Here is a new dac from T+A
http://www.taelektroakustik.de/index.php?id=350&L=1
on the paper it looks great.
what u guys think?
thx

May 16, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 31
1890€ it has preamp, headPhone out

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 31
This company was making very interesting CD players with delta-sigma dac's for bass and multibit for mid-high 15 years ago ... you and me have different definitions for "established". :)

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:
This company was making very interesting CD players with delta-sigma dac's for bass and multibit for mid-high 15 years ago ... you and me have different definitions for "established".
smily_headphones1.gif

Does not matter what they were making 25 years ago. It only matters, that they are late to the high-end DAC party. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:
This company was making very interesting CD players with delta-sigma dac's for bass and multibit for mid-high 15 years ago ... you and me have different definitions for "established".
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds to me the wrong way around - multibit for bass, S-D for HF would've been better. Interesting innovation I agree -  I once helped design (mid-90s this was) a 4-way digital XO using the same idea.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 31
Ah I find that S-D DACs destroy the rhythm and multibit DACs sound a tad rougher at the top...
tongue_smile.gif

Found this in their technical brief for the Pulsar CD 1220R - http://www.taelektroakustik.de/fileadmin/pdf/archiv/r-serie/CD_1220_R_EN.pdf

2-way converter

Multi-bit and Sigma/Delta (1-bit) converters each have their own advantages in terms of 
sound quality. Whereas the multi-bit converter provides outstandingly impressive and
well rounded sound characteristics, especially in the bass range, Sigma/Delta converters offer 
unexcelled clarity, fine detail and resolution in the high-frequency range. For the first time in 
the world the CD 1220 R combines the advantages of both types of converter.
In fact the  CD 1220 R features no fewer than three converters on each channel: two 
Sigma/Delta converters in double-differential mode  and an additional 20-bit multi-bit
colinear converter. The multibit DAC is responsible for the conversion process in the bass 
T+A - Produktarchiv CD 1220 Rrange, while the primary use of the Sigma/Delta types is in
the mid-range / treble area.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 31
Yes, it seems you are right, they do use multibit for bass and SD for mid-high. Maybe the situation is different when you want ultimate articulation/detail and natural sound at the same time.

But my experience is inverse ... from what I tested the delta-sigma dac was better articulated on the bass and the multibit dac was better on the speakers. IMO on most speakers in real rooms the bass is too wooly and the multibit natural decay is lost anyway, the delta sigma articulation helps even if it accentuates the leading edges of sounds and sounds less natural.

When I read their description, I presumed they think the same as me ... If I must choose one of them, I choose multibit. :)

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:
 ... If I must choose one of them, I choose multibit.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do choose and I agree - multibit for me too. But I'm curious if S-D's defects might get hidden by restricting it to my tweeters only. But the crossover must be digital, before the signal's sent to the DACs. Its a bit tricky to implement because S-D chips contain digital filters and those are delaying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back