New to head-fi
Oct 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lexar

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around the head-fi forums for a little over a year now, and finally decided to create an account. I have really been enjoying |joker|'s recommendation threads, the head-fi guides...

I am a headphone enthusiast and have amassed a fairly decent selection of headphones over the last few years.

Right now, my "listen at work" gear is an O2/ODAC from JDSLabs hooked up to some Mad Dogs from MrSpeakers (I'm in line for the upgrade to alpha dogs).

For casual listening I have some Sennheiser HD239, I use my custom-molded Etymotic HF5 for commuting, have some Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9 for longer plane rides where the HF5 get too uncomfortable (I'm talking 5+ hours).

Retired headphones I still have lying around or gave to my spouse/kids: Jaycar Pro Monitor, Sennheiser PXC310, Bose IE2, Klipsch S4.

I hope to be able to make helpful contributions and look forward to getting to know people better.

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 9
What, no questions about what to spend your money on? I haven't seen a dedicated intro for a while, makes a pleasant change :)

I'd give you the traditional "Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet" but sounds like it's a bit late for that!

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 9
My wallet has definitely been feeling it already.

I'm not really looking for advice right now, maybe more getting to know people who love headphones and music the way I do.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 9
sounds like you have most everything covered. What portable source do you use? I think the Sansa players live up to what the O2/ODAC designer wrote about them. What sorta music are you into? Have you heard a lot of phones? 

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 9
For portable source, I use my phone mostly: more convenient than carrying a Sansa (I have a clip and a e280 that are both collecting dust). I have been thinking about getting a portable DAC/amp as well but the (relative) scarcity of USB audio over OTG makes it too limiting to choose a phone. Hopefully that'll change.

I have very varied musical tastes, mostly depending on my mood I listen to rock (punk, alternative, funk...), electronic (big beat, breakbeat, dubstep...) or even classical music (Beethoven is a long time favorite).

I've heard quite a few headphones, and every time I see a pair of cans I haven't tried around the office I always ask if I can give them a try and potentially trade them for a few days (that works for DACs too, although those are much fewer and farther between).

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 9
did you ever read the Sansa clip+ measured review the O2 designer wrote? 

At this point, you've got enough stuff to where it may just be fun to try different phones and see if there's any you want. That's what I do. I'm about done spending hundreds or thousands on sources and amps. O2 does the job well enough for me. I'd have to hear something that really amazed me to fork over a lot of cash again. The quality of stuff from the bigger brands has gone up a lot the last couple years. I'm betting we'll see all sorts of cool 3-d printed headphones in time as well.

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 9
  For portable source, I use my phone mostly: more convenient than carrying a Sansa (I have a clip and a e280 that are both collecting dust). I have been thinking about getting a portable DAC/amp as well but the (relative) scarcity of USB audio over OTG makes it too limiting to choose a phone. Hopefully that'll change.

I have very varied musical tastes, mostly depending on my mood I listen to rock (punk, alternative, funk...), electronic (big beat, breakbeat, dubstep...) or even classical music (Beethoven is a long time favorite).

I've heard quite a few headphones, and every time I see a pair of cans I haven't tried around the office I always ask if I can give them a try and potentially trade them for a few days (that works for DACs too, although those are much fewer and farther between).

Same here.  I'd say not to think too much into portable audio.  The headphones is the most important component in portable audio.  I'm rocking my Focal Spirit One for portable use!  The KEF M500 doesn't isolate well enough.

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 9

did you ever read the Sansa clip+ measured review the O2 designer wrote? 

At this point, you've got enough stuff to where it may just be fun to try different phones and see if there's any you want. That's what I do. I'm about done spending hundreds or thousands on sources and amps. O2 does the job well enough for me. I'd have to hear something that really amazed me to fork over a lot of cash again. The quality of stuff from the bigger brands has gone up a lot the last couple years. I'm betting we'll see all sorts of cool 3-d printed headphones in time as well.

Yes, I read the review of the Sansa clip+, but again my phone is something I always have with me and I always keep charged. Not so much for the Sansa or other potential source devices.

I think other than getting open back full-size headphones, I've pretty much reached the point of diminishing returns. I was able to listen to HD600s and HD800, and wow... what a difference it makes. Unfortunately I do most of my listening in areas where I need to have closed-back headphones 
triportsad.gif
 so they wouldn't get much love.

Same here.  I'd say not to think too much into portable audio.  The headphones is the most important component in portable audio.  I'm rocking my Focal Spirit One for portable use!  The KEF M500 doesn't isolate well enough.

I don't know if I would go that far: I would love to be able to listen to really high quality audio on the go and my phone clearly isn't a good enough source to drive any pair of really nice headphones. I just don't think I travel enough and it's still too inconvenient to try and find a decent portable rig. That might change in the future though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back