New to the forum, want to know a good cheap over ear headphones and more.
Nov 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

delta777

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have a old mp3 player that I use for the gym, it's pretty sucky but it works, however I need headphones and possibly a better mp3 player.

I sent yesterday browsing the forum and I think I need to understand a couple things.

1. Over ear = closed, no noise gets out to people around you, however size is a factor and not likely portable.
2. On ear = open and people can hear you but size is smaller and more portable.
3. I don't care for earbuds too much, I've had most cheap skullcandys but since I needed a pair I bought a pair of ep-630's from dell for 20 bucks.

I do however need good headphones and I like these but it's open.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR-60i-Padded-Headphones/dp/B0006DPMU4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289576822&sr=8-2

So what headphones do you advise for under 80 that's closed?

Also, what earbuds do you advise if the ep-630's don't pan out? I need one with a case since I lose earbuds quite often.

And I'll be picking up a ipod touch and getting a amp for it as well soon.

Thanks and this is a nice forum.

PS. I prefer to stay under 100 for each.

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 10
Well Over the ear is how we wear certain IEM'S, ( In Ear Monitors) also helps with cable noise.

On ear i would assume your meaning how ear buds/Full size are worn,which due to seal issues sound could possibly be heard by others.

Recommendations for a new player. My opinion would be the Sansa Clip+, or the Fuze made by Sandisk.IMO the Sound Quality is Superior to any Ipod especially rockboxed.
Now when it comes for the Phones, that's tough because theirs so many under $100 that sound tremendous but it comes down to what type of sound your looking for.

Others will chime in to help.

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
1. Over ear = closed, no noise gets out to people around you, however size is a factor and not likely portable.
2. On ear = open and people can hear you but size is smaller and more portable.
3. I don't care for earbuds too much, I've had most cheap skullcandys but since I needed a pair I bought a pair of ep-630's from dell for 20 bucks.

Welcome to Head-Fi!

Over ear does not necessarily mean closed. It simply means the way the headphones sit on your ears. Over ears, or circumaural, cans can be either open or closed.

On ear is called supra aural. Like 'over ear' cans there are both closed and open designs (ex: Sennheiser HD25 and Grado respectively).

What kind of music do you listen to? What do you want from your sound (bass, neutral, mids, highs, etc)?

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 10
I'd probably check out the Denon D1001 (or Creative Aurvana Live, which is a rebranded D1001) or possibly an M50 or Audio Technica ES7. I haven't heard the D1001 or ES7 though it would be worth reading up on.

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I have the

Sansa c200

How are those Dr Dre Headphones?

Beats by Dr. Dre should be a sound choice (pun intented), they look cool and able to deliver decent SQ but they are priced over the $100 mark : /

Quote:

Also, what earbuds do you advise if the ep-630's don't pan out? I need one with a case since I lose earbuds quite often.

And I'll be picking up a ipod touch and getting a amp for it as well soon.

Thanks and this is a nice forum.

PS. I prefer to stay under 100 for each.

you could try the RE0 iem, they the perfect all rounder for under $100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back