New to high end... not a clue what I'm doing.
Jan 23, 2008 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Griefer

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of sure 310's and returned then the next week because of the lack of bass and the things wouldn't stay in my ears :p. So now I'm going to drop the ear canal idea and stick with something I think might be better.

Now I'm looking at sen 595, but I'm hearing just as many bad things as good things about it. I'll primarily be using headphones for games and listening to rock, heavy rock, metal, techno, and acoustic on my pc, and then songs on my ipod. My budget is around $200 and I don't have an amp but might be willing to buy one if it fits in my budget, which it probably won't lol. What is a good pair of headphones for me? Thanks to everyone who helps me in advance!

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 28
your music genre describes grado 'phones perfectly.
around 100$ bucks gets you SR-80s
I had them for about 8 months before I upgraded them to Alessandro MS2s. They did wonders for rock, heavy rock, and anything with guitars. They're wonderful for beginner head-fis and these were my first decent headphones for me.
Another thing I should mention though, is that they're uncomfortable for some because of their rough earpads.

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griefer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's half of my budget... should I just get the SR225?

Absolutely!

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 28
Get the SR225 if you're more confident that you will be comfortable with the Grado style pads. If you're not sure I recommend trying some SR60 or SR80 first and then upgrade if you feel the need.

I have the SR225 and it sounds amazing, especially with rock.

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 28
I prefer the ms-1 to the sr-80/60 but the 225's are nice as well.
I agree with earlier poster that you should defeinitely try the grado style for as long as you can before you buy (I love them, but some people find them really uncomfortable.)

enjoy

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griefer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's half of my budget... should I just get the SR225?

You should just start smoking crack. Much cheaper in the long run.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 28
Soundstage isn't very big on the Grados. If you use them for gaming a lot, you might want to look for something else.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 28
Based on gaming performance alone, I'd highly recommend the HD580s or HD600s. I use to do some semi-pro paid gaming in high school and I found that many pros use 580s and 600s due to the soundstage and precise positioning of where the sound comes from. As someone who considers herself a "fashionable girl", I kind of despised having others see me with those big, bulky things on my head. Even now, I only use big cans at home.

That said, the Sennheisers may not be a very good fit for your genres of music, especially without an amp. But you could probably get very good sound out of a 580 + cheap cMoy amp for about $200.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #14 of 28
Ok so I'm going between the senn hd595, grado sr225, and the the audio technica AD-900. My priority is music, then gaming... so it's probably either going to be the the audio technica AD-900, or the grado sr225.

Also on a side note, I'm buying an xfi-extreme gamer sound card for around $100. Is this worth it or should I put that $100 elsewhere?

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 28
I honestly have the perfect solution for you.

Buy the Grados (SR 80 or SR 225), and then for the computer, buy the Koss KSC75. That's what I use, and the 75 is perfect fro gaming purposes (and general music listening), while the Grado is used for those hard rock out sessions.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back