New to Head-FI and getting into Headphones
May 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gcannon

New Head-Fier
I am selling off a 14 y/o 7.1 HT system and replacing with a nice headphone system. I started with B&W P7's (my home system had 7x B&W Nautilus speakers) and PBS Speakers and they were good, but the Senn HD650s had me returning the B&Ws and PBS's to BB.

After doing research while listening to the Senn's, I've now ordered Hifiman HE-6s with EF-6 amp from Crutchfield with a 60-day return policy. I'm also looking to get an Emotiva UPA-200 amp to power the HE-6's to see if I can save >$1,000 on the EF-6. I'll keep the EF-6 if it is much better, but send it back if the Emotiva is equal or very close.

I also have an Emotiva DC-1 DAC/preamp I will be using. So my system will be: laptop (running JRiver hi-res audio files) > DC-1 > EF-6 > HE-6.

All of these have "no questions asked" return policies of varying times.  I'm having a great time trying all this gear out and will return what I don't want. Getting the Hifiman gear of Friday so will be playing all weekend!

May 21, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 4
You may find that the HE-6 is not all that it is cut out to be and there might just be other alternatives for much less that are way easier to drive.

That was my finding.

May 22, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 4
The HE-6 is an outstanding can when properly driven--and the (not so cheap) EF-6 will certainly do the job.  Along with the HD 800, the HE-6 is at the top of my personal headphone tier--at least among those many cans that I own.  [I have heard the Orpheus and it is very best that I have heard to date.]

If I want body, I go for the HE-6.

See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE6

May 22, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Interesting, I have a feeling I'll end up with the Jade2 to use with my srm-t1. The power requirenments and weight of he-6 turn me off. But there are sooo many interesting cans out there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back