and is a professional headphone(as the 7506 model($99) it is used extensively in recording studios, radio stations, and movie and tv production) It's sound is very neutral though, and not an extra bass headphone. Extra bass headphones typically have a recessed midrange. Often this can be corrected somewhat  with equalization. If you are not a basshead, then choose a good neutral headphone, and boost the bass a bit with your player's equilizer if you want. If you want extreme bass, then get an extra bass headphone. I bought my first extra bass headphone the JVC HAS600($30) recently. It is fun at times, however I wouldn't want it as my only headphone. I have had the Sony V6 for 23 years! The next step up from the V6 if you want more midrange detail is the Sony V900HD($155) or Sennheiser HD380 pro($145).

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #15 of 18
I have the Sony MDR-7506 and while it's a pretty good sounding headphone for the price, the lower treble has a bump that makes it slightly sibilant on some tracks. Recently I purchased the CAL and out of the box it was way too bassy and not enough treble energy. I was kinda bummed because I really like the looks and the comfort of the CAL, so I decided to take it apart to see if I could apply some of the mods listed in some other threads. With a mild Dynamat treatment and the ear cups filled (and I mean stuffed) with 4 cotton balls the bass tightened up and the treble became more forward. A little foam around the edges inside the ear pads also helped the sound signature. It's now my favorite full size headphones and the sound is nearly identical to my GR07 which I love and adore. For $60 bucks it's the best value in headphones IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back