New to audio here. I really, really need help into my quest for better audio for game and music (better headphones). Thanks!
Jan 5, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #17 of 36
While I have heard that the Game 0 and Game 1 have some of the best sound quality of gaming headsets seen, and they bear striking visual similarities to the HD 5__ series.
I do not know enough about them to give you any conclusion.  If you want a mic, I can recommend some companies, however, for the Game _ series, I will not be of good service.

I think that any of the 5__ series would be good, it's simply a question of price.  I know that the HD 5_8 are the second latest generation, however the 5_9 came out in the past 6 months.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #18 of 36
Glad you made your pick!  I believe them both to be amazing headphones

I hope you enjoy whichever you purchase.
-Nemo

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #19 of 36
  Glad you made your pick!  I believe them both to be amazing headphones

I hope you enjoy whichever you purchase.
-Nemo

​Thank you Nemo! your advice and guidance has been top notch. I really appreciate that.

I just have my two last questions.

Do I need an amp if I buy the Sennheisers? any of the HD5 series. If yeah, which one would be good?

Thanks,
AQ

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #20 of 36
After some reviews, research and analysis. I took the decision to pull the trigger for the Philips Fidelio X2. Thank you so much for all your help, guidance and advice. It is extremely appreciated.

I'll update this post after testing the Fidelio X2 to see if those meet my needs. If no, I will refund them, and get the Sennheisers probably.

Thanks again!
AQ

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #21 of 36
Well that didn't take long to make your decision.  I hope you love your new headphones, I doubt I will have to worry though.
If you need advice for any other part of your audio setup like a mic or an amp, we can also help you out with that.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #22 of 36
Just wanna throw my 2 cents in:
The Sennheiser HD5__ series is great for gaming (spent a few days with my friend's HD598) but I personally felt the sub-bass was rolled off, and that made for a very incomplete listening experience for metal. I really disliked them for music, but they were fantastic for gaming.

A closed back option you may consider is the Meze 99 Classics. I've had them for the last few days and I can say that they are by far the best headphone I have heard to date. The soundstage is surprisingly large for a closed back headphone, and the sound signature is very fun. Good bass, with a slight emphasis on mid-bass but good extension down low as well, and great mids and highs as well. Truthfully I am having a really tough time finding fault with their sound signature. haven't tried them for gaming quite yet, but I will soon, and I have no doubt they will be great for it.
They may be about $10 over your budget though (depending on where you are), so you may have to find them used.
Ahh....... there was a second page. Sorry, didn't realize you had already  made your decision. Hope you enjoy the Fidelio. I almost bought them, but I needed closed back so I went with the Meze.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #23 of 36
  Well that didn't take long to make your decision.  I hope you love your new headphones, I doubt I will have to worry though.
If you need advice for any other part of your audio setup like a mic or an amp, we can also help you out with that.

Thanks a ton Nemo!​ I'll let you know if something pops up. Got the Fidelio's X2 from Newegg for $286.99. No regrets, and excited as hell to see if they are worth it.

Thanks again!

Wish you the best,
AQ

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #24 of 36
  Just wanna throw my 2 cents in:
The Sennheiser HD5__ series is great for gaming (spent a few days with my friend's HD598) but I personally felt the sub-bass was rolled off, and that made for a very incomplete listening experience for metal. I really disliked them for music, but they were fantastic for gaming.

A closed back option you may consider is the Meze 99 Classics. I've had them for the last few days and I can say that they are by far the best headphone I have heard to date. The soundstage is surprisingly large for a closed back headphone, and the sound signature is very fun. Good bass, with a slight emphasis on mid-bass but good extension down low as well, and great mids and highs as well. Truthfully I am having a really tough time finding fault with their sound signature. haven't tried them for gaming quite yet, but I will soon, and I have no doubt they will be great for it.
They may be about $10 over your budget though (depending on where you are), so you may have to find them used.
Ahh....... there was a second page. Sorry, didn't realize you had already  made your decision. Hope you enjoy the Fidelio. I almost bought them, but I needed closed back so I went with the Meze.

​Hey there!

