New to site, kinda new to headphones, kinda
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jr4jc

100+ Head-Fier
hello I am JR which is “jr” not junior
My grandfather a long time ago got me into music
He had a pair of Olson headphones and when we would visit I’d bring a handful of albums and sit listening to them with his headphones
Since then I went to a college that had a recording engineering course but not a degree this was all analog but it was great. Along the way I learned to tune pianos. I moved to Nashville to be a recording engineer, I did it for six months freelance and did not enjoy it in Nashville like I did in Houston. My children were little I needed a job so life moved on . I went to work at Gibson building acoustic guitars which was pretty cool. Did sound for a couple friends bands and a couple years later went to nursing school and now have been an RN for 30 years. A couple years ago I got etymotic earbuds Enjoyed them very much used them when running and mowing the lawn. year and a half ago I got a nice stereo Marantz sr5011 with Rel sub and bw685 speakers. In my entertainment room I have a massage chair that is way by the left speaker so much so I decided to get a nice pair of headphones. While researching I found this website and found it very helpful and since I’m new to good headphones I have joined. So my recent dilemma was my hi-fi store guy had a Hifiman HE 400 S that he was closing out and a display Audeze lcd-x he let me take both for the weekend to compare. the hi-fi man is significantly cheaper and I like it a lot but I like the audeze just a little better so I bought the audeze’s.
He already had CardA Balanced cable On them and they sound fantastic. So my new dilemma is I am about 8 feet away from my Marantz SR 5011 so do I buy 10 feet of Carda extension or a small amp that can sit next to me. The Marantz has a pretty good headphone amp in it.
Over the years I have had a pair of Sennheiser I think it was 300 or something like that and a pair of Sony decent <$100 headphones
But this is my first venture into really nice headphones with the exception of my grandfather’s so long ago. I do wonder how they would’ve compared to today’s because I remember them having clarity and depth and a greatsoundstage they were amazing.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 22
Not always, but generally, headphone outputs from speaker amps or receivers is kind of garbage. I've personally tested this with a modern Onkyo and Marantz receiver, both of which sounded subpar compared to discrete headphone amps.
Second, I'm not in on the cable religion.

For those reasons, I'd recommend buying a discrete amp. With my LCD2C, I enjoyed the Violectric V200, a MAC 1900 receiver (an exception to the rule), but even something like a Lake People G103 or Vali 2 can sound better than a receiver.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 22
Welcome and sorry about the wallet
If there isn't anything like cats , dogs or small children to get tangled in the cable an extension is good
The Audeze is a fine headphone and you could spend a great deal in terms of amps and dacs before you reached its limits

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 22
My Hifiman guy wants to sell me a moon headphone amp $1500ish
I’m not doing that now but instead of buying and upgrading I want to buy once
So I’m considering taking them to stores and auditioning amps
I am open to suggestions
Thanks for replies and help
Ps my wife helped decide on these
I knew I loved their sound
She said it very well;
I had her listen to; queen’s crazy little thing called love then Fleetwood mac’s Never going back again
After listening to both she said the Audeze lcd-x were more detailed on queen and she liked that and were smoother on Fleetwood Mac and she liked that
That’s my impression of these is they can be detailed and smooth
Give me some headphone amp suggestions w or without dac;

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 22
are you running the headphones balanced?

If not Lyr 3 for under 600, CTH under 250, Aune x7s under 200, Vali 2 under 180, Magni 3 under for 100 and under would be my recommendations. Depends on how much power and warmth you want, price aside.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 22
Where could I hear these side by side??
The hifi store where I got these has 1 oppo and 1 moon headphone amp and that’s all???
Magnolia at Best Buy???

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 22
Where could I hear these side by side??
The hifi store where I got these has 1 oppo and 1 moon headphone amp and that’s all???
Magnolia at Best Buy???
Thats a hard thing. Here in California, we can go to Schiit's brick and mortar store. Not Best Buy though. Any head fi or headphone meetups in your area? Or other headfiers might have one to let you try it.

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 22
Ok here’s where I’m at
I bought the lcd-x, dealer had $600 Cardas best cable on them and couldn’t find the stock cables so he said take them for now
We decided I’d get the stock wires and Cardas basic cable 10’ long so it could reach My Marantz receiver ( it was that or I’d get a portable dac/amp) well I wasn’t nuts about the sound of the lcd-x’s on the Marantz so after a couple days I called him and said cancel the long Cardas cable, it’s nonsense to use a very good cable to go to an average source.
So I’ve ordered a chord mojo I now have the stock wires that come w the Audeze, do I need an upgrade usb to micro usb cable??? Which will connect to an Apple lightning to photo female usb?? While I’m still using the stock headphone wires???
It really confuses me that some recommend improving the usb to micro usb cable while still using the same Apple lightning...how can improving the second half of an 8” total wire length while not changing the 1st half and it make a difference
I ask because when the mojo gets here I want hear it right away

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 22
It really confuses me that some recommend improving the usb to micro usb cable while still using the same Apple lightning...how can improving the second half of an 8” total wire length while not changing the 1st half and it make a difference
Exactly! Some of the stuff you read can be facepalm worthy.
And welcome to the forum!

It does sound like you've got everything pretty well planned. I'm no expert and I've only been dabbling in this hobby for a short while, but this is potentially a deep dark hole you're stepping into.
To re-iterate some advice I had received, "go slow." You obviously know what you're doing so this is going to be an enjoyable journey.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 22
Just so I understand the conundrum.

You've decided to set up a smaller dedicated headphone amp/dac near you (the Mojo)
You want to use your phone as the source (iPhone?)
You need a connector from the iphone (lightning?) to micro usb for the Mojo.
https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html#buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back