New to Miles Davis and Jazz
Dec 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #76 of 98
O.k. guys, my first rare pressing is in, the one on top of this list http://www.kind-of-blue.de/seiten/boxen/miles_kob_box.htm CBS/Sony 35DP 62 from 1983.

Comparing to 1997 Legacy SBM CK64935 made it clear what this talk is all about. The old pressing sounds more organic and natural, but also less shouting / agressive and even these impressions are from the very brief session, still like it a lot and gets my recommendation.

Two more to come...

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #77 of 98
Thanks for the feedback Blackmore!! Looking forward to seeing how the other two stack up.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #78 of 98

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Blackmore!! Looking forward to seeing how the other two stack up.

Quote:

Two more to come...

+1 on the feedback Blackmore, I have a few versions of KoB myself, but once I heard the vinyl version, I basically stopped listening to the CDs..................you're inspiring me to revisit the CDs and see what I'm missing.

BTW.  I'm not a CD hater
tongue_smile.gif

Cheers,
CJ

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #79 of 98
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Today I got the opportunity listen to Miles Davis KoB record at somebody else system, where the speakers were the same as my, but the CD player and amp were from Krell.
At the end the guy was shocked by differences between the same 1997 CK63945 he owns as well and the first Japanese pressing. We detect the very same things I already mention, so, its not just two man opinion now, but also from differ set ups.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #80 of 98
Little update.

Got K2HD version and compared to original mastering CD its clearly cleaner sounding. I am not sure how Mastersound, Blue or Gold CD are sounding, I just stop here, if you dont mind, but K2HD is the very best example of what new development / competence have to offer, at least thats the idea behind, I suppose.
Anyway, after several sessions through speakers, K1000 and GS1000, I came to conclusion that original mastering CD is the best and, honestly, I dont understand why they ever re-master the original tape.

Legacy Edition -  EUR 5 ( surprisingly close to original mastering, but still not the same, having upfront and agressive tone )

Original Mastering -  EUR 17 ( the sound is very natural and thats, to me, very important thing, highly recommended )

K2HD Edition -  EUR 27 ( good job here, but only if you never heard the original record, also upfront and agressive tone are there )

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #81 of 98
Could you link to where to get this original mastering? US would be nice too if possible.

Quote:
Little update.

Got K2HD version and compared to original mastering CD its clearly cleaner sounding. I am not sure how Mastersound, Blue or Gold CD are sounding, I just stop here, if you dont mind, but K2HD is the very best example of what new development / competence have to offer, at least thats the idea behind, I suppose.
Anyway, after several sessions through speakers, K1000 and GS1000, I came to conclusion that original mastering CD is the best and, honestly, I dont understand why they ever re-master the original tape.

Legacy Edition -  EUR 5 ( surprisingly close to original mastering, but still not the same, having upfront and agressive tone )

Original Mastering -  EUR 17 ( the sound is very natural and thats, to me, very important thing, highly recommended )

K2HD Edition -  EUR 27 ( good job here, but only if you never heard the original record, also upfront and agressive tone are there )

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #82 of 98
There is only one way to buy this version and thats used, cos its 1983 made, so, check every possible used market websites for CD's or simply Ebay http://www.ebay.nl/itm/260904565705?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 , not sure if he sold this one, but you can ask, if you like of course. I bought my locally and much cheaper to.

Good luck.

Quote:
Could you link to where to get this original mastering? US would be nice too if possible.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #83 of 98

The following is a list of Jazz Albums that seem to show up in most Jazz recommendation threads as well as most top Jazz Album lists. I am pretty new to Jazz so these recommendations are based on research, not personal opinion or knowledge. (I don't even have all of these titles) Just to be clear, by first and second tier I'm only referring to how often the album gets recommended, not the quality of the music itself. I've only included titles from the late '50's and later. I might add BeBop, Big Band and Dixieland to the list in the future.

The first tier is albums that nearly always show up on any recommended\best Jazz album list.  The titles in parentheses are albums that are about a half a notch down from the main album listed and would make a fine substitution if it is cheaper or easier to find.

