New to Audio. Need help.
May 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

invrlose

Head-Fier
Hey there I'm looking for a good audio setup for gaming as well as music. So far I have seen people recommend the Sennheiser HD 598 as they are good for gaming and suitable for music as well. My question is, should I buy a sound card or DAC. What are the pros and cons for both? Is DAC able to simulate the surround sound and all of the features that a dedicated sound card can do?

Sorry for being completely clueless, thx. 

May 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Hey there I'm looking for a good audio setup for gaming as well as music. So far I have seen people recommend the Sennheiser HD 598 as they are good for gaming and suitable for music as well. My question is, should I buy a sound card or DAC. What are the pros and cons for both? Is DAC able to simulate the surround sound and all of the features that a dedicated sound card can do?

I asked pretty much the same question not long ago.  See http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/658413 for details.

Also, I'm about to pick up some 598's as well.  The resemblance is uncanny.

May 21, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
 Is DAC able to simulate the surround sound and all of the features that a dedicated sound card can do?

No. Xonar DG(X) is a good (and cheap) exemple of multi-purpose sound card.  It must be others, of course.

May 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 8
IMO, you can't go wrong with the HD598s.

May 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 8
I've decided on 598. I've also decided on buying the sound blaster zx for a few reasons.

I don't need a high end dac, and 598 doesn't need an amp to drive it. The card I picked has an external controller and a mic as well so I won't need to buy a mic.

Tell me what you think. My setup would be pc>sound blaster> hd 598.

May 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I've decided on 598. I've also decided on buying the sound blaster zx for a few reasons.

I don't need a high end dac, and 598 doesn't need an amp to drive it. The card I picked has an external controller and a mic as well so I won't need to buy a mic.

Tell me what you think. My setup would be pc>sound blaster> hd 598.

Looks alright to me. You should be set for a few months, until the audiophile bug bites you again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back