New to hi-res music, looking for portable setup.
Dec 17, 2020 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bulukaki

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm completely new to hi-res music so I'm looking for a portable setup with $200-300 budget.

Currently eyeing the Acmee MF01 DAP, I heard that it sounds good for its price ($110) and has had a major firmware update recently to support subfolders.

Also looking recommendations for a pair of IEMs to go with it in the $100-150 range but willing to stretch up to $200.

I'm mostly listening to J-pop/trance, but also some instrumental/classical, and to much lesser extent some mainstream pop. On top of that I will use the IEM to play rhythm games on my phone, which mostly have edm/pop/trance/hardstyle/instrumental piano.

I'm considering either Thieaudio L3 or Shuoer Tape Pro but I heard that Thieaudio L4 is a worthy upgrade over L3 so I'm seriously considering that too.

Some reviewers like the Shuoer Tape Pro but some others say it could sound sharp, unnatural and fatiguing. L3 seems like a much safer bet, yet early reviews of the new L4 seem to be very positive.

Edit-- typo

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 6
I can't help with the IEMs, but I also strongly recommend the Hiby R3. I don't think you'll find a better dap for the price. There are two versions. The R3 and R3 Pro. R3 Pro is going to have a brighter, detailed and more analytical sound. The regular R3 will have a more neutral, warm and smooth sound.

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 6
I can't help with the IEMs, but I also strongly recommend the Hiby R3. I don't think you'll find a better dap for the price. There are two versions. The R3 and R3 Pro. R3 Pro is going to have a brighter, detailed and more analytical sound. The regular R3 will have a more neutral, warm and smooth sound.

Thanks, appreciate the recommendation. I'm considering the Acmee Mf01 because I just need a "basic" player, and touchscreen/wi-fi/bluetooth functionality does not add value for me. But the R3 certainly has more flexibility in regards of creating playlists, and if it sounds better than the MF01 then I'll take the R3!

Once again, thanks a lot! :)

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks, appreciate the recommendation. I'm considering the Acmee Mf01 because I just need a "basic" player, and touchscreen/wi-fi/bluetooth functionality does not add value for me. But the R3 certainly has more flexibility in regards of creating playlists, and if it sounds better than the MF01 then I'll take the R3!

Once again, thanks a lot! :)
Sound quality is generally most important, and I doubt you'll be disappointed with the R3. The Mf01 does look interesting, and uses a pretty decent single dac chip. Looks about 3 times as thick as the R3 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back