I just read that. Thank you so much for your input PL4Y3R! definitely please let me know how it goes for gaming on those. They sound interesting! I may try the Fidelios atm, but if they don't work. I will go with Sennheiser. If Sennheiser for any reason don't works for me, I think I will try the ones you are telling me.

On note with those, but definitely. If you have some time after the testing with gaming. Let me know how it goes. Those sound badass. I love metal and I also plan to test some DOOM on the new ones.

I'll let you guys know what happened after the testings with the Fidelios.

Wish yah good!
AQ

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #25 of 36
  After some reviews, research and analysis. I took the decision to pull the trigger for the Philips Fidelio X2. Thank you so much for all your help, guidance and advice. It is extremely appreciated.

I'll update this post after testing the Fidelio X2 to see if those meet my needs. If no, I will refund them, and get the Sennheisers probably.

Thanks again!
AQ

I use the X1(essentially the same headphone as the X2)coupled with an Astro MixAmp 2013...that gives you the 7.1 surround you were asking for earlier.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #26 of 36
  I use the X1(essentially the same headphone as the X2)coupled with an Astro MixAmp 2013...that gives you the 7.1 surround you were asking for earlier.

Hey monsterzero!

definitely I think that's what I am looking for also. Do you think it would be wise to mix the X2 (in case I decide to keep them) with the Astro MixAmp? or should I go with a Sennheiser Amp? this to get the surround 7.1.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Love your avatar, I like a lot The Ramones :).

Best Regards,
AQ

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #27 of 36

Hey monsterzero!

definitely I think that's what I am looking for also. Do you think it would be wise to mix the X2 (in case I decide to keep them) with the Astro MixAmp? or should I go with a Sennheiser Amp? this to get the surround 7.1.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Love your avatar, I like a lot The Ramones :).

Best Regards,
AQ

I dont know what Senn amp youre talking about,but the X2 doesnt even need an amp...the MixAmp gives the 7.1 surround and can drive it to ear deafening volumes....so yes I would say go for that combo. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #28 of 36
The Sennheiser probably sounds better, Astro just doesn't have that level of reputation.
However, brand new, the Sennheiser costs $100 more than the Astro so it mostly comes downs to price

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #29 of 36
  The Sennheiser probably sounds better, Astro just doesn't have that level of reputation.
However, brand new, the Sennheiser costs $100 more than the Astro so it mostly comes downs to price

True this hmm.

I dont know what Senn amp youre talking about,but the X2 doesnt even need an amp...the MixAmp gives the 7.1 surround and can drive it to ear deafening volumes....so yes I would say go for that combo. 

Talking about the GSX series. HardwareCanucks went deep into them. Check them out if you have some free time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGX069Zo8kE

Thanks again guys! your input is superb. But, in the end. The positional audio on the Fidelio X2 isn't as good as the Logitech G633 virtual 7.1? (Logitech has two options on the gaming app. Dolby and DTS) I was thinking that maybe I could try the Razer Synapse app to emulate the positional feeling, but 7.1 is not really, or extremely needed. If in the end I can get better audio by sacrificing the virtual or "fake" 7.1 via software. I can live with that.

In the other hand, I am curious to see if amps can drive 7.1 way better than software 7.1 hmm. I may try some for sure in the future. So as for right now. It may be. MixAmp vs Sennheiser GSX (I need to think about which one from the GSX too hmm, yeah.). But that can definitely wait. I need to see if the Fidelio X2 are what I am looking for first.

I believe those will arrive in one week from now or less. No more than that I think. Excited to see what the Fidelio X2 can do :).

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #30 of 36
I believe those will arrive in one week from now or less. No more than that I think. Excited to see what the Fidelio X2 can do :).

Can't wait to hear what they can do!
Tried the meze for gaming (fallout 4) and directional audio wasn't great, but that was without any digital sound processing whatsoever and it was still pretty good. What was great was overall immersion. The sound is very natural, and it's a really great experience overall.
Will try with digital surround soon. Most likely tonight. Hopefully the positioning will be better, even though it wasn't horrible to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back