New to the forum: just saying hi!!!!
Feb 27, 2006 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kunuggs

100+ Head-Fier
I've been fishing around here for a little while (I hate people who don't know how to use the search function, so no need to remind me
biggrin.gif
). I am pretty uptight when it comes to buying hi-fi gear (or any other semi-expensive thing) and will research the crap out of it before making any hasty decisions.

I've been an obsessive music junkie since I was little (starting getting into "good" music when I was 10 or so), and I have a VERY large music library that needs to be given some respect that those s****y ipod buds just ain't givin'. Actually, I was just going to wait for my tax return to come in a drop atleast 100 or so on my first cans, but I lost my ipod buds and have had to resort to an old pair of sony mdr-v150's that I don't even remember buying but found when I was ransacking my apartment for the ibuds. These mdr-v150's suck SOOOOOOO bad. So, instead of waiting for the tax return, I'm just gonna get some cheapies to hold me off (and save my ears from these mdr-150's)

Anyways, so what I decided is that since I have no idea what KIND I want, is to just get one of each kind and will eventually find a pair that make me look like this
k1000smile.gif
. So, after research here and other places, I decided to get the Koss KSC-75 (used mostly for commute to and from campus and at the gym) for 13.99 from amazon, the Sennheiser HD 201 (used mostly at most where long term comfort comes into play b/c of extended periods of listening) for 17.99 from amazon, and the creative ep-630's (which will be used when biking [on paved trails, not on the roads, of course] and when in the library [stupid freshman talk too much when I'm trying to study] ) for 25.64 from amazon.com

This comes to only 57.62. I figure I can use these 3 phones to a) decide which sound characteristics are indespensible for me in terms of future, higher end cans (which are inevitable considering how many time you loonies change your mind
biggrin.gif
) and b) decide which type of can I prefer most for different situations (closed, over ear, iem, etc.) Then, as soon as I get my tax return back I can start wasting some real dough. Of course, I will give a full review of all 3 as soon as they are burned in and I've had atleast a week or two with them.

What do ya think? That was way too long winded for my first post. Sorry for the novel
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 23
Run!!!!!!!!!

RUN VERY FAST AWAY FROM HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon10.gif

Welcome to the forum/

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 23
Welcome to head-fi, and I am not sorry about your wallet.
Since no one is sorry for mine.

I came here, planned to get HD201s and then get away as fast as I can, now I have MS-1s, and E4s being shipped to my house right now.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 23
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet (our standard greeting). It sounds like you're on the right track. You can't go wrong with the Koss KSC-75's. I have not heard the HD 201's, but a lot of folks have good things to say about them.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 23
IMHO you made some good entry level choices, that cover a lot of ground.

Just keep listening to the tunes... and go from there. That's all that matters.

Standard greeting... WTTFASAYW

Garrett

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 23
[size=small]I held off on buying lower priced headphones. My first set was a pair of Sennheiser HD-497's for around $60. They made me go
eggosmile.gif
but I also knew there was something better. Then I found this place. After a lot of research I ended up getting a pair of Allesandro MS-1's. I didn't get a cheaper pair of headphones until I bought a pair of KSC-75's right after buying some Sennheiser HD-580's. That's what I'd recommend, buy something like the MS-1's right off the bat. I have numerous old pairs of cheapos I had accumulated over the years and once I got a real pair the cheapos ended up in the trash.[/size]

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 23
Hi! And welcome to head-fi... Thats a pretty rational decision you are making here! I think it's a good idea...since every time you listen to some headphones you make a new experience. For my part, I just bought the ones the more experienced head-fiers are recommending, always my budget on my mind. I.e. I had the KSC75 and I think the sound is awesome...but I didn't like the clip-on. So I sold them... and so on and on.... Follow your taste and your musical instinct and you will be happy...so will be your wallet NOT

Klaus

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO you made some good entry level choices, that cover a lot of ground.

Just keep listening to the tunes... and go from there. That's all that matters.

Ditto!

And again...Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunuggs
I've been fishing around here for a little while (I hate people who don't know how to use the search function, so no need to remind me
biggrin.gif
). I am pretty uptight when it comes to buying hi-fi gear (or any other semi-expensive thing) and will research the crap out of it before making any hasty decisions.

I've been an obsessive music junkie since I was little (starting getting into "good" music when I was 10 or so), and I have a VERY large music library that needs to be given some respect that those s****y ipod buds just ain't givin'. Actually, I was just going to wait for my tax return to come in a drop atleast 100 or so on my first cans, but I lost my ipod buds and have had to resort to an old pair of sony mdr-v150's that I don't even remember buying but found when I was ransacking my apartment for the ibuds. These mdr-v150's suck SOOOOOOO bad. So, instead of waiting for the tax return, I'm just gonna get some cheapies to hold me off (and save my ears from these mdr-150's)

Anyways, so what I decided is that since I have no idea what KIND I want, is to just get one of each kind and will eventually find a pair that make me look like this
k1000smile.gif
. So, after research here and other places, I decided to get the Koss KSC-75 (used mostly for commute to and from campus and at the gym) for 13.99 from amazon, the Sennheiser HD 201 (used mostly at most where long term comfort comes into play b/c of extended periods of listening) for 17.99 from amazon, and the creative ep-630's (which will be used when biking [on paved trails, not on the roads, of course] and when in the library [stupid freshman talk too much when I'm trying to study] ) for 25.64 from amazon.com

This comes to only 57.62. I figure I can use these 3 phones to a) decide which sound characteristics are indespensible for me in terms of future, higher end cans (which are inevitable considering how many time you loonies change your mind
biggrin.gif
) and b) decide which type of can I prefer most for different situations (closed, over ear, iem, etc.) Then, as soon as I get my tax return back I can start wasting some real dough. Of course, I will give a full review of all 3 as soon as they are burned in and I've had atleast a week or two with them.

What do ya think? That was way too long winded for my first post. Sorry for the novel
biggrin.gif

Aloha!!
I look foward to your reviews . I like details , most reviews are too short and not specific enough . I like to know everything about a product before I buy it.....
basshead.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 23
icon10.gif
You will soon be selling your organs to buy multiple headphone amplifiers, headphones, and IC cables made from exotic and expensive materials. Like most of us you will never be satisfied and always looking for just a little better sound. Don't sell your ears to finance this evil hobby. You'll be needing them.

Seriously, welcome aboard.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 23
should put that on in the heading somewhere, it might save a few lives ........

WTTFASAYW

really.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 23
Welcome! Wish you the best and enjoy your R-10s, K1000s, Staxs. Yeah you have the Koss headphones now ... but later ... poor guy.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 23
Welcome to Head-Fi...great people, great discussions, absolutely wonderful source of opinions and guidance. One of the best places a music-junkie could find. However, believe the warning that is explicit in the standard greeting "Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!" Abandon All Hope All Ye That Enter Here!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back