The second tier is albums that usually get mentioned, especially if the discussion is a longer one.

This list is by no means to be considered comprehensive, its just a bunch of them that I could remember.

Finally I listed some Fusion albums that seem to get mentioned a lot. Some people think that is a good gateway from Rock to Jazz for beginners.

First Tier Jazz Albums for Beginners (Hard Bop & Beyond)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme or Giant Steps (Blue Train)
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Charles Mingus - Ah, Um
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (Head Hunters)
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby or Sunday at the Village Vanguard (Everybody Digs Bill Evans)
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Art Blakey - Moanin'
Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners (Straight, No Chaser, Monk's Dream)
Horace Silver - Song For My Father
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
Getz \ Gilberto - Getz \ Gilberto

Second Tier Jazz Albums

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain, Birth of the Cool,  Miles Ahead, Milestones, ‘Round about Midnight, Steamin', Workin', Relaxin', Cookin'
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things, John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman
Oliver Nelson – The Blues and the Abstract Truth
Eric Dolphy – Out to Lunch!
Hank Mobley – Soul Station
Ornette Coleman – The Shape of Jazz to Come
Thelonius Monk – Genius of Modern Music, Vol. 1, Monk's Music
Charles Mingus – The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Blues & Roots
Wes Montgomery – The Incredible Jazz Guitar of …
Lee Morgan – The Sidewinder
Keith Jarrett – The Koln Concert
Clifford Brown and Max Roach - Study In Brown, Clifford Brown & Max Roach
Grant Green - Idle Moments
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Sonny Rollins - Way Out West
Dexter Gordon - Go

Jazz Fusion

Weather Report – Heavy Weather, Black Market
The Mahavishnu Orchestra – The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire
Chick Corea – Return to Forever
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Tribute To Jack Johnson
Return to Forever -  Romantic Warrior
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters, Thrust
Pat Metheny - First Circle

I hope I dont get flamed for this, but I ran into this list last night and WOW, so I had to resurrect it!  The talent these guys have is second to none!  I'm only listening to these on a clip+ with Re-400, but I'm waiting on my copies from amazon, but just listening to youtube and of course I had to give my father a ring and he happened to have Kind of Blue on Vinyl!  Needless to say this list now has me looking at better IEM's for when I am at work and then a portable rig for at home use. (Fiio x3 and hopefully decent cans to be driven by them for jazz)  I'm a 29 year old who is now letting some of his r&b disc and ALL rap collect dust.  Since lurking on head-fi for past two years, I've now gotten huge into Jazz and Classical!  I know this is a Jazz thread, but what IEM's under $100 would you guys recommend for this music?  Keep in mind I'm only running a clip+ and Hifiman Re-400. The re-400 are nice, but sometimes no bass extension. I'm not a bass head but LOVE accurate sounding bass as if I'm sitting in the club with these Legends!

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #84 of 98
The Shure SE215 has plenty of bass and is decently accurate for jazz.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #85 of 98
The Shure 215 do look aethestically pleasing, but would they match the sound produced by the VSonic GR07 I keep reading about?

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #86 of 98
  Looking for some recommends for what to pick up next.  Only have Kind of Blue right now, but I liked the album a lot.  Looking for something musical, I particularly liked the saxophone medleys in Kind of Blue.  From what I've read a lot of Davis' albums have a different sound, so wasn't sure which album to try next.  Suggestions?

Only one I have is the MFSL SACD of Bitches Brew which I thought sounded fantastic.  I also have this on vinyl that my dad bought new in 1970.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #89 of 98
Nothing compares to Kind of Blue. :)

You can listen to the entire album on Spotify to see for yourself though!

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #90 of 98
Oh, I actually listened two nights ago with my father over a couple cigars!  It wasn't a portable rig, he still has some Klipsch Cornwalls (sp?) or however you say it.  It was a great listening experience!  Wish I could get the same enjoyment out of my clip+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back