New to headphones, please help me choose!
Nov 24, 2016 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jettster

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I'm currently looking for open (or closed) over ear headphones that can work for me to listen to mostly electronic music (good bass, detail, sparkly highs etc.) but also be good for FPS (large soundstage, pinpoint accuracy). I was looking at the AD700x, however these forums say that it lacks bass.
Since I'm really new to all the headphone tech and things like that, what other manufacturers can you recommend?

Essentially this is what I'm looking for:
  1. Good bass that doesn't overpower mids or highs
  2. Good soundstage and accuracy
  3. Good detailed sound
  4. No need for an amp, dac, or anything really external to use it
  5. Open or closed over ear headphones
  6. Under 100$
I appreciate all recommendations and if I have any errors in what I'm saying or anything, please tell me.
Thanks!

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 7
  Hello!
I'm currently looking for open (or closed) over ear headphones that can work for me to listen to mostly electronic music (good bass, detail, sparkly highs etc.) but also be good for FPS (large soundstage, pinpoint accuracy). I was looking at the AD700x, however these forums say that it lacks bass.
Since I'm really new to all the headphone tech and things like that, what other manufacturers can you recommend?

Essentially this is what I'm looking for:
  1. Good bass that doesn't overpower mids or highs
  2. Good soundstage and accuracy
  3. Good detailed sound
  4. No need for an amp, dac, or anything really external to use it
  5. Open or closed over ear headphones
  6. Under 100$
I appreciate all recommendations and if I have any errors in what I'm saying or anything, please tell me.
Thanks!

Welcome to Head-Fi....

Just so you know,this exact question gets asked about 2-3 times a week,you can use the search feature and find the answer to pretty much any question you might have.

As for your headphone....i have the answer that checks each and every one of your requirements,except for the sub 100.00 price....Fidelio X1 or X2.

Check the for Sale section,you might be able to snag a used pair for 130.00-150.00

If your budget has no flexibility or you dont want used I do not know anything under 100.00 that comes close.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 7
Good soundstage comes from open headphones. Stronger bass impact comes from closed headphones. Which is more important to you? Closed headphones are also likely to make your ears uncomfortably hot, except when used outdoors in cold weather. You might be able to get isolation, good midrange detail, and strong bass, plus okay soundstage from hybrid IEMs(in the ear canal isolating earphones, with a balanced armature and a dynamic driver in each earphone).

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 7
A $2,000 headphone doesn't sound 10 times as good as an excellent $200 one. It might sound around 30% better though. Unless you are extremely wealthy and have great hearing, spending 10 times as much for perhaps a 30% improvement doesn't make sense. That is why I won't spend over $200 for a headphone.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 7

Welcome to Head-Fi....

Just so you know,this exact question gets asked about 2-3 times a week,you can use the search feature and find the answer to pretty much any question you might have.

As for your headphone....i have the answer that checks each and every one of your requirements,except for the sub 100.00 price....Fidelio X1 or X2.

Check the for Sale section,you might be able to snag a used pair for 130.00-150.00

If your budget has no flexibility or you dont want used I do not know anything under 100.00 that comes close.

Fidelio doesn't look too bad, is the bass incredibly prominent? While I do want bass, I don't really want overpowering bass, just enough that I can hear it maybe as eqaully or more than mids and highs.
  Good soundstage comes from open headphones. Stronger bass impact comes from closed headphones. Which is more important to you? Closed headphones are also likely to make your ears uncomfortably hot, except when used outdoors in cold weather. You might be able to get isolation, good midrange detail, and strong bass, plus okay soundstage from hybrid IEMs(in the ear canal isolating earphones, with a balanced armature and a dynamic driver in each earphone).

Good to know. I just want good enough bass, nothing too overwhelming. The only reason I want to stay away from IEMs is because they've usually hurt in the past (although I've only just used Apple earbuds)

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 7

Fidelio doesn't look too bad, is the bass incredibly prominent? While I do want bass, I don't really want overpowering bass, just enough that I can hear it maybe as eqaully or more than mids and highs.
Good to know. I just want good enough bass, nothing too overwhelming. The only reason I want to stay away from IEMs is because they've usually hurt in the past (although I've only just used Apple earbuds)

Fidelio X1(the model i own and use 100% for gaming on my PS4)has good impact,but not overpowering at all.
It doesnt have the clarity of an AKG K7 series,but the 7 series def needs an amp,the Fidelio doesnt.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 7

IEMs vary greatly as far as comfort, and changing the tips can often make them much more comfortable. IEMs take time to get used to. Initially I hated them. now I like them. The IEMs that I find to typically be the most comfortable are those with an ergonomic design, with the nozzles coming out from near the edge at an angle. Like this one for example. Since the Fiio EX1 is ported though, its isolation isn't great, although the ports improve the sound stage.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundnews.ro%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2FFiio-EX1-1-of-1-4.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundnews.ro%2F2015%2F10%2F05%2Fex1-first-earphones-from-fiio%2F&docid=cb-PvR7eKdDIDM&tbnid=oKJChzBvhn5VNM%3A&vet=1&w=1280&h=834&bih=774&biw=1450&ved=0ahUKEwjt77KPq8LQAhXG7IMKHVEKA7YQMwgjKAYwBg&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=834&imgdii=oKJChzBvhn5VNM%3A%3BoKJChzBvhn5VNM%3A%3BP0rcVybeeLO8cM%3A&vet=1&w=1280

Users who are viewing this thread

Back