New Successor to DX300 DX240
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #31 of 48
Maybe there's no DX160 successor, this will replace both DX220 and DX160.

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #32 of 48

Can anyone enlighten us on the Mandarin text? Does it all seem legit?

Just now,
It's official...

1630854662964.png

1630854527237.png

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #33 of 48
Maybe there's no DX160 successor, this will replace both DX220 and DX160.

Anything goes right now, I suppose.
By history, after the max release, a 160 successor is next.
I thought the 200 series is done-no more, so I thought...

Sep 5, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #34 of 48
Did you get the DX300? Or did you not get it for price/sound reasons?

The 9038 Pro doesn't necessarily indicate how good it'll sound too. I hope it doesn't go the way the DX300 did and make it sound warm.
I didn’t get it, no. It sounded a little artificial to me, a tad pushy. It is very good of course, but didn’t make me want to put down over $1000 for it, esp. since the form factor severely limits use cases. Also in terms of DAC it didn’t resolve like crazy, whereas the SE180 made me understand details and placement in familiar songs I’d never gotten before - thanks to that desktop-grade 9038Pro. It felt otherwise profoundly unexciting, like it was playing music absent-mindedly, the opposite of the DX300 which sounded eager and involved.
I must say I preferred my N3Pro to both for sound quality, without consideration of price - but the user experience with the Cayin is restricted, hence my auditioning Android DAPs.
It seems I will have to keep my N3Pro for tube sound, as the DX240 won’t support Amp9…

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #35 of 48
Sep 6, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #36 of 48
To gather interested parties i.e. enlist, to include amp9 as an option to the upcoming release, is kind of a moot point at the moment.
What do guys think?
It's unfortunate, I for one can hear distinctions. The amp 9 tuning @ amp stage being tubes, is so special. The mids are very fluid, very hi-fi - as opposed to the solid state. This include other brand makers. The bass is huge and really well extended, all nuance audible. the treble extends naturally, very well and full bodied. Not a hint of being thin and unnatural.
Even the most poised and relaxed in ears come to life on this device.
The 229, even with the new release exhibits large desktop size imaging and exceptional 3d holography - for a portable...

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #37 of 48
I didn’t get it, no. It sounded a little artificial to me, a tad pushy. It is very good of course, but didn’t make me want to put down over $1000 for it, esp. since the form factor severely limits use cases. Also in terms of DAC it didn’t resolve like crazy, whereas the SE180 made me understand details and placement in familiar songs I’d never gotten before - thanks to that desktop-grade 9038Pro. It felt otherwise profoundly unexciting, like it was playing music absent-mindedly, the opposite of the DX300 which sounded eager and involved.
I must say I preferred my N3Pro to both for sound quality, without consideration of price - but the user experience with the Cayin is restricted, hence my auditioning Android DAPs.
It seems I will have to keep my N3Pro for tube sound, as the DX240 won’t support Amp9…
I was going to post a detailed comparison between my N3Pro and DX160 originally. But the DX160 was a little to a lot better in every aspect so it wasn't really fair, price aside, so i scrapped it. Wouldn't look good anyways as it would appear like I'm shilling for iBasso even though I got the N3Pro for "free" (N5ii RMA)
To gather interested parties i.e. enlist, to include amp9 as an option to the upcoming release, is kind of a moot point at the moment.
What do guys think?
It's unfortunate, I for one can hear distinctions. The amp 9 tuning @ amp stage being tubes, is so special. The mids are very fluid, very hi-fi - as opposed to the solid state. This include other brand makers. The bass is huge and really well extended, all nuance audible. the treble extends naturally, very well and full bodied. Not a hint of being thin and unnatural.
Even the most poised and relaxed in ears come to life on this device.
The 229, even with the new release exhibits large desktop size imaging and exceptional 3d holography - for a portable...
Unfortunately with this form factor AMP 9 would be an impossibility. That is unless they make it extend beyond the size of the dap.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #38 of 48
I was going to post a detailed comparison between my N3Pro and DX160 originally. But the DX160 was a little to a lot better in every aspect so it wasn't really fair, price aside, so i scrapped it.
Even bass tone on tube output? :frowning:
I haven’t found any DAP remotely as good even above $1K.

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #39 of 48
Last year or so, there was a ww tour of the N3 pro, i even pmed andy to include me in the tour, but didn't reply.
I'm a little biased toward tube powered daps whatever brand they are...

Sep 7, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #40 of 48
Last year or so, there was a ww tour of the N3 pro, i even pmed andy to include me in the tour, but didn't reply.
I'm a little biased toward tube powered daps whatever brand they are...
I hope you get to try it. It’s different from the Korg implementations. In some ways I like the N3Pro better than the N8 which I briefly auditioned!
On detail retrieval and general fidelity I’m sure the DX240 will be in another league, the N3Pro is really all about musicality and emotion.
You are probably aware but Astell&Kern are including a Korg Nutube in the upcoming SP2000T.

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #41 of 48
I hope you get to try it. It’s different from the Korg implementations. In some ways I like the N3Pro better than the N8 which I briefly auditioned!
On detail retrieval and general fidelity I’m sure the DX240 will be in another league, the N3Pro is really all about musicality and emotion.
You are probably aware but Astell&Kern are including a Korg Nutube in the upcoming SP2000T.
Yea, very interested on hearing the N3 Pro.

I'm staying away from anything AK right now. 1 ak dap experience is enough for me...

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #43 of 48
Even bass tone on tube output? :frowning:
I haven’t found any DAP remotely as good even above $1K.
Not sure what you mean by bass tone specifically but extension, control and even bass detail on the DX160 was better. I was using Lurker's mod in mango mode which makes the DX160 sound a little better than stock btw.

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #44 of 48
Paul started an official thread

usd.911
1633006108184.png

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #45 of 48

Users who are viewing this thread

